Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Guitar Hack

The Dance C4C

This is a new song I wrote. It is a folk rock type song.
Recorded with an MXL R144 Ribbon Mic, Home made from a kit Martin HD 28 with an adirondack spruce top. It was recorded on a USW-144 MKII computer interface andf I used an Alesis Q25 midi controller and two AKG Perception 170 pencil mics for recording the guitar.

I value your opinion and will provide you with a critique for your critique.

Thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=477036
Guitar Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Emptywordsbass

There are a few noticeable timing issues with the guitar and with the singing. Keep up the good work!
Emptywordsbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
XF2
XF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hack
This is a new song I wrote. It is a folk rock type song.
Recorded with an MXL R144 Ribbon Mic, Home made from a kit Martin HD 28 with an adirondack spruce top. It was recorded on a USW-144 MKII computer interface andf I used an Alesis Q25 midi controller and two AKG Perception 170 pencil mics for recording the guitar.

I value your opinion and will provide you with a critique for your critique.

Thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=477036

I moved this from my Thread: (Requesting my critique Of your song The Dance)

Fair enuff (you asked 4 it...lol) ...Please understand that I'm not much into Folk music but as a musician/ songwriter, I'll offer you a review of what EYE perceive to be pros and cons...Here goes

Pros:

1.) The acoustic guitar sounds nice and the EQ/ mix is fine
2.) The vocal mix is clean and not over-processed
3.) The vocal is in key and no real hiccups as far as flat is concerned
4.) The song structure is recognizable and inside the bell curve
5.) There is inflection in yer vocals that breaks up monotony

Cons:

1.) I listened to the song twice and nothing in it makes me wanna go skippin down the street hummin the tune in my head....The hook is almost non-existant except for a few repeats....Reminds me (of saaaay) Gordon Lightfoot's "Edmond Fitzgerald" where he tells a story but pretty much counts on the guitar to provide the hook....Exactly HOW many words of that song do you remember ? .....And that got crazy radio play back in the day....
2.) Lyrically, Yer saying quite a lot but (in the end) what does it all mean if after listening to it a few times, the audience has to struggle for all the inner meanings to yer clever phrasing. Which by the way, in an attempt to piece the verses together, there is clearly a struggle to make it flow.....You basically say yer first line and then fill in the words to make the second line fit and rhyme (imo) ...In a few cases, the second line comes up a syllable or 2 short of "roll off yer tongue" ...(Where she went I will never see,,,,,yawn) .......Just sayin....
3.) I keep doing a "what if" in my head if you actually produced this song that would allow for a decent drum and bass track....This song could easily still fit into a folk genre and provide a MUCH broader pallet for what yer doing...the almost click track percussion is more than once out of step and uninspiring....almost a distraction....
4.) Even though, there is some inflection of yer voice, for a song that is only 3:21 long, it actually seems much longer because of the multiple verses.....again, this easily could have been accounted for by fully producing this song....

In short, think of the great folk singers such as Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie and others.....A song can say a lot and still not have to say so much....My guess is that if you had to sing all yer songs in one night without a lyrics sheet, a few beers and couple of shots would have you stumbling for words...lol....

Please don't think I'm being overly harsh....The song is what it is and its yours...Nobody can take that from you...you made something out of nothing....Good to go in my book....It's just a matter of how far do you want to take it ? I HAVE an excuse for my songs being crappy...lol...NOBODY is gonna take my over-distorted silliness seriously ....If you want people to SERIOUSLY take that song seriously, put it away for 3 months, pull it back out and clean it up lyrically.....nuff said ....Lee

P.S. She's my little girl has a MUCH better hook but the reverb on the vocal is WAAAAY too much and you will have to be slapped....Did I mention the hook on "She's my little girl" is MUCH better ? LOL
XF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
kimjongpoon
2gangsta2die

i do hear lots of times where the timing is a little off, but i like it nonetheless!
i'm a big fan of folk music, and i just gotta say, your imperfections are what make the song yours. it's what makes up your singing style.
your vocals need to be a little higher volume-wise, i can't hear some of what you're saying in some parts.
i give it a 6/10, you should come back to it at a later time, and rerecord it to keep track of your progress.
cheers!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
caw1
have guitar will travel

Drums need work. The vocals dont sound so great cause there's to much effect going on there. its hard to keep up with your lyrics. Its not bad but it needs work. Nice to see another nebraskan on her!

FB https://www.facebook.com/cody.whited.5
YT http://www.youtube.com/user/codyawhited
caw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
XF2
XF2

Not even a thank you or acknowledgement from guitar hack for us taking our time to review his hideous song...says a lot about him being able to take constructive criticism and participate in a thread that he , himself started....Count me out in the future....
Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
aaron aardvark

XF2,
We are not supposed to thank people on this forum, as it bounces our own thread. It seems we are only supposed to answer questions (and then can thank people).

Guitar Hack,
This song has some odd timing issues at times (I think it is mostly because of the drums/percussion). Maybe stick with a more simple 4/4 time through out? I like the melodies. The lyrics: I find them somewhat humorous, but I'm not sure they were meant to be. Singing is pretty good. Guitar audio is pretty good. I liked this song better the second time I heard it. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1609249

Last edited by aaron aardvark : 07-15-2013 at 11:59 PM.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
XF2
XF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
XF2,
We are not supposed to thank people on this forum, as it bounces our own thread. It seems we are only supposed to answer questions (and then can thank people).

Well, THAT blows.....Not supposed to say thank you ? That's whats wrong with this world today....Like we're gonna run outa server space or sumthin.....jeesh
Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

The problem is with "bumping". Posting in a thread moves it to the top of the forum. If everyone posts a "thank you" in their thread, suddenly the whole first page of a forum doesn't have anything new on it other than a million "thank you"s. It's forum etiquette.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
ryan19

left a comment on ur profile. didnt see this forum til now
ryan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
skatooter

Cheers for the comment guitar hack. I'm a big fan of folk music, I must say I enjoyed your vocal melody, the timing in the song has issues here and there and i'm not sure about the percussion, it seems a bit bare. Guitar playing is quite good but I think I would have preferred a more natural acoustic sound.

With a few tweaks it would be a really good song, good job!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
GuitarGuy2387
One Funky Monk

Love that 12 string sounding guitar.
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
GuitarGuy2387 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: