Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
MattyPS

Tips - How to sound like LOG

Hi there,

I am learning how to play "Redneck" by Lamb Of God. I am not there yet because I can play it at like 90% of the original speed.

However, I am not happy of the sound I get, especially for the main riff (intro riff). It sounds kind of sloppy.

I am not sure if this is because of my settings (maybe too much gain or a wrong EQ) or my playing (too much palm-muting, strict alternate picking, picking strength...).

This is kind of vague but if you have any related tips I would appreciate it!
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

You might want to be more specific about what you mean by "sloppy", that's not a hugely specific tone and you could be having any number of issues.

As a first guess though, I'm more willing to blame technique than anything else.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
MattyPS

If you answered I guess you know the song. In that riff there is a part that goes like this :

Code:
e|---------------------------------| B|---------------------------------| G|---------------------------------| D|---------------------------------| A|-----------------3---------------| D|-0-3-5-6-3-5-6-7---7-6-5-7-6-5-3-| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I used the word sloppy because imo you can't distinguish each note clearly when I am playing it. I'll try to record a little clip.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Well I think then the first thing to do is try playing it completely clean and make sure you're definitely articulating each note properly. If you are then cut some of the gain from your sound; you don't need as much as you almost certainly think you do. Also: more mids; LoG's guitar sound is pretty mid-heavy.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 01-17-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Sickz
Jazz Musician

As Zaphod said, first thing to blame in any situation is your technique, or atleast that is what i think everyone should blame so they make sure that they really work on it if it's lacking.

As said again, if it sounds sloppy it probably is sloppy. When i am working on something, whenever it is a metal song or a jazz song i always make sure that i practice it on a clean setting with no effects. If you can get every pick stroke distinct and separate with a clean setting you got it down. Then you can add distortion just to see that your muting is correct and adjust that. I have all my students do this and most of the time they tell me that they discover the lack of accurate playing once they turn of the distortion.

Just to give you an example, i met Emil Werstler from Daath a couple of years ago and talked with him. He mentioned that he did do that aswell when he was building up his chops, cause he really wanted a distinct picking sound. If there is anyone in the metal genre i would credit for great picking, it's him, and i am not big metal guy. But just listen to how the articulate each note, many players picking sound weak when playing with a clean sound, but his sound is very articulate.

Example:

Bottom-line: Practice it very distinctly, and if you want better feedback you'll probably have to provide us with a clip. It's worth mentioning though that you should not rush the tempo, practice the song and let it develop naturally. Overall performance is far more important than the last 10% of speed.

Hope that was helpful in and shape or form.
Best Regards
Sickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 01-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
MattyPS

Thank you for the answers.

Here is a little clip :

I am not playing at full speed and the gain was set up around 4 (I usually set it at 6-7 and I think it sounded less messy this time). It also sounds way worse when I record it through my audio interface.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
KailM

It's mostly technique but not ALL technique. Certain guitar/amp combos just don't lend themselves to playing Lamb of God's material. For one, active pickups just don't do justice to LOG's riffs. LOG doesn't use nearly as much gain as many other metal bands. I can play a lot of their riffs perfectly, but it doesn't sound like them with my Blackout-equipped guitar. With my old Les Paul w/ a Dimarzio D-Sonic pickup I sounded just like them (through a 6505+, even tough they didn't use that amp). You really need a medium-high output bridge pup to get close to their sound. And then don't turn the gain up that high, and use plenty of mids.

After that, you just need to work on your right hand technique.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: