User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
TwinBroz
Guitar God

Location: In a world of music, mostly heavy metal guitar, lol
Economy Picking

Is it necessary? Alternate picking is very useful as we all know. But are there things that economy picking can only make possible, such as speed etc.

All in all, the main question here is, is it worth practicing?
Fender 15G Amp (Boo)
Wishlist:
ESP Signature (Syu) Crying Star
ESP Signature (Leda) Horizon II NT
Marshall DSL100 Halfstack
BOSS GT-10 Effects Pedal
TwinBroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Everything is worth practicing.

A little more information:

Economy picking is no faster once you're really good at it than alternate picking. Not really. The benefits in that regard are purely theoretical.

THAT SAID... economy picking definitely sounds different, that much is certain. It also lends itself to different kinds of ideas when playing. There are some things that I do with economy picking that I would hate to have to learn with pure alternate picking. Look up guys like Derryl Gabel, Santiago Dobles, Paul Masvidal and Frank Gambale for an idea of the kind of things that economy picking really lends itself to. Particularly odd rhythmic groupings work well, like this lick in groups of 7:

Code:
e|-12-10-8-10-12-10-8----------------------------------------------------------- b|--------------------12-10-8-10-12-10-8---------------------------------------- g|---------------------------------------11-9-7-9-11-9-7------------------------ d|-------------------------------------------------------10-9-7-9-10-9-7-------- a|-----------------------------------------------------------------------10-9-7- e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------ P--u--d--u-d--u--d--u-u--d--u-d--u--d--u-u--d-u-d-u--d-u-u--d-u-d-u--d-u-u--d-u-
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinBroz
Is it necessary? Alternate picking is very useful as we all know. But are there things that economy picking can only make possible, such as speed etc.

All in all, the main question here is, is it worth practicing?

Economy picking gives a bit more smooth legato-like feeling in contrast to alternates more aggressive style but overall its not one or the other.Its a good practise to get good at alternate picking first though, and then start exploring sweeps(cause mainly thats what economy is all about when crossing strings you do it in one sweeping motion).

A good example of a player who uses both is Malmsteen.Malmsteen mainly economy picks especially when doing ascending runs(towards the floor) but when decending most of the times(although not always) uses alternate picking.That doesnt mean of course that you have to do it too that way but it shows that they are both equally useful and virtually indistinguishable if you do them right.

So yes definately its very useful in many areas where for the same result you need triple the work alternating but you definately can live without it too.My take is that if you practise sweep picking, your economy ll come very naturally anyway so you dont need many specialized exercises .
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

The difference in sound is pretty simple, you get that fluid/gliding sound because you sweep through the string changes.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
StuartBahn

Great answers guys.

OP - There are many techniques out there. My feeling is that it's a good idea to try them out - properly - then make a decision as to whether this is something that will be useful in where you would like to take your playing. There is A LOT to do out there in the world of music, so we have to make these judgements.

Technique is also something that can become addictive at the expense of other areas. If someone hasn't ever learned their arpeggios then that is probably more important/pressing than looking into more advanced techniques.

That said, I'm not suggesting that this is a rule that must be obeyed!
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
sbida
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
A good example of a player who uses both is Malmsteen.Malmsteen mainly economy picks especially when doing ascending runs(towards the floor) but when decending most of the times(although not always) uses alternate picking.
: .

i think he does opposite. When he is going down from low e to high e, sound is very aggressive, you can recognize by the sound. But when he climbs the ladders from high e to low e string sound is smooth+he adds slide
sbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbida
i think he does opposite. When he is going down from low e to high e, sound is very aggressive, you can recognize by the sound. But when he climbs the ladders from high e to low e string sound is smooth+he adds slide

Check out this video here, that also has a lot of close ups on the right hand.He 100% economy picks when ascending(you can clearly see it) and when descending can be a matter of debate but he seems to mostly alternating

Rate This Thread: