Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
Syndromed
French guy

If you have a small riff to practice, you can just put your metronome and practice it while watching something, I think this is not a problem.

I agree, you have to focus on what you play, but when it's something very repetitive and not too big and you can practice it perfectly while watching something, where is the difference ?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
If you have a small riff to practice, you can just put your metronome and practice it while watching something, I think this is not a problem.

I agree, you have to focus on what you play, but when it's something very repetitive and not too big and you can practice it perfectly while watching something, where is the difference ?

The point is you can't practice perfectly without concentrating on it. Unless you're some kind of genius who actually has two brains...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #23
Syndromed
French guy

Try, take the most famous small lick by Paul Gilbert, take your metronome and try to play it while watching something. I'm pretty sure you can do it easily, isn't ?

I didn't say to practice a full Dream Theater song while watching the tv, but just something very simple and small.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Try, take the most famous small lick by Paul Gilbert, take your metronome and try to play it while watching something. I'm pretty sure you can do it easily, isn't ?

I didn't say to practice a full Dream Theater song while watching the tv, but just something very simple and small.

Play? Yes.

Practice? No. Not even close.

Practicing isn't simple repetition, if you repeat something without thinking about what you're doing then you're not going to improve it, you're just going to ingrain what you already know further in to your muscle memory.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
Syndromed
French guy

Yes, that's what I tried to explain, "just to ingrain further in to your muscle memory".

So "practicing isn't simple repetition" ? So what's the name for "I have a riff to play, with the aim of playing it at the right speed", you have to "practice" it to get it at the right speed ? And you practice it ... with repetition.

What's "practicing" for you Zaphod ? Learning new things ? Getting better at something ?
Yeah, but for doing that, you have to practice, you have to repeat.

If I'm wrong, tell me.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Yes, that's what I tried to explain, "just to ingrain further in to your muscle memory".

So "practicing isn't simple repetition" ? So what's the name for "I have a riff to play, with the aim of playing it at the right speed", you have to "practice" it to get it at the right speed ? And you practice it ... with repetition.

What's "practicing" for you Zaphod ? Learning new things ? Getting better at something ?
Yeah, but for doing that, you have to practice, you have to repeat.

If I'm wrong, tell me.

Ok, I'm sure I've explained this before but for me it goes like this:

Playing is just playing, either no particular aim or running through things you already know you can do well enough.

Learning is repeating something like a song until you can play it without having to think about what comes next.

Practice is much more involved: practice is sitting down and specifically improving your technique. It involves repetition but simply repeating something isn't enough to improve; you need to think about your movements, make sure you're not tensing up at all and all that stuff.

Put simply: practice involves repetition but repetition is not practice.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #27
Syndromed
French guy

Ok I understood now your thoughts.

So guys who "practice" the same thing for hours ... are very courageous.

Anyway, thank you for your explain Zaphod ... very useful

Rate This Thread: