Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Ndd

Dark basement, sorry for the dark photos!

This is my first drumset. Decided to get into it after 12 years of Guitar and Bass playing. Got tired of programming all the drums for my recordings, and definitely always wanted to play anyway.

Trixon was a name I hadn't heard of before till I walked into a local shop of mine. I saw this kit, got it and the Sabian SBR set or an even $600. I've got 2 other toms that come with it (it's actually a 7 piece) that I haven't got a clue how I'm going to fit in there or quite make use of yet. I'm sure they'll wiggle their way in within the next couple months as I learn to hold a beat properly.

I actually was going to ask if anyone knew anything about this brand? Googling tells me that it was an old German company back in the day, made some odd designs but overall pretty good stuff. After a while it went under, and then it was revitalized by an old business partner who made it more of a beginnner-midrange brand.

I'm pretty sure they're chinese made. I'm not experienced enough with drums yet to know how valuable they really are.

This is a link to the exact set and it's specs on the website: http://www.trixondrumsusa.com/drums...e-gig-kit-black

It says the drums are made from Eastern Yellow Birch. Any good?

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-28-2013 at 12:33 AM.
JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Second Rate

A 7 piece kit for 600 seems like a pretty good deal to me. If they sound good, then congratulations on the find.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Trixon. Doesn't ring any bells with me. I think from the sounds of things, it's one of these vintage brands that has been bought by a new investor who's gone and started making budget kits in China or wherehaveyou. It seems like a reasonable deal if you got the kit and cymbals for $600. It sounds like a sensible idea to start off with just the 5 drums. Playing around with your setup is part of being a drummer. There are various ways of setting it up, such as having 2 toms on the floor and putting the smallest tom where the 13" one is at the moment. I wouldn't exactly get hung up on the type of wood used to build the drums; the hardware and build quality will without doubt be the weakest link to the sound of these drums anyway. That's pretty much par for the course with budget drums like these. Don't let that put you off though; it looks like a good beginner kit. Any questions about where to begin, don't hesitate to ask the forum!

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Second Rate

I knew this company's name looked familiar. Decades ago, they used to make ugly, conical shaped fiberglass drums (sort of along the lines of North Drums if you've ever seen them). I think Billy Cobham used to use some of their tom toms back when he was playing the big double bass Milestone kit. Just a little bit of useless information for you.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Rate
I knew this company's name looked familiar. Decades ago, they used to make ugly, conical shaped fiberglass drums (sort of along the lines of North Drums if you've ever seen them). I think Billy Cobham used to use some of their tom toms back when he was playing the big double bass Milestone kit. Just a little bit of useless information for you.

Yeah, i've seen them before. Like that one in that Pixies video?

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
whoomit

I remember when my cymbals were shiny
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
I remember when my cymbals were shiny

Back in the day!

Rate This Thread: