Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
souls11

Post Brick walls/and frustration. haelp?

Im writing this because I am almost at wits end, and getting stressed. When I started playing guitar a few years ago, I had no idea what I was doing. But I would play random things until I could work together a riff, it was fun. Whenever I would get stressed I could play guitar for relief too. These days though whenever I play I just get pissed off. I go to practice a song, its going fine...then BOOM crazy solo; okay give up on that song. Or when im just improving, trying to write. Its still almost random guessing at notes. Except for when I use the "blues scale" which is just that other scale with an extra note. But I am so sick of hearing the dam blues scale. I try to play it different everytime to make something new out of it, but now im really just tired of hearing it. I dont know how to practice using a metronome. I have a book but it starts off using these hidden languages I see people talking about online with things like "Am" and "I-V-VI", etc. But the book doesn't explain what all this crazy lingo is. Something new I realized, I can play keyboard almost better than guitar! I've only played the keyboard a few times but can ear-play a few short classical pieces almost no problem, but on guitar I cant ear play anything and I think it has to do with having 6 strings opposed to just 1 line of notes.

Eugghhhh I get aggravated at this stuff when it should have the opposite effect. But I dont want to give up on learning. I know hundreds of people that gave up on learning an instrument, I dont wanna be a quitter; ive done that enough in my life. I just need really good advice or something.
souls11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Rick_Kala

NO man...I am at the same point. Don't quit. Here's a good idea for you that helped me. Listen to some guitar music that you haven't really listened too before like Jazz or classical. Listen for a few weeks straight. That will help for the song writing side. As for the learning new songs etc, try using the AMAZING SLOW DOWNER whichs slows up the tracks, or purchase guitar pro. This will help but honestly, some of the shit you may be trying to learn is too hard for you at this point. I say this because I like to play songs I really cant play yet too. Learn shit that's on your level so that you can have success...this is why some of the tabs list the level like beginner, intermediate etc...

Last edited by Rick_Kala : 10-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Rick_Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
kingking22

If you learn those difficult solos instead of giving up then you'll be making some moves.
kingking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

There's a lot going on here so I'm going to try and break this apart in to manageable pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souls11
I would play random things until I could work together a riff, it was fun. Whenever I would get stressed I could play guitar for relief too.

Stop making it not fun, go back and learn songs that are really easy. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from pushing yourself all the time and just going and playing something you can learn in 10 minutes.

Quote:
These days though whenever I play I just get pissed off. I go to practice a song, its going fine...then BOOM crazy solo; okay give up on that song.

By the same token... stop giving up just because something's hard. Of course it's hard, it's worth doing and almost nothing worth doing is easy! No one else can do this for you though, you've just got to suck it up and keep going.

Quote:
Or when im just improving, trying to write. Its still almost random guessing at notes. Except for when I use the "blues scale" which is just that other scale with an extra note. But I am so sick of hearing the dam blues scale. I try to play it different everytime to make something new out of it, but now im really just tired of hearing it.

Firstly: stop just messing around. Have some direction. The easiest way to do that is actually to just put the guitar down and step away from it.

Now, you have a computer which is less than about 5 years old I assume so you almost certainly have a webcam or very basic mic somewhere so the best thing to do is step away from the guitar, download Audacity, think of a piece of music in your head and record yourself singing it. It doesn't matter if you can't sing very well, you just need a record of an idea that had nothing to do with the guitar. From there you can transcribe it on to the guitar.

The idea here is to get you away from the things you're physically limited to; playing guitar is awesome but we all too often get really stuck in ideas that we've spent so much time practicing so by stepping away from the guitar and leaving it behind you remove all that muscle-memory based knowledge and just make sounds that you want to hear.

Quote:
I dont know how to practice using a metronome.

You don't really need to practice with a metronome to improve your playing in terms of note choice or technique. What a metronome does is give you a reference point for timing and somehow along the way that's become the holy grail for guitar practice.

If you need to work on timing, then use a metronome but if you're working on improvising or writing you don't really need one until it comes time to record.

That said... watch this:

Quote:
I have a book but it starts off using these hidden languages I see people talking about online with things like "Am" and "I-V-VI", etc. But the book doesn't explain what all this crazy lingo is.

You need to learn theory. Freepower has a series of videos on theory that, from what I remember, start from the absolute basics: http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bitesize+theory

You really do need to know the most basic things before you can go on to anything more advanced because without that foundation you won't understand anything that comes later.

Once you feel like you know that stuff pretty well then you can move on to these:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/sear...lue=the+crusade

Again, I cannot stress enough that you need to understand everything from one section before moving on to the next. You must have that foundation if you're going to be able to move on and use what you've learned in the next part.

Quote:
Eugghhhh I get aggravated at this stuff when it should have the opposite effect. But I dont want to give up on learning. I know hundreds of people that gave up on learning an instrument, I dont wanna be a quitter; ive done that enough in my life. I just need really good advice or something.

For everything that I've just said there remains one fundamental truth: no amount of exercises or knowledge will get you past the massive amount of work it takes to become proficient in what we do. It is a long road, beset with challenges, and it never ends... but that's half the fun.

SCRUBS MOMENT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 10-17-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
innovine

Take a week or two away from the guitar if you're not having fun. Guitar will take a lifetime to master, there's no hurry.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Listen to Bob Kelso. He still has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap, but he is wise.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
souls11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingking22
If you learn those difficult solos instead of giving up then you'll be making some moves.

The solo is My Last Words by Megadeth. Maybe im trying to make too far of a jump?

Big thanks to Zaphod_Beeblebr, Rick_Kala, and the rest of you, I honestly thought I was just gonna get shit on by UG trolls because after posting this topic I did notice how whiney it sound.

I am going to follow the advice you guys so graciously spared unto me. Especially Zaphod_Beeblebr's post, I really do need to work on the notes and the rhythm because thats what all music is right? I thought i could just bang around on it till I find something that works, which has helped me write a couple of nice things. Ive got like 20+ sections/riffs just from messing around, and some of them are real good. But I would rather play without the blindness, tough to make it out of a maze when you cant see where you're going I guess.

I probably get so frustrated because I want to progress faster, but im sure alot of other people are in the same boat as me. I'll be practicing everything you guys mentioned, thanks for the help.
souls11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Megadeth's generally pretty difficult so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

When I get stuck on a piece that is too difficult (read pretty much everything) I move to another song. When I come back, I can make a bit more progress, and it keeps it fun and interesting. The was the first pre-chorus part of Civil War (Slash's part) I couldn't get or even remember. It was my white whale. Now I can play it, not at full speed, but at a speed that makes it sound decent. All by not working at it, developing other skills, going back to it, hitting a wall, not playing it, going back to it.....tada!
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ agreed. I do that all the time. obviously if you're always skipping stuff and not actually learning anything new then that's not so great, but don't be afraid to give something a bit of a go, and if it's too hard, try something else and come back to it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Rick_Kala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
Megadeth's generally pretty difficult so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Yeah..agreed Megadeth has some difficult stuff...Except maybe stuff from Youthanasia or Cryptic Writings.
Rick_Kala is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: