Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Gilbert06

Martin ooo-16GT (And it's Micarta Fingerboard)

I'm saving for a Martin and have pretty much narrowed it down to the ooo-16GT

The main negative i am seeing people come up with about this model is the Micarta fingerboard. Can anyone who has played it provide some info on the difference between other fingerboard materials and this Micarta stuff?

The rest of the guitar (With it being a Martin, having a Spruce top and solid mahogany back and side ticks all the other boxes I'm looking for) Just the Micarta I'm concerned about....

It will be very useful for me in the meantime while i wait to try one of these out myself.

Cheers.

P.S Any other thoughts on the guitar from those who own it/have played it would also be very much appreciated (Particularly how it compares to the ooo-15m)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
NewDayHappy
UG Senior Member

Well, friend.

I own a Martin D16GT and I absolutely love it.

I've only owned mine for a month or so, but it's a beautiful guitar.

It also came with a lifetime warranty from where I bought it from, when I bought this guitar, I said you know what? I've been playing guitar for 3 years now and I feel like I have enough passion for playing music and I've gotten past all the beginner stuff, time to upgrade my guitar to match my guitar skills level. When you buy a Martin D16GT, you are pretty much saying, Ok, I never want to upgrade my guitar ever again. You could literally own this guitar for the next 30-50 years. I never intend on selling mine, I won't let mine go until I die.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

with Ebony becoming so hard to get( only 1 tree in 10 cut down has enough all-black for good looking fretboards- kudos to Bob Taylor for attempting to change that by using the other 9), most companies are turning to synthetic woods to keep costs down. micarta and richlite fretboards are going to be the future sadly. there's nothing wrong with them, you don't really notice a difference other than any oils from your fingers wont sink in, you'll have to clean it off.
here's a good story about why your guitar will have Micarta....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCG...ayer_detailpage
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
NewDayHappy
UG Senior Member

Wow, very interesting. I've gained a lot of respect for Taylor after watching that.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
Gilbert06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy

When you buy a Martin D16GT, you are pretty much saying, Ok, I never want to upgrade my guitar ever again. You could literally own this guitar for the next 30-50 years. I never intend on selling mine, I won't let mine go until I die.

This is why i decided to save for a Martin. I was looking at guitars for 500, 600 and thought if i am going to spend that i may as well save and get a guitar that will be a staple of the collection for years to come.

What do you make of the Micarta fingerboard on your D16?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
NewDayHappy
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert06
This is why i decided to save for a Martin. I was looking at guitars for 500, 600 and thought if i am going to spend that i may as well save and get a guitar that will be a staple of the collection for years to come.

What do you make of the Micarta fingerboard on your D16?

****ing love it man.

Martin is awesome, good decision.

You're probably doing the right thing, I owned a Fender CD60 which is a $250.00 guitar before I bought my D16 and I essentially wasted $250 because I don't use it anymore. I actually gave it away to a real good friend of mine for free.

I was scared to play my D16 when I first bought it, it's just so beautiful, I have a heavy hand when I strum and I was scared to scratch it, but now after I've broken it in the tone just seems to keep getting better the more I play it. It's just amazing, looking at the wood working, the gloss top and mahogany back, sometimes I just look at it and I'm amazed. I pet my guitar and give it hugs sometimes, I know I'm strange.

Saving up and buying a nice Martin and you're probably doing the right thing, you should have a very special guitar that you will never ever want to get rid of.

Last edited by NewDayHappy : 03-10-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

I've had my D16RGT for about... 6 years now. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the micarta fretboard. Still sounds great and I've had no issues with the guitar. Just make sure you keep it humidified properly and everything should be peachy.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
sniderfan

Just bought my 000-16gt on 2/20... nearly a month now and cant put it down... get it!!!
sniderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
sniderfan

Just bought my 000-16gt on 2/20... took a bit to get used to the depth... has a slimmer body than OM... nearly a month now and cant put it down... get it!!!
sniderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #10
Captaincranky

I pulled this off a web page:
Quote:
In 1973 due to expectation of Asian copies, Ovation decided to stave off this threat by manufacturing its own inexpensive copies. Launching a full-out research effort Ovation came up with new bowl materials, a new way to make tops, and a new neck construction based on more technology used on the helicopter side. One of the first off the production line was The Matrix.

While not a great guitar, it was very playable. The necks consisted of an aluminum frame covered with a polyurethane foam material. Initially they looked like more expensive Ovations, though in 1976 the design was changed to make them look different.....[ ]....

As I have said, the neck was constructed from cast aluminum. The truss rod, peg head, fretboard and frets were die cast in a single unit, producing a neck immune to warpage by the effects of string tension or climatic change. High density polyurethane was built around this neck structure to give the feel and look of a traditional mahogany neck, and the resulting design provided excellent sustain, playability and good looks at a very low price.

And you guys are worried about Micarta? I think at least you'd be able to re-fret that!

I had an Ovation "Matrix" 12 string. But, it had a rosewood finger board. I think it was a later offering than the originals in that article. (But it still had a polyurethane neck).

The rest of the page for any interested aficionados: http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/20...minum-neck.html

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-13-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: