Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
hey_joe42

Metal Muff Problem

Hey so my metal muff only works when plugged into a series of other effects pedals. I try plugging my guitar directly into it and into the amp and it doesn't work.. I hook it up with a boss pedal infront of it and it turns on. What gives? Why do these things not work when hooked up directly to a guitar. Yes it is powered both times.
hey_joe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
lbj273
UG God

first problem is you bought a metal muff
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Are you using an adapter or battery?

If it's an adapter, it could be that the mA power (a one spot power adapter uses 1700mA) could be too much for the one pedal to handle. It may be possible.

That's all the advice I can give, and hope it's worth something.

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA (D-Standard)
Jackson RR-3 - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Jackson JS32R - Black - EMG 81/85 (Drop-C)
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
hey_joe42

yeah thats what I'm using. I was wondering that. Seems lame to me. I'm using the boss power supply thing for it, so it says 9.6 volts output where as this thing says 9volts. There doesn't seem to be a place to put a battery in the metal muff. I'm just trying to sell the thing as I don't use it anymore. I guess you have to buy a special metal muff cord to power it usually?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273

second problem is you kept the metal muff
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Yeah, sounds like it's the adapter.
Searched the metal muff and noticed that it needs a 9.6 volt adapter.

^ @ 2 posts: What does it matter if someone uses a pedal a lot of other's don't like? Guitar is a hobby to everybody here in UG, it's not like he's playing it for you guys.
Take it easy, relax, and let guitar players be guitar players. And that's playing what they want, not what other's want.
I mean I've been using my Digitech metal master since I sold my 6505+ to fund a car, and I don't mind the tone or other's opinions.
Too many useless comments on this site, that's a shame.

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA (D-Standard)
Jackson RR-3 - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Jackson JS32R - Black - EMG 81/85 (Drop-C)

Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 : 01-17-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273

i think its at +3 now, but you have been here since '09, you should know to ask advice prior to buying.

and metal muffs are flat out terrible. IMO.

i don't understand how 9V isn't enough. sometimes new batteries test below 9V and they have worked for me in tuners or OD or delay pedals. i only use batteries if i am playing with just a tuner and OD or a really simple board, and don't want the hassle of plugging into power, which is likely shitty due to neon signs and decor.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
lbj273
UG God

is it by chance the Micro Metal Muff? If so its a fairly common issue, hence my first comment

Quote:
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i just used my DVOM to measure voltage of six different 9V batteries, three of which were totally new, and the other six may have been used for a little while.

i saw 7.8V as a low on a brand new one (that is the battery that came with my green screamer) i saw a 9.7V on a used one and i don't know. maybe that little bit does matter.

however i pulled the 7.8V battery into both my od and delay and they functioned fine.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
lbj273
UG God

Its an issue with the power jack, nothing to do with batteries...

Quote:

Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
hey_joe42

So has anyone ever seen a metal muff? I don't think they even take batteries, as there is no spot to put batteries in it that I can see unless you have to unscrew the whole case off. Its a metal muff with top boost. I bought it because I couldn't fine a metal zone and thought it might sound better. I got the idea to get one because people suggested it on these forums. and now that I have a metal zone I don't need my metal muff. (preparing for people to mock my metal zone too... wanna mock my jsx as well? anyone? I was feeling really good about myself for a second before i came here?)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
lbj273
UG God

Metal zone is shit too. Also you do have to take off the whole back plate to access the battery

Quote:

Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Rokeman
"And I would, could you?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_joe42
So has anyone ever seen a metal muff? I don't think they even take batteries, as there is no spot to put batteries in it that I can see unless you have to unscrew the whole case off. Its a metal muff with top boost. I bought it because I couldn't fine a metal zone and thought it might sound better. I got the idea to get one because people suggested it on these forums. and now that I have a metal zone I don't need my metal muff. (preparing for people to mock my metal zone too... wanna mock my jsx as well? anyone? I was feeling really good about myself for a second before i came here?)

From memory, you take the whole back panel off with a screwdriver and there's a space amongst the circuitry for the battery.

Also, metal distortion pedals tend to get a lot of unwarranted hate on this site. Yes, they don't sound like a real great amp distortion or expensive setup, but if you're able to bust out a jam on it then it's good in my opinion.

Rokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
hey_joe42

The metal zone had a shitty sound back when I was using it on a randall solid state, but now with the jsx it has a sound that I just love and can't get from the JSX without it. I can't believe I ever sold my metal zone back in the day but glad to have one again.
I find the distortion to be more tamer than a tube, I guess mixing the qualities of a solid state with a tube amp makes a really nice sound in my opinion. It bites into the notes better and cuts out at just the right moment to give it a nice punch.

Alright I will try a battery in my muff thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
bigblockelectra

MT2 can sound good on a big tube amp. On my smaller amps, it leaves much to be desired.

Some pedals are picky on the input power. I have a chorus pedal that will tweak out when I use a VS one spot, whereas other pedals that I have will be just fine. The VS one spot is not exactly high quality, but it works for most things. Maybe your metal muff pedal is the same way.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: