Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
y2k11hmmm?
**** guitars are the ****

Weird Wiring Stuff...

Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted, but here's a weird sitch that's going on now with one of my most finicky builds. It's a white LP body with a Squier Tele Custom neck. It has GFS electronics (the Pro Series humbuggies). The pups have a braid and a black. I have it all wired up with 1007 RadioShock wire, correctly, I think. I can upload a schematic of how it's all done up if necessary. I had it making noise with some solid core thermostat wire a month back, but it was a single pickup in effect, and I decided to replace all the wires with non-solid core. I finally finished it tonight, or so I thought, but when I plugged it in it buzzed quite badly, and was very quiet. Like VERY quiet. It sounds like it wants to be loud, but it's being held back. Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
y2k11hmmm? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Viban
UG's resident bum

Does the buzzing go away when you touch any of the metal hardware? Did you use shielded wire? Are your solder joints all solid?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Post your schematic and a picture of your wiring.

Do all the tone and volume knobs function normally?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
y2k11hmmm?
**** guitars are the ****

Jeez, I should've responded sooner... If I don't get help from the same guys, I won't be surprised. Here's the schematic, and I think that I may have found my mistakes by taking the time to draw out a detailed schemmy, but it's also a possibility that I missed other things.
Feel like an idiot now.

edit: no attachment. If it's too small, I can try to get you a bigger one.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood

Last edited by y2k11hmmm? : 10-18-2012 at 02:05 AM.
y2k11hmmm? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

That diagram is awful to try and read.

But I can see that the only pot that's grounded is the bridge tone pot. Wire all of the pot casings together.

Also, if you have a Gibson 3-way toggle, it needs to be grounded. I honestly don't know if that affects anything in any serious way, but that's the standard way for a Les Paul.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

The pot tabs Im pointing to. Check they are they grounded to the pot chassis along with the braids from the pickup cables.

The wire youve marked in yellow from the tone pot to the tone pot chassis, no idea why thats there. Not needed. Remove it

Bridge ground wire should be soldered to the same pot chassis that your output jack ground is soldered to. Then all the other pot chassis' and switch chassis should be soldered to that one also to complete the grounds. Check you haven't reversed the hot and ground of your output jack also
Attached Images

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 10-18-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: