Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #21
timetraveller02
Banned

Here's my fave:
Code:
--------------------------------5-7-- --------------------------5-7-------- --------------------5-7-------------- --------------5-7-------------------- --------5-7-------------------------- --5-7--------------------------------

Do this also using slides.

Here's another to really stretch:
Code:
--------1--3------------ -1--3------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

over and over again for 1 min
Old 10-01-2003, 08:50 AM   #22
MonkeyAteMySoul
Domo Kun

this is my little five note run exercise, I have it on the A natural minor but you can move it onto different scales and stuff to make it harder

ok, I just realized the exercize is too big for tab so Ill have to explain it, you start at the tweath fret on the low E play up five notes of the scale and play down four then from were you are play up five and down four, then from were you are up five and down four, to give you an Idea of it, the first two runns would look like this

Code:
---------12-14-12----------12-14-15-14-12 12-13-15--------15-13-13-15---------------15

this sounds really shreddy and if you break the runs up they sound really good thrown into a solo

heres another run, this ones chromatic and kinda slayerish sounding

Code:
14-15-14-13-14-13-12-13-12---12 --------------------------15-----15

and keep moving that down two strings, starting from the high E and band if you feel the need you can move down a fret and play it all backwards, if you keep moving down its a real test of stamina

oh yeah, I I like to practice the main riff from master of puppets by mettallica which goes like this

A----2----3-----4-----3-----2
E0-1--0-1--0-1--0-1--0-1

the main riff to the anti-christ by slayer

d---4-2-------4-2-------2---------4-2-------4-2-------4-----
a-------4-3-------4-3---0-------------4-3-------4-3---2-----
e-2----------2---------0---------2----------2---------0--------

and the rythm to disposable heroes by metallica which you really have to lissten to to get down properly
Old 10-03-2003, 02:48 PM   #23
timetraveller02
Banned

Basically, if you can do some fingering, no particular notes at the bottom

Code:
------3----------------- ---------2-------1----- ---1----------2-------- -2---------4-----------

you learn it there, then slide it up and you'll be able to do it. Less stretching - easy
Old 10-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #24
Slurgi
Lazy Perfectionist

Oh wow, this is a great thread :O

Bravo, Bravo...
Old 10-07-2003, 10:06 PM   #25
BrandNewHero
UG Newbie

Does anyone know some speed building exercises?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:35 AM   #26
dasfonzie
Lunch Box

one i've been doing lately to build my pinky strength is

Code:
--------------------------------5-7- --------------------------5-7-------- --------------------5-7-------------- --------------5-7-------------------- --------5-7-------------------------- --5-7--------------------------------

but with just the middle and pinky finger, very exhausting, but i've noticed an improvement and i've only been doing it for about a week.

for instance my guitar teacher showed a little pull off riff using the g minor pentatonic (with a few grace notes)

Code:
--6p5p3--------------3----------------- --------6p5p3------3--------------------- ----------------5(^7)---------------------- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------

or something like that, but i can do it alot faster now though

also when i do the exercise, i start on the 1/3 frets and going down the strings then back up, then moving up one freat all the way down the neck, then doing it backwards on the way back down the neck. i think it's important to go backwards to develop fluidity.

Last edited by dasfonzie : 10-12-2003 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:07 PM   #27
chunkychewie

Here's a chord I saw the guy from dream theater talk about. It really helps your hand stretch out.

e---17
B---15
G---12
D---14
A---12
E--- x

Once you get that try it in the 11th position, then the 10th position and so on.

Last edited by chunkychewie : 10-13-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #28
methodlessman
UG Member

I usually do this lick from the solo from Fade To Black:
Code:
----------7----------------------------------- -------------10-7---------------------------- ----9--^------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

I also do some basic chromatic stuff that is already posted and doodle around with some stuff I already know.

Then I go onto whatever I am praticing that day.

{insert funny sig}
Old 10-13-2003, 03:47 PM   #29
dasfonzie
Lunch Box

Quote:
Originally posted by chunkychewie
Here's a chord I saw the guy from dream theater talk about. It really helps your hand stretch out.

e---17
B---12
G---15
D---14
A---12
E--- x

Once you get that try it in the 11th position, then the 10th position and so on.

wow thats just a horrible sounding chord
Old 10-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #30
chunkychewie

Quote:
Originally posted by dasfonzie
wow thats just a horrible sounding chord

Oops, I ****ed up.

edit: It's fixed now.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #31
Preszombie

I usually do some pretty basic warmups. I use the songs that I play for the practice and speed building.

I mainly just do stuff like this:

Code:
e|-1-2-3-4---------------- B|-1-2-3-4---------------- G|-1-2-3-4---------------- D|-1-2-3-4---------------- A|-1-2-3-4---------------- E|-1-2-3-4----------------

Then I might do that over again, but then I will make my way up the neck until I reach the 12th fret then I will go back down the neck backwards. Works really well in my opinion.

I also do some stuff to help me with Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs like this one:

Code:
e|-------------------------------------------------------5----5h7---- B|--------------------------------------------5----5h7--------------- D|---------------------------------5----5h7-------------------------- G|----------------------5----5h7------------------------------------- A|-----------5----5h7------------------------------------------------ E|------5h7----------------------------------------------------------

I'll play that using Hammer-Ons then I will go backwards, but instead of using Hammer-Ons I will use Pull-Offs. Kinda confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it you can begin to do it very quickly.

Just a couple I use.

ESP LTD EC-500
Schecter S+
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A 4X12
Kustom 4X12
Shure Wireless
Digitech RP-500 Effects Processor

Check out my bands

http://www.myspace.com/swampwitchnc
http://www.myspace.com/acquaintedwiththenight1

Rate This Thread: