Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Radio: The 9th of June - FFO Portrait, Noble Beast, etc.

Not one of my themed radios with those hipster interludes and all that bullshit. Just pure, unabridged METAL

Turn your speakers up for that last track, it's raww

http://8tracks.com/kytokinesis/the-9th-of-june

Upcoming Schedule
16/6/2014 - AnnihiSSlater
23/6/2014 - KytokENesis
30/6/2014 - Emenius Sleepus
7/7/2014 - kirkisking
14/7/2014 - Fukk

Last edited by Kytokinesis : 06-15-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Metal_Head1
MÍTÍR

Oh, "Mystic" Time.
Not "Whiskey" Time, huh?

EDIT

Oh man, Iced Earth's s/t. It's been a long time.
This is actually the only Iced Earth album I really like

Last edited by Metal_Head1 : 06-09-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Metal_Head1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

That was a fun mix, mate. Not sure if I'd go back to any of those artists in my own time, but definitely an enjoyable listen.

While I'm here, chuck me on the end of the list - had a couple of ideas for mixes lately and some more free time
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

^ Will do, thanks for smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Head1
Oh, "Mystic" Time.
Not "Whiskey" Time, huh?

I thought he was saying that the first time I heard it
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Agent Steel - It was alright for what it was, but I've never really gotten into priest. I think Agent Steels own material, or what I've heard of it, was better.

Angel Dust - Lighters in the air time. I've not actually heard of these before, but this seems a solid enough. Somewhere between the 80's hard rock ballad, and the power metal ballad. Oh wait, there's more. Ploddy melodic power metal. I'm less keen on this sort of sound really. Though it does pick up with the tempo change, and actually ends up being really solid around the instrumental middle section.

Acerus - Misread as Arceus and thought it was pokemon related haha. This is the Chasm side project isn't it? The riffing style is pretty defined and recognisable. I might look into this one more.

Noble Beast - This is really solid sounding stuff, especially for something coming out in 2014. Some belting guitaring going on.

I'm heading out now, I look forwards to finishing this later though.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Heavens Gate - The name interests me, as the film of the same name is an absolute masterpiece. And actually this is definitely doing it for me too. Is this EP the best place to start or is the album the year before a better starting place?

Tyrant - Kind of starts well, but then the idea goes on a little too long, but it really picks up at the solo.

Iced Earth - Never really took to their early stuff, for me Iced Earth started being interesting at Burnt Offerings. It's ok, but I feel like it's missing something.

Portrait - This actually better than I imagined they'd sound. The production is surprisingly appropriate for a modern metal band. Really enjoying this one. Kind of reminds me of Tony Martin era Sabbath a little bit, but I can't put my finger on why.

Ross - So after a bit of research after being curious about the track and album titles, this is an early incarnation or side project of Scald isn't it? It's not bad, but it's that bit too raw to fully apreciate.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
Agent Steel - It was alright for what it was, but I've never really gotten into priest. I think Agent Steels own material, or what I've heard of it, was better.

Yea but I really love how Cyriis says "the ripper" on that song. It just sounds really cool the way he annunciates it.

Quote:
Heavens Gate - The name interests me, as the film of the same name is an absolute masterpiece. And actually this is definitely doing it for me too. Is this EP the best place to start or is the album the year before a better starting place?

In Control, this EP, and Livin' in Hysteria are the only albums from them I would personally recommend. If you like Touch the Light(and the EP in general), then give Livin' In Hysteria a spin. That's the closest you'll get. Then after that give In Control a listen. It's more on the heavy metal side. A good album and probably more complex musically, but it doesn't have anything quite as energetic as songs like Touch the Light and Gate of Heaven.

Quote:
Ross - So after a bit of research after being curious about the track and album titles, this is an early incarnation or side project of Scald isn't it? It's not bad, but it's that bit too raw to fully apreciate.

Ross was a pre-Scald heavy metal band consisting of future members of Scald. The Ross tracks came with the new re-print of Will of the Gods is Great Power (Agyl's Saga). It is SUPER raw, but the last minute or so of that song is the most epic thing ever.

Last edited by Kytokinesis : 06-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

^yeah I'm really glad they included that Ross stuff on that compilation, - and cheers for including it in the mix, Kyto - was a great surprise! Reminds me a lot more of typical hard rock/heavy metal hybrids that started their careers in the early and mid 80's, back when Russia was still USSR. It was difficult to do anything, because those gigs were looked down upon, and some bands like Korrozia Metalla had the kgb storm some of their shows, hah.

Either way though, some of the songs of the Ross material are actually pretty cool, if played in an amateur manner and with horrendous production. You can certainly appreciate the leap they did with Scald a lot more after hearing it .

---

With Iced Earth - they seem to be one of those bands that I always hear a song or two from, and really get into it, but never follow it up. The guy has a way of writing some good riffs though, - a good modern take on a classic sound
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #9
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Iced Earth's s/t and Stormrider are my preferences. Burnt Offerings is next, followed by Something Wicked This Way Comes, and then my interest stops there. The Gettysburg thing is pretty cool though. And then there are songs here and there that I like to get my disco on with like 10K Strong
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I think I missed Neil's last week, so I'll be listening to both of these. Yours first since I see yours first.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Tracks I liked: Acerus, Tyrant (of course, duh, obviously, oh my god why did you even ask), Iced Earth (but no Barlow is a BAD SIGN), Noble Beast (new to this, kind of. Really solid playing and what a hook), Heavens Gate were pretty cool too.

I hated the Angel Dust track(s). and of course Portrait were great.

Ross were magical. I mean, Agyl's vocals in a heavy metal setting rather than doom were astounding, of course it's rough though. Imagine if we got Ross with the better production over Scald. You can hear some of the melodies present and the interesting riffs played, and it's really a great song.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I thought you guys might enjoy the Ross track. Even through the raw production you can tell the musicianship is astounding. It's actually denoted as a rehearsal track I think, so it's actually more raw than the other super raw tracks. Regardless, it's probably my favorite Ross track.

I do think Barlow's voice is the best fit for Iced Earth's music. It's just too bad he doesn't sing on their first two albums. I can't help that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Tracks I liked:

Seven out of nine ain't bad.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
kirkisking
I'm always drunk

Not gonna lie, that list was pretty metal. Noble Beast was awesome, haven't heard heavy metal like that in forever. Sign me up for after Emenius please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous
kirkisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

^ Thanks for listening! You have now been drafted. Noble Beast's album is definitely one of the best albums of this year. Hope they keep it up in future releases.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Mind throwing me on the end of the list, please?

I'm also glad we're in agreeance about Barlow. When I think of Iced Earth, I think of Barlow and how manly he is. His hair is gone but not forgotten.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #16
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Consider yourself part of the crew, part of the ship.

Rate This Thread: