Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #1401
MaddMann274
Ridding sanity

Just got into Porcupine Tree. I was wondering if there were more songs like 'Blackest Eyes'. With a heavy distorted riff.

Twitter
Reverbnation
MaddMann274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #1402
Xplozive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMann274
Just got into Porcupine Tree. I was wondering if there were more songs like 'Blackest Eyes'. With a heavy distorted riff.

Try out the whole Deadwing album. Most songs on there have them heavy riffs on em.
Xplozive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #1403
awesomeo4000
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning shed

Porcupine Tree's live double cd release Octane Twisted features The Incident in its entirety, recorded in Chicago.

The second CD contains highlights from the band's landmark show at Royal Albert Hall.

This special edition of Octane Twisted includes a bonus DVD video of The Incident performed live in Chicago and is available exclusively from this site.

Please note, the versions on Amazon and other websites are 2-disc. We won't be stocking the 2-disc version until this edition has sold out.

The past year has been a busy period for the various members of Porcupine Tree. Steven Wilson is currently gathering rave reviews for his solo records and accompanying tours and also embarked on a rare tour with No-Man, Richard Barbieri has released an acclaimed album with Steve Hogarth from Marillion, Gavin Harrison has continued is successful partnership with 05Ric and Colin Edwin has being working on a solo record along with a new album from his Metallic Taste of Blood project.

Despite all this activity, fans of the band have still been clamouring for a new Porcupine Tree release. This wait ends on November 19th with the release of Octane Twisted¸ a double disc live set recorded during the tour that supported The Incident, the band's most recent album.

The Incident went top 30 in both the UK and USA, and the world tour climaxed with sold out shows at Royal Albert Hall in London and Radio City Music Hall in New York.

The album marked another step forward in the incredible journey of the band from a solo studio project created by Steven Wilson in the late eighties to a grammy nominated act and one of the world's most revered live bands.

Octane Twisted features the album in its entirety recorded in Chicago. The second CD contains highlights from the band's landmark show at Royal Albert Hall.

This special edition of Octane Twisted include a bonus DVD video of the Chicago show.

Pre-order now for 19th November release date
preorder (£13.32 GBP)

also i took a (bad) photo of my PT/SW collection for yall, click for big

Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #1404
BenRaah
well tuned

Tempted to get the new dvd. Not that much into PT like I used to be, but I saw the Incident live right after it was released and it was a great show.

soundcloud
BenRaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #1405
griffin888

I love these guys, anyone know if they have any plans to write/record some new material? I know Steven has been doing some solo stuff, and it's not bad, but some of it is really out there. I need more of the Tree. :P
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #1406
awesomeo4000
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin888
I love these guys, anyone know if they have any plans to write/record some new material?

nope, but judging form what the members are saying it will happen at some point
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1407
Usernames sucks

Does anybody else here feel a hint of depression after listening to the wonderful storm corrosion album?
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #1408
awesomeo4000
ಠ_ಠ

what do you mean
also Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is getting a mail-order exclusive CD reissue this year, no further details than that
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #1409
whywefight
ever mobile

Jesus christ, this band has ten albums out. Where should I start? I realize I could ask the 'where do i even start' thread, but I might as well go to the source.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #1410
awesomeo4000
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
Jesus christ, this band has ten albums out. Where should I start? I realize I could ask the 'where do i even start' thread, but I might as well go to the source.

if you want their weird psychedelic beginnings, Up The Downstair. if you want their space-rock sorta stuff, The Sky Moves Sideways (edit: hell you can't not listen to Signify as well, that album has some of their best individual songs). for their pop-rock stuff, i'd go with Stupid Dream. For their most recent prog rock/metal phase i would start with Fear of a Blank Planet. honestly though, there is no way you can go wrong with this band, all their releases are top quality. i wouldn't start with On The Sunday of Life though, that album is really weird and an acquired taste but it's their first so it's to be expected
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #1411
whywefight
ever mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo4000
if you want their weird psychedelic beginnings, Up The Downstair. if you want their space-rock sorta stuff, The Sky Moves Sideways (edit: hell you can't not listen to Signify as well, that album has some of their best individual songs). for their pop-rock stuff, i'd go with Stupid Dream. For their most recent prog rock/metal phase i would start with Fear of a Blank Planet. honestly though, there is no way you can go wrong with this band, all their releases are top quality. i wouldn't start with On The Sunday of Life though, that album is really weird and an acquired taste but it's their first so it's to be expected

thanks!!!!
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #1412
awesomeo4000
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
thanks!!!!

here, have some song recommendations because that 5 or 6 albums is a lot to get through:

Burning Sky from Up The Downstair
Stars Die from The Sky Moves Sideways
Dark Matter from Signify
Stranger By The Minute from Stupid Dream
Anesthetize from Fear Of A Blank Planet

edit: if i don't say it, someone else will: Trains from In Absentia, their most popular track

Last edited by awesomeo4000 : 01-12-2013 at 01:54 AM.
awesomeo4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #1413
BenRaah
well tuned

In Absentia is a good place to start.Then if you like the heavy stuff go forwards and if you like the other stuff go back.

I'd say Blackest Eyes is probably the quintessential PT song.

soundcloud

Last edited by BenRaah : 01-12-2013 at 07:33 AM.
BenRaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #1414
Usernames sucks

I started with deadwing, and i feel it has many pt elements, as well as it is an easy record to like.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #1415
awesomeo4000
ಠ_ಠ

steven wilson's new album leaked earlier this week and it is ****ing awesome
Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #1416
Ticks & Leeches

I have a spare ticket to see Steven Wilson at the Royal Festival Hall on the 4th March (monday) £25 if anyone is game. Seats KK33

Ticks & Leeches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #1417
Usernames sucks

Is steven wilson a bass, baritone or tenor? Im a low baritone myself (c#2-e4), but i can sing his songs almost always. The highest note i know by him is the a4 in the trains chorus, but live he plays it with capo on 2nd fret instead of 5th. Also one time he played it with capo on 5th fret live, and he cant reach the note propperly at all and it sounds really forced.
To me, his talking voice sounds really bright and thin, and he is not really that masculine but if he cant hit a a4 properly, he cant be a tenor right? I know his is only one preformance, but he usally never puts notes that high in his songs.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #1418
Neo Evil11
UG Hobo

Sing to me raven,
I miss her so much

Sing to me Lilly,
I miss you so much

Anyway, PT are not writing anything because they can't decide on a style. SW doesn't want to play metal, and one of the band members doesn't want to play jazz.

That means all that is left is pop-funk.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #1419
godsonrafel

cam amyone help me out for the bass tabs porcupine tree buying new soul
godsonrafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #1420
Domguy99
Guitarist

Oh my god, Porcupine Tree is amazing. I love Voyage 34, Sleep Together, Radioactive Toy, and the entire album "The Incident". There are a few others I wanted to mention, but I forgot the names. So hard to come by an album, from what I've seen. Then again, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that goes to the store and buys CDs. The quality is just so much better than from youtube or itunes or wherever people get their music nowadays
Domguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: