Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
charger356
UG's Mr. Nice Guy

"Stay" [Soundcloud]

Here's my first full original that I've recorded. It has a simple rock feel with an atmospheric approach towards the chorus. I'm still learning a lot about tracking and mixing properly, so if you could please give it a listen and let me know what areas I can improve on I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

http://soundcloud.com/danpoisson/stay

show
charger356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
WeTheGods
Dbag

This is actually very, very impressive. I think the drums are a bit too loud, though. The guitars and bass sound great, though.
WeTheGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Commenting as I listen. First thing I notice is a really love the melody you have with the piano for the intro. The guitars sounds great in this but the drums are slightly loud. I agree with ^. The drums also sound like they're midi? It just sounds robotic to me. It doesn't sound band just extremely well executed. Almost to perfect ya know? if it is indeed live drums my compliments for being so tight. The song flows really well. Really great stuff; honestly! If that's the first song you've ever written then damn I'm jealous.

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1574971

Thanks, Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
charger356
UG's Mr. Nice Guy

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I bumped the levels on the drums immediately before uploading the track. One thing I've learned about mixing is that when you're constantly listening to the track for hours on end, everything kind've starts blurring together. So it's good to have some of you guys' fresh ears listening to it and helping me out.

@Kevin - Yes, the drums are MIDI. I'm using EZDrummer and still learning how to go about programming the drums to a desired beat rather than just using the installed fills and grooves. The whole process has definitely been a learning experience. lol.. Thanks for the input, bud!

show
Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

I really liked this song. It's not normally my style, but it was very upbeat and well-done. Only thing I would do is turn the cymbals down a bit; that's more of a personal preference though. The paino really fits well with the guitar, I think. Nicely done!

I'll tag you for a crit later on. Cool?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger356
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I bumped the levels on the drums immediately before uploading the track. One thing I've learned about mixing is that when you're constantly listening to the track for hours on end, everything kind've starts blurring together. So it's good to have some of you guys' fresh ears listening to it and helping me out.

@Kevin - Yes, the drums are MIDI. I'm using EZDrummer and still learning how to go about programming the drums to a desired beat rather than just using the installed fills and grooves. The whole process has definitely been a learning experience. lol.. Thanks for the input, bud!

EZ drummer is a great program. I actually have it! Though I don't use it very often anymore. I can't provide any tips regarding that unfortunately. The drums don't sound bad just to perfect to my ears! Will you be putting vocals on this? I'd love to hear a final product if so.
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
charger356
UG's Mr. Nice Guy

@crazysam - Thanks a lot, man! And yes, I agree with your input. I've lowered the drum tracks on the master. Can't wait to hear your stuff!

@Kevin - I do plan on eventually putting some vocals over this. I recently ordered a condenser mic and I'm just waiting for it in the mail. I'll shoot you a message whenever I get the song all put together. Thanks again, brother.

show
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger356
@crazysam - Thanks a lot, man! And yes, I agree with your input. I've lowered the drum tracks on the master. Can't wait to hear your stuff!

Awesome! Thanks. I'll probably post a profile comment or something next week.

Now, let me give another listen through. I really do like this song.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: