Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #3421
that guy again
UG's Voltron

And the Pepsi man claims first post in NZ thread for 2014!!

Annnnd you probably won't see me again for months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyIllness
[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
that guy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #3422
Artema
Ghost of Artema

Hello my possums.

"Ladies and gents."

That concludes our tour of the toilets.
Artema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #3423
chaoticfables
all she needed was some

whoa what the hell is that a person in this thread

soundcloud
a stupid scrapbook for my music
chaoticfables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #3424
GoldfishMoon
UG's almost-doctor

Oh wow this thread is still going? Hello New Zealand. Is it just me, or has it been really ****ing hot lately?
GoldfishMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 AM   #3425
20Tigers

Hell yeah it's hot and I'm loving it!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:35 AM   #3426
GoldfishMoon
UG's almost-doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Hell yeah it's hot and I'm loving it!!!

I'm keen to move to somewhere colder asap. I'm like, the anti-New Zealander. I hate summer/the beach (Too goddamn hot). I hate rugby. I don't give a **** about conserving the Kiwi/Maui dolphins/whatever other bullshit animal people care about (Those animals lost the evolutionary arms race, they suck at surviving, we don't need to help them, it's time for them to die). I think the Haka is cringe worthy to watch.

I don't usually share these views with people because people tend to get irrationally mad about them..... this is really only the 2nd/3rd time i've said any of this to anyone. This is a nice country and I'm glad I live here but I feel like I share nothing in common with 90% of people that were born here. When I go on subreddits like r/NewZealand I feel so disconnected from the views of basically everyone there.

Last edited by GoldfishMoon : 01-13-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #3427
20Tigers

Haha, fair enough.

I love it here. I just hate NZ winters. It's cold and wet but not cold enough to snow - lame.

NZ summer is awesome.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 AM   #3428
GoldfishMoon
UG's almost-doctor

Does it snow in wellington? I'm keen to move down there from auckland when I graduate. It seems rainy, windy, cloudy, and cold, i'm sure i'll love it. The only thing I also want is snow. I quite love snowboarding but I never get a chance to do it up here.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:48 AM   #3429
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishMoon
I'm keen to move to somewhere colder asap. I'm like, the anti-New Zealander. I hate summer/the beach (Too goddamn hot). I hate rugby. I don't give a **** about conserving the Kiwi/Maui dolphins/whatever other bullshit animal people care about (Those animals lost the evolutionary arms race, they suck at surviving, we don't need to help them, it's time for them to die). I think the Haka is cringe worthy to watch.

I don't usually share these views with people because people tend to get irrationally mad about them..... this is really only the 2nd/3rd time i've said any of this to anyone. This is a nice country and I'm glad I live here but I feel like I share nothing in common with 90% of people that were born here. When I go on subreddits like r/NewZealand I feel so disconnected from the views of basically everyone there.

You just named like every reason I love New Zealand and I'm not even from there

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #3430
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishMoon
Does it snow in wellington? I'm keen to move down there from auckland when I graduate. It seems rainy, windy, cloudy, and cold, i'm sure i'll love it. The only thing I also want is snow. I quite love snowboarding but I never get a chance to do it up here.

No. It did snow a few years ago and we built a seven foot snowman in the front yard. But that's a once in 40 year event.

You want to move to Tauranga or something. It's close enough to snowboard a Ruapehu in winter and water ski in the lake during summer.

Failing that you got to go down the South Island - Dunedin or something. I heard that on occasion you can see the southern lights from Dunedin, and it gets cold down there.

It also has the steepest street in the world.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:14 AM   #3431
GoldfishMoon
UG's almost-doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
You just named like every reason I love New Zealand and I'm not even from there

Hahaha, yeah, you'd love it here then! Nothing against NZ'ers, I just don't 'get' it when it comes to our culture. I have no concept whatsoever of national pride (either for NZ or my original country of birth) especially when it comes to supporting sports teams.

In the 2013 america's cup, when we got to 8-1 one win away from beating America, they redesigned their boat, and caught up. They then incredibly won 8 races in a row to win the cup 9-8. I thought this was both amazing and absolutely hilarious. As I watched everyone around me shocked at what was happening (many were actually upset) I just silently thought to myself about how incredible it was. I didn't dare say anything out loud, but I was so happy when the finally won it 9-8. It was great to watch, I didn't understand why everyone around me was so upset. Some people from your country racing boats lost, who cares, you don't even know them, isn't it more impressive that a team caught up completely and won while on the brink of losing?

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike people because of the culture or anything like that. I don't think i'm 'better' than them or anything, I just don't share the same beliefs, and that's fine, I don't judge them for it, but they sure as hell judge me, and that's why I'm sorta growing a dislike of that sort of person.

As I said before, I don't like rugby very much, but in the last world cup, I did watch a few games of Wales in the group stages, and I thought they played with a lot of passion and they actually made the game a bit interesting to watch because they played with so much heart. Being as they were the first team to make me even mildly interested in rugby, I decided to support them. They were knocked out in the semi-finals. AT that point, I made a post on facebook saying how I was sad that they got knocked out because they were my favourite team and I wanted to see them go and win it, and an NZ vs Wales final would have been great to watch. I did not say "lol NZ sucks' or make fun of the All Blacks in any way, ALL I said was that Wales vs NZ would have made a good final because they were both good teams, and that I wanted Wales to win because they were my favourite to watch and I like how they had played so far. BIG mistake. The amount of hate I got was insane. "OMG how codl you say that, why dont you support NZ!" "Wtf delete this don't you support NZ" etc etc etc. It's INSANE. The way people support sports teams here is just ******ed, I hate it. I would understand that response if I slagged of the All Blacks, but i didn't do that at all, all I did was show support for a different team, and apparently thats enough to be harassed over. THAT sort of culture is what I really detest in NZ. If you're not 100% blindly supporting our teams in international sports, you are a horrible human being apparently. I fully understand not insulting national teams especially during a major event, but seriously, all that abuse over simply stating that I wanted my team to win? Those are the situations were i honestly just hate this country and the people in it. Just the occasional instances of insane amounts of national pride especially when it comes to sports, and everyone not falling in line is shunned. This is why I'm glad most of my friends are into real sports like basketball or football.

I actually just don't get i. Just in general with supporting your national team. They just happen to be born in the country you live in, and possibly train there too. Other than the geography, you have NO connection with them at all. Why is it considered ****ing treason to just support the team you enjoy watching the most? Doesn't that make so much more sense? I don't hate sports or like, hate people having fun or anything, I support/watch lots of teams from various sports, and it's perfectly ok for people to support teams from their country, even if i don't 100% understand. Whatever, their choice, not gonna hold it against them, but i don't get why everyone gets so mad when I just want to support the team I enjoy watching the most. Just let me support my goddamn team in peace, I don't harrass you for who you support, so why can't you just leave me alone as well? Jesus ****ing christ I hate this country sometimes. Sorry for the long angry rant, I've just never said this shit out loud to anyone before.

Last edited by GoldfishMoon : 01-13-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 AM   #3432
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers

It also has the steepest street in the world.

I've climbed that. It's pretty crazy.

^I would totally live there if there wasn't a complete lack of economic opportunities for anyone that isn't an engineer or farmer

And to be fair, from what I gather the All Blacks are basically a religion over there so I can see why saying you wanted them to lose wouldn't go down so well. Not that that justifies the reaction. I can also relate, I always wanted the England football team to lose because they're all dicks. That wasn't a popular opinion

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 AM   #3433
GoldfishMoon
UG's almost-doctor

Quote:
I've climbed that. It's pretty crazy.

^I would totally live there if there wasn't a complete lack of economic opportunities for anyone that isn't an engineer or farmer

And to be fair, from what I gather the All Blacks are basically a religion over there so I can see why saying you wanted them to lose wouldn't go down so well. Not that that justifies the reaction. I can also relate, I always wanted the England football team to lose because they're all dicks. That wasn't a popular opinion

Yeah work opportunities here are lacking apart from a few specific fields, it's not fantastic.

Yeah, I learnt to keep my mouth shut about sports that day. During major sports events I smile and nod along, and then quietly support whatever team I feel like. That America's Cup victory was so sweet, doubly so because of how sour everyone was after it.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #3434
chaoticfables
all she needed was some

I'm pretty open about my disdain for the All Blacks. The average rugby fan's logic on calling football 'gay' doesn't make sense because if rugby itself involves putting heads up people's butts and hugging players so hard that they fall to the ground. I dunno. I can appreciate the sport but I often feel that we're the best at this because we're only people who give a **** about it

Still love this place. Heading back down to Wellington next week yo

Quote:

holy shit, I'm doing a law degree and I might even end up over there once I graduate... if things go well

soundcloud
a stupid scrapbook for my music

Last edited by chaoticfables : 01-15-2015 at 11:35 PM.
chaoticfables is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: