Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #1641
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

got tezuka's Princess knight vol 1 & 2 today. can't believe I hadn't read it before.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #1642
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Barbra Gordon moves to Burnside and new writers and artists took overt with issue 35 bat girl

Film Thread Blog
My letterboxd that I don't use much
cornmancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #1643
BelowTheSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Barbra Gordon moves to Burnside and new writers and artists took overt with issue 35 bat girl

God awful not-Barbara-Gordon Batgirl then.
BelowTheSun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #1644
cornmancer
Thou mayest

She's not Barbra Gordon? She seemed like that to me, but TBH I did no googling to learn anything before picking this up. I liked it tho. It was very pretty and competently written.

Film Thread Blog
Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #1645
Fisheth24
i swear on me mum

Sandman 2 disturbed me, but I really love the story thus far. Here's to book 3!

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #1646
BelowTheSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
She's not Barbra Gordon? She seemed like that to me, but TBH I did no googling to learn anything before picking this up. I liked it tho. It was very pretty and competently written.

The one thing I genuinely know a lot about in comics is the extended Batman cast. I've read pretty much every Barbara Gordon appearance from the last 25 years or so, and a whole bunch of her silver/bronze age stuff too, and the character currently in the Batgirl book has nothing in common with Babs other than her name.

She's a lot more like Stephanie Brown, which is fine, because I'm hopelessly in love with Steph, but nothing like Babs. I don't get it - the whole book is DC's knee-jerk reaction to Ms Marvel's success, and Steph is the perfect, ready-made character to appeal to a teenage girl fanbase, but instead of doing the logical thing and bringing her back into a book, DC decided to force that character onto an old, established, contradictory one.

As if it wasn't already bad enough that they wiped out her disability, now they've wiped out her personality too. The New 52 has been harsh on my favourite DC characters.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #1647
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Okay I get you. That is dumb. TBH I have never really liked or read much DC stuff, I'm really only reading this on recommendation of guy who works at my comic shop who knows I love Ms. Marvel.

Film Thread Blog
Old 01-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #1648
mystical_1
Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheSun
The one thing I genuinely know a lot about in comics is the extended Batman cast. I've read pretty much every Barbara Gordon appearance from the last 25 years or so, and a whole bunch of her silver/bronze age stuff too, and the character currently in the Batgirl book has nothing in common with Babs other than her name.

She's a lot more like Stephanie Brown, which is fine, because I'm hopelessly in love with Steph, but nothing like Babs. I don't get it - the whole book is DC's knee-jerk reaction to Ms Marvel's success, and Steph is the perfect, ready-made character to appeal to a teenage girl fanbase, but instead of doing the logical thing and bringing her back into a book, DC decided to force that character onto an old, established, contradictory one.

As if it wasn't already bad enough that they wiped out her disability, now they've wiped out her personality too. The New 52 has been harsh on my favourite DC characters.

I've got all of the new 52 Batgirls written by Gail Simone so far. I have to admit though, I stopped reading after the the first five. What I really like about them is the art work. I can't really put my finger on why I can't concentrate on the storyline or enjoy it, Simone has done some great writing, including earlier Deadpool isues. I just look at the pictures, Batgirl has never been hotter.

mystical_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #1649
BelowTheSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
I've got all of the new 52 Batgirls written by Gail Simone so far. I have to admit though, I stopped reading after the the first five. What I really like about them is the art work. I can't really put my finger on why I can't concentrate on the storyline or enjoy it, Simone has done some great writing, including earlier Deadpool isues. I just look at the pictures, Batgirl has never been hotter.

She was shackled by DC's 'IT HAS TO BE DARK AND GRITTY!' rule. That was an actual rule, Gail wanted it to be a bit lighter and more fun, but DC wouldn't let her. That's probably why you're finding it tough.

Also, Oracle > Batgirl. Every time.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #1650
mystical_1
Doomed

Quote:
She was shackled by DC's 'IT HAS TO BE DARK AND GRITTY!' rule. That was an actual rule, Gail wanted it to be a bit lighter and more fun, but DC wouldn't let her. That's probably why you're finding it tough.

Also, Oracle > Batgirl. Every time.

Hrm, I wonder if that's why they fired her but then brought her back a month later after her fan's went nuts about it.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #1651
BelowTheSun

That's pretty much it. Then she decided to leave on her own, only for DC to then turn around and say 'girls like comics now! MAKE BATGIRL LIGHT!', so poor Gail never got a chance to do what she really wanted.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #1652
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Bought first two hardback books of Fables. Under £30 on Amazon, naht bahd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #1653
mystical_1
Doomed

Quote:
That's pretty much it. Then she decided to leave on her own, only for DC to then turn around and say 'girls like comics now! MAKE BATGIRL LIGHT!', so poor Gail never got a chance to do what she really wanted.

That's pretty cool, didn't know that. She was at Boston Comic Con signing books. Almost got enough energy up to take the road trip up there to get my deadpool signed but

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #1654
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

finished Preacher Book 4 in pretty much one go last night.

i enjoyed it, but i'm a little disappointed that it was mostly flashbacks and setup for the next book.

i mean i loved it, but i'm kinda pissed that i'm left hanging and i'm gonna have to buy book 5 sooner than i anticipated and i really shouldn't be spending any money until i get another job.

i've been thinking about going to Comic Con and i live in NJ. which one do i go to? how much is it? how packed will it be? also, i hate Boston, so i'd rather not go to that one.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #1655
Fisheth24
i swear on me mum

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: