Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
ESpacing

bass maintenance

Hello!
I`m knew to this forum and as I use ultimateguitar as an information site, I decided to ask here for advice.
My two questions are:
1)My bass guitar neck is a little crooked and I was wondering whether this is normal. (Its barely visible and I dont know if I`m just being paranoid - it might be not, as according to the description the distance between the strings and the fretboard is within norms)
2)I was reading on the interned that any truss rod adjustments will damage the guitar even thought it may improve your playing. (it is better to leave it as it is)

Thank you in advance for sharing your opinion on this matter.
ESpacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
chatterbox272

1)by crooked do you mean the neck is slightly bent, as might happen from the strings pulling on it? if so that's perfectly normal.
2)pshh that's the biggest load of bull I've heard in a while, and I frequent GG&A.
Truss rod adjustments should be done carefully, quarter turns and wait overnight for the neck to adjust. If you're unsure, take it to a tech and get it done properly. If it was only going to cause damage manufacturers wouldn't make it easily accessible.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
ESpacing

1) yes, that was exactly what I meant... I`m not so sure whether it`s slightly bent from the strings pulling on it, or from something else, but the guitar is pretty expensive and I bought it in perfect shape, so I don`t know what the other reason for this might be.. or there needn`t be any, as you said that this is perfectly normal..
2)Hah, I thought that if two or three adjustments are made it will make the wood and the truss rod something like more fragile..
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Tostitos
Got Mead?

The truss rod is made to be used. It's there to allow you to adjust the neck. If your neck is bowed upwards, tightening the truss rod will help flatten it out. Conversely, if your neck is too flat or back-bowed, loosening the truss rod will help with that. Most basses should be set up with just a little bit of bow in the neck, not many people/basses can make the dead-flat set up work.

Don't be afraid of your truss rod, and don't listen to anyone who says touching it will break your instrument. Nothing bad or irreparable is going to happen as long as you're not cranking on it like a jack-in-the-box handle.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
anarkee
oh the horror!

I used to have to adjust my Ibby's neck pretty much every winter when the colder wet weather seemed to throw it out of whack. If you are nervous about adjusting it, talk to a guitar tech who can show you how to do it on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
ESpacing

Thank you all for the suggestions and for sharing your opinion!

Rate This Thread: