Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
jacobpoirier

Removing a Floating Bridge?

I have a Fender Stratocaster with a floating bridge. Since I don't use my vibrato bar very often and like to rest my hand on the bridge, I would like to make the bridge flush against the body of the guitar.

How do I go about doing this, and what are the implications of doing it? Will I need to do a complete setup on my guitar after I remove the floating bridge? I'm particularly concerned that a truss rod adjustment might be necessary. Will it be?

Thanks for any help in advance!
jacobpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist

Could try blocking it. A piece of wood or something would do it. Or you could spend a few bucks and grab a tremo-no.. I think its called that.

*This has been a public service announcement*
Kivarenn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobpoirier
I have a Fender Stratocaster with a floating bridge. Since I don't use my vibrato bar very often and like to rest my hand on the bridge, I would like to make the bridge flush against the body of the guitar.

How do I go about doing this, and what are the implications of doing it? Will I need to do a complete setup on my guitar after I remove the floating bridge? I'm particularly concerned that a truss rod adjustment might be necessary. Will it be?

Thanks for any help in advance!

You don't have to adjust the truss rod. Just the action at the bridge saddles.

just tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity down until the bridge is against the body and won't move or or down when a string is bent. You may need to add an extra spring or 2 to get the tension right depending on the string gauge used or if the springs are worn out. it's as simple as that, it takes like 3 minutes to get everything right.

The biggest pain in the ass is raising the action if you need to since the bridge is now lower to the body than when it was floating.

if you never use the bar, just deck the bridge and cut a small piece of wood to stuff between the sustain block and the body, like this

Or you could just get a tremolo-no and have a tech install it for you. That's really the way to go. I'm personal friends with the guy who invented them, and I can assure you they are top-notch. Worth every penny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

Last edited by stonyman65 : 10-27-2012 at 04:29 PM.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
As other said you could block it.

If you want to install a new hardtail bridge, you'll basically have to fill the cavity which could be done by gluing in a same shape piece of wood.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
rickyvanh

If you never use your whammy bar,blocking the bridge is one the best,easiest,and cheapest (usually free) upgrades you can do to a strat.It is just as easy to undo if you decide to.You will have better tuning stability,tone,and sustain.Just make sure that you use a piece of hardwood for the block.If you can match the type the body is made of that is ideal.Otherwise get a piece of maple 1x2 from a hardware store.NO GLUE.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: