Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
ajloeshx

Help! Weird action problem :(

Hi everyone.
My action on my guitar is far too high at the top frets, but down at the bottom it's fairly low.
If i change the action at the saddle so it's a nice distance higher up the neck, I get serious fret buzz and the 17th - 24th frets all make the SAME NOTE!

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sat here with my tools ready to try stuff out!
ajloeshx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
ajloeshx

I forgot to mention this is a Floyd Rose Guitar. A Vintage V8BRQ
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
dspellman

I'm not sure what you're calling top and bottom...
The Floyd Rose business has nothing to do with anything.
Take it to a tech and have him check the nut height. If that's good, then you want to check your frets for level.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
ajloeshx

top = higher frets, bottom = lower frets
I fixed it (temp) by placing some card under the neck where it bolts to the body.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
jjfeu662
Celestia

Pictures?

Depending on what you call the top and bottom frets, it sounds like truss rod, but don't quote me on that.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
D_M_I
Omniscient

Press the string down at the first fret (next to nut) and the 17th or so. You want a very little gap (think high E 10 guage string thickness) between the string an the top of the frets in the middle.

If you have no gap you will need to loosen the truss rod. If you have a large gap you will need to tighten the truss rod. Turn it about a quarter turn and let it sit a few hours at least. Keep adjusting until you have the right relief in the neck. Ultimately you will need to let it sit over night to see where it stops moving at. Do this with the strings tuned properly also.

When that's good, you can try adjusting your action to where you want it. If you still have fret buzz at a reasonable height, you will need to look at a raised fret etc.

If you don't feel up to messing with it, take it to a tech and let them set it up.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajloeshx

Hi everyone.
My action on my guitar is far too high at the top frets, but down at the bottom it's fairly low.

Having higher action on the higher frets than on the lower ones is normal.
Quote:
If i change the action at the saddle so it's a nice distance higher up the neck, I get serious fret buzz and the 17th - 24th frets all make the SAME NOTE!

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sat here with my tools ready to try stuff out!

First of all, NEVER adjust the action (turn the bridge posts) on a floyd rose bridge if your strings are at full tension. It'll destroy the knife edges that allow the bridge the hinge smoothly against the bridge posts.

It seems to me like the 24th fret is sitting way too high on the fingerboard. You'll need to take the guitar to a tech to lower the height of the 24th fret so that the frets behind it can ring out clearly.

Adjusting the truss rod will not fix this because the problem is too high up the neck. The truss rod will only have a significant impact on the frets lower down the neck, only up to the first 12 frets or so.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: