Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
apotterdd
\m/Dio\m/

How do you know a song in in Drop D?

I've been wondering this for awhile now. I can't tell otherwise if a song is standard or in Drop D or some other drop tuning?

Is there a special way to do Drop tuning on the bass? I've been playing things a fret down and haven't been able to figure out how to de-tune it. I've never really thought about it way back when but now I'm more intrested in doing that.

Thanks.

Anita
apotterdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
musicmanstinger
UG Senior Member

There is nothing special about detuning a Bass down to drop D. All you do is tune the low E string down to D making the top two strings in 5ths not 4ths. In terms of playing scales this shifts everything which would be on the E string down 2 frets.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
musicmanstinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Standard tuning: EADG, drop D tuning: DADG. Tune the low E string down a whole step (2 frets).

And how do we know a song is in drop D? Well, I would listen what the lowest note played is. Though it could also be D standard. Maybe you can google the song or the artist and find out the tuning.

But usually if the guitars are tuned to drop D, they'll use the D note because otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play in drop D.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
corrda00
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Standard tuning: EADG, drop D tuning: DADG. Tune the low E string down a whole step (2 frets).

And how do we know a song is in drop D? Well, I would listen what the lowest note played is. Though it could also be D standard. Maybe you can google the song or the artist and find out the tuning.

But usually if the guitars are tuned to drop D, they'll use the D note because otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play in drop D.

Some bands do it for better chord voicings. ELP's you turn me on is in drop D but they don't use the low D very often.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Usernames sucks

A method that you can use that often will work is to see a live clip of the band. If the guitarplayer does powerchords on the lowest string with one finger, then its drop d, if they do a regular shaped one, then its d standard. You could also google it, or watch covers and see what most pepole use. Im sure that its some bands with guitars in drop d and bass in d standard, since you most likely dont need the 5th relation between the two lowest string to play it on bass.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
apotterdd
\m/Dio\m/

Thanks. I'll have to give some things a listen and see if they're actually in D tuning if not I can just play in standard tune unless the lowest note is something I can't do in standard.
apotterdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: