User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Pettah
StratMan

Anyone good at electronic drum VSTs?

Hello yall!

Im just starting out composing soundtracks la videogame/movie soundtracks and Im on the lookout for electronic drum VSTs. Ive been really inspired by the Bastion soundtrack and here is two videos with examples of drum sounds Im after!

drums starting at 0.14

drums starting at 0.05

If you can recommend any VST plugins for the job that would be amazing!
Pettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

Addictive Drums has an electronic drum trigger expansion that could be pretty cool. There seems to be some effects as well in the recordings (compression/dist?)..
Bastion was great, btw Still have to finish it, though..

EDIT:
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)

Last edited by Darkflame : 12-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
diabolical

EZDrummer probably best to get in and customize depending on genres you're after. You could also get an e-drum, something like the Alesis DM6.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

The good news is those tracks are drum machine/synth style, and not acoustic drums, so it's much easier to do on a budget.

Realistic acoustic drums are a bastard because there's so many levels of dynamics and different hits - you need big libraries of samples that can take up gigabytes! Drum machines and electronic ones are much easier, since they're synthesised and you're not trying to fool anyone!

Check out some of these VSTs:

- Drumatic 3 / VE
- MiniSpillage
- Tromine GT
- The Drumsource

You will also find Soundfonts hugely useful for this kind of production, more so than VST plugins. Cakewalk offer a good free soundfont player if your DAW doesn't have its own.

This is good place to start for percussion/drum soundfonts:

http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/...0&ListLength=15

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
dudebud
Kid A.Lo

Addictive Drums is the best VST for dynamics and out-of-the-box sounds but I also dig blending samples from Steven Slate Drums 4. I use AD with a TD-15 with great results.
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
dudebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebud
Addictive Drums is the best VST for dynamics and out-of-the-box sounds but I also dig blending samples from Steven Slate Drums 4. I use AD with a TD-15 with great results.

I dunno man... A lot of guys around here seem to rave about the Addictive Drums stuff, but having finally spent some quality time with it a few weeks ago, I didn't like it at all. I mean, it has its moments, but SSD is FAR more out-of-the-box ready than AD is, unless you like super splatty kicks, dead sounding toms and unrealistic cymbals. Don't get me wrong, Addictive Drums CAN sound good but it is, by far, the toughest to get sounding realistic of all the drum sample libraries out there IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

As a former user of Addictive Drums nonstop, I'm gonna agree with everything Matrix said. Though I do like the Reel Machines Adpak and am probably going to still use that until I figure out how to use Battery 3.

Which, speaking of Battery 3, perfect for what you're looking for if you don't mind spending some $$$
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

I got to have a play with Addictive and the Retro expansion the other week and it's not a patch on Superior - it sounds so much less realistic. Wonderful interface and great workflow, though.

I've got a pretty high quality electric kit which I use for jamming and recording, and Superior is comfortably the most realistic feeling one I've tried. The hihats feel much more authentic (especially with transmutation) and . I hate the sound of the stock Avatar kit though - I can spot it in a mix a mile off. NI Studio Drummer looks nice but I don't like Kontakt for percussion much and apparently the edrum support is crap.

Analogue Drums' kits sound fantastic too.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: