Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
StickmanP

Intonation problems on high E string

Hi all,

I'm having problems intonating the high E string on my Squier by Fender Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s. I've adjusted the saddle all the way and it is still flat by 15 cents when playing at the 12th fret.

Here's an image of what it looks like:

I'm unsure of what I can do next to be honest. Do I have a bad string and just need to replace it? I'm very much a beginner so apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks brothers.
StickmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
izzyvercetty
Rock 'n Rolla

How long have you used these string for? Here's what i think can be causing it:
Bad manufactured string
You need to adjust the truss rod
or the Nut slots are way higher.

But make sure you you rotate the saddle in short movements
izzyvercetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
izzyvercetty
Rock 'n Rolla

turn the saddle clockwise
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
StickmanP

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyvercetty
How long have you used these string for? Here's what i think can be causing it:
Bad manufactured string
You need to adjust the truss rod
or the Nut slots are way higher.

But make sure you you rotate the saddle in short movements

I've used the strings for close to a year now and it's only the high E string which is causing me a problem.

With regards to adjusting the truss rod, the guy in this video says there should be a 1 or 2mm gap between the string and fret on the 12 fret when you have your fingers down on both the first and last fret. Looking at my guitar, I think I only have a 0.5mm gap. Should I look to adjust the truss rod so that there is a bigger gap and do you think this could help me with my intonation problem? I assume I would have to adjust the saddles on the other 5 strings which are currently working once I've done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyvercetty
turn the saddle clockwise

I can't turn the saddle clockwise anymore.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

wait wait wait, you have had the same strings on there for a year? Or you using the same brand? Old strings can throw off intonation.

Even solid brands can have a bad string. Most are machine made but nothings impossible.

As for your truss rod, I cant tell ya. I think you should buy new strings first.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
lilke

Fairly certain your only problem is the age of the strings. I had that once and I broke my intonation screw because of that. Just get a new set of strings.
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
StickmanP

Thanks for the responses so far guys, much appreciated. I've never replaced my strings since I bought the guitar a year ago, so I'm hoping this is the issue. Being a noob, would you guys have any advice on what strings to buy for Squier by Fender Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s? I've had a Google and there are loads of strings out there, but I'm just looking for strings which would be similar to those that came with the guitar originally. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

They probably came with Fender Bullets? I think thats what theyre called. Honestly, strings are all preference man. Try some D'addarios. I love them and so do a lot of people.

If you hate changing strings, buy some Elixers. Theyll keep for a couple months. Honestly, once you change your strings your going to notice a huge difference in tone.

Look up in the set up thread, and get you some strings. It probably came with .9s or .10s I prefer .10s, but .9s are a little bit thinner and easier to bend.

G
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Yeah, definately change the strings. I recommend Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
ConcertShooter
Banned

Replace your strings often if you play often. I only practice but replace mine at least every three months. No reason for yours to be that far out and doubt it's the saddle or bridge that's the problem.

Change out violin strings less often and still have a set on one of my violins that's a little over a year old now. They cost $80 for a set of four so it's clear why they don't get changed as frequently. However, if I were playing professionally then it would be a different matter. Could get less expensive strings (Dominants) but I like the brighter sound that the Pirastro Evah Pirazzi's give.

I use Elixir .10s on my guitars at the moment. Using them only because of their reputation and I suppose their marketing program. I don't mind spending $10 on a set of guitar strings if they're good and last a while. In comparison to violin strings that's cheap.

Since the guitar's sound is less inclined to be affected by the wood (as would an acoustic violin) and more so by the pickups and amp, I may switch strings down the road if there is something better than the Elixirs. And may increase to .11s as I progress on the instrument, but have always liked the .10s for as long as I remember.

What other brands\types of guitar strings do you all like to use? Please do not consider money a factor if answering this question. Guitar strings are inexpensive as far as I'm concerned. At least at $10-12 a pack, but I would like to hear other suggestions if there's something more appropriate for 60-70s rock, blues, jazz, and like music. I am not a hard metal guy or heavy distortion connoisseur. I prefer quality and substance in my music rather than volume and anger.

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 12-22-2012 at 01:16 PM.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
xonty

Its probably cos the string is too old and rusty. If you leave it then the other strings will become like it but its nothing bad. Just change the strings.
xonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Ibbod0

I have one like that... 80s fernandes superstrat, nicest looking guitar, great sound, but I can't move the saddle forward any more on half the strings.. (although only the first 2 strings are flat)

interestingly though, the guitar sounds overall more in tune playing chords than my other guitars with "perfect" intonation. I don't know if that's the reason, but still interesting...
Ibbod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
They probably came with Fender Bullets? I think thats what theyre called. Honestly, strings are all preference man. Try some D'addarios. I love them and so do a lot of people.

If you hate changing strings, buy some Elixers. Theyll keep for a couple months. Honestly, once you change your strings your going to notice a huge difference in tone.

Look up in the set up thread, and get you some strings. It probably came with .9s or .10s I prefer .10s, but .9s are a little bit thinner and easier to bend.

G

Fender Bullets are decent strings. So are D'Addarios. Elixirs are a bit more expensive and will last a bit longer. I have all three brands on my 8 guitars and everything from 9s to 13s. Tone will be different with new strings - it will be brighter for about the first week, then will tend to get warmer. Some guitarists prefer the warmer tone of aged strings.

FWIW, it's easier to bend on 9s, but I do frequent bends with the Elixir 13s installed on my Taylor Custom GS. It's all just a matter of finger strength.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
fc89konkari
UG Addict

You might have to give the truss rod a quarter of a turn anti-clockwise to loosen it a bit to give the neck a bit more relief. First you'd want to change the strings, like previously mentioned.

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
StickmanP

Thanks again for all your help guys, much appreciated. I just bought some Elixir Electric Guitar Strings Light (0.010 - 0.046). Once I've restringed it, I'll let you know if my problem was solved.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Great! Make sure you restring it right. Check the setup thread for some useful tips.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Shiiiiat that's some old strings!!! I try to replace mine every few weeks really, waiting a year is just insane! I can see the gunk on the strings just in that pic, change them out and you should notice a big difference, not only in the intonation suddenly being better but also your tone will be way brighter and cleaner.
Dam that must feel horrible to play with those strings.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

^ It really depends on how often you play. I change my strings every three months or something. But yeah, they start feeling and sounding pretty bad then.

Remember to adjust the intonation after restringing.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
StickmanP

I changed all my strings and now I'm having no problems with the high E string at all. Everything is sounding good! Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
izzyvercetty
Rock 'n Rolla

You're welcome mate

Rate This Thread: