Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #121
rpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 10 Rillington Place
Who goes around in school admitting to being homosexual anyway? You just know that you will be bullied instantly.
__________________
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #122
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpd
Who goes around in school admitting to being homosexual anyway? You just know that you will be bullied instantly.

That's the thing that we are trying to combat
__________________
I've been selling crack since, like, the fifth grade
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #123
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
I'm not sure who else the passage would be addressing other than Christians and the Church. Unless you mean God is gonna do it himself, but he clearly doesn't. Meaning he's either completely powerless, doesn't exist, or he's addressing people on Earth to do it.

How do you know God doesn't do it? Let's focus on a broad idea of God here for a second. (By which I mean, set aside whether you believe in God or not.) Suppose God is an all-powerful being, who is outside of time, space, etc. and still has the ability to directly affect time, space, etc. (If God really were God, after all, would he not have the ability to do what I just said?) So, let's say that God doesn't like homosexuality and considers it an abomination (much as Lev. 20: 13 states). He has several ways to cause homosexuals to be "punished" then.

1) He can cause them to be put to death by other humans, either by directly moving people via commands (as in the 2nd half of Lev. 20: 13) or by allowing a homosexual to die by murder, etc.
2) He can simply shorten the life span of a homosexual.
3) He can command that nations do not allow homosexuality and bring judgment upon nations that do. (See much of Israel in the Old Testament to get an example of judgment.)


Of course, these are only three ways. But see, you keep thinking of the idea of God as somehow being limited. If we philosophically define God, he is limitless. Therefore, it is definitely possible for God to use the 3 ways I stated or any number of other ways to deal with homosexuality or anything else God decides is an abomination.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not stating "God does X". I'm merely approaching the idea of God in a somewhat philosophical manner.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #124
willT08
Banned
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
1) He can cause them to be put to death by other humans, either by directly moving people via commands (as in the 2nd half of Lev. 20: 13) or by allowing a homosexual to die by murder, etc.
So you're saying that one of the ways he kills off gays is by commanding Christians to do so on his behalf. I'm glad we can agree on that.
Quote:
2) He can simply shorten the life span of a homosexual.
If the most imaginative and vengeful death your God can conceive is a natural one he is entirely without wit or irony.
Quote:
3) He can command that nations do not allow homosexuality and bring judgment upon nations that do. (See much of Israel in the Old Testament to get an example of judgment.)
Well he clearly doesn't do this. Uganda would be a metropolis if this were true.

EDIT:
Quote:
Who goes around in school admitting to being homosexual anyway? You just know that you will be bullied instantly.
Brave young boys and girls.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #125
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
So you're saying that one of the ways he kills off gays is by commanding Christians to do so on his behalf. I'm glad we can agree on that.


Not necessarily. I never said Christians. You're missing the context entirely. Who was God directly speaking to in Lev. 13: 20? (Hint: Not Christians, and certainly not today's Church. [Though, to be fair, Jesus would have supported Lev. 13: 20, though probably not in the manner most think he would. Note that Jesus said that not one jot or title (think of those are letters and squiggles in today's terms) would pass away from the law.])

Quote:
If the most imaginative and vengeful death your God can conceive is a natural one he is entirely without wit or irony.

You're still thinking in limiting terms. Shortening someone's lifespan can mean anything from someone dying at 20 to someone dying a few days before they were projected to live.
Also, if you assume the premise I was presenting above (that of God being an all-powerful being, who is outside of time, space, etc. and still has the ability to directly affect time, space, etc.), would he not be the originator of wit and irony?

Quote:
Well he clearly doesn't do this. Uganda would be a metropolis if this were true.


Not sure if serious...
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 02-16-2013 at 01:44 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.