Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
sss.senthil

Right Amp for telecaster for a beginner

Hi pals,
I just bought an fender telecaster used one. I am a beginner. I am looking for suggestions on what amp(my budget is 100 bucks) should I get to start off. I am interested in blues. also suggest me an cable and I am also looking for an good headset that i can connect to my amp( do not want to disturb my neighbors at night)
sss.senthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Fender Mustang is a good first amp. Pretty sure it has a headphone jack. I'd suggest a cable with 1/4" jacks on both ends.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

With a $100 budget, the Mustang is a good suggestion.

Later, when you save a bit more, we can suggest some more serious Blues amps, but the Mustang will get you started.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

I'd probably go with the Fender Champion 20 or the Fender Mustang, as others have said. For cables, unless you want to shell out some serious cash (US$65.00 and up), you'll do just fine with a cable from Monster, DiMarzio, Mogami or Planet Waves. A lot of people like the Planet Waves cables as offering the best "bang for the buck." Headphones? Well; since you are not going after spectacular tone, you need not by a high-dollar set of studio headphones. Get a set that is comfortable to wear, and that can handle whatever the power output is from the "Headphones Out" jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Also look at a Vox VT as an alternative to the Mustang, both are good though.

For headphones, try Sennheiser HD201. The best set you'll buy on a low budget.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
For headphones, try Sennheiser HD201. The best set you'll buy on a low budget.

+1, hard to beat the budget Sennheisers for the price!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Gibson_LesPaul_

I actually suggest a Roland Cube for blues because of their cleans. As for headphones I recommend Marshall Major or Major FX. Go for Mogami cables (lifetime warranty and the best quality cables in my opinion) and D'Addario strings. Mogami andMonater are better than DiMarzo and Planet Waves. DiMarzio are better than Planet Waves but do not offer the lifetime warranty unless you buy jumper cables (they only go to 91 cm or just uner one metre.) Mogami are better quality and have better tone than Monster, DiMarzp may be good though due to their bright sound.

Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ : 10-13-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Gibson_LesPaul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Cleans for blues. Pfft, get out of my face. It's Beano or gtfo. Cleans? I fart in your general direction. Your mother is a hamster etc etc

The Mustang is a pretty good suggestion for a first amp in your situation.

Audio Technica headphones are pretty good for the money too.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Gibson_LesPaul_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Cleans for blues. Pfft, get out of my face. It's Beano or gtfo. Cleans? I fart in your general direction. Your mother is a hamster etc etc

The Mustang is a pretty good suggestion for a first amp in your situation.

Audio Technica headphones are pretty good for the money too.

I hate cleans, but honestly for a true blues tone you need a good clean base tone, from there you can add fuzz pedals etc. and Roland Cubes can do more than cleans. They have got a lot of amp models. For true true blues a Vox AC15 or AC30VR is the way to go, except over the OP's budget. Have ever heard Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton play? What most blues players do is play in the clean channel then use pedals to make it slightly overdriven, Carlos Santana does this as well.

Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ : 10-13-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I did say Beano. That was Clapton through a JTM45 combo turned up to 11. I guess that's a clean channel of sorts. Hendrix was doing basically the same thing too. They didn't have a clean channel. What are you talking about? The best blues is from an old tube amp cranked into destruction
And Carlos uses a Mesa Mark 1 and he isn't frugal with the gain knob.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
Gibson_LesPaul_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I did say Beano. That was Clapton through a JTM45 combo turned up to 11. I guess that's a clean channel of sorts. Hendrix was doing basically the same thing too. They didn't have a clean channel. What are you talking about? The best blues is from an old tube amp cranked into destruction
And Carlos uses a Mesa Mark 1 and he isn't frugal with the gain knob.

They may not have a clean channel, but the tone is clean. And you are right, Carlos Santana uses mainly Mesa/Boogie amps. And I never said Clapton or Hendrix used the clean channel, I said most blues players. If that statement was directed towards anybody it was directed towards Carlos Santana.

Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ : 10-13-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_LesPaul_
I hate cleans, but honestly for a true blues tone you need a good clean base tone, from there you can add fuzz pedals etc. and Roland Cubes can do more than cleans. They have got a lot of amp models. For true true blues a Vox AC15 or AC30VR is the way to go, except over the OP's budget. Have ever heard Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton play? What most blues players do is play in the clean channel then use pedals to make it slightly overdriven, Carlos Santana does this as well.

Hendrix just cranked up his amp. It had one channel that was clean if the volume was turned down and distorted if the volume was cranked. And Hendrix usually turned his amp up to 11. He did sometimes use fuzz, yeah, but his tone without fuzz was also distorted - or should I say dirty - (again, because he cranked the volume). Blues isn't about clean clean channels, you need some dirt.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: