Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

First Custom Build

I feel like a kid at christmas starting on this! A nearby guitar factory has a room set aside for ambitious guitar enthusiasts to come along and build their own guitar with assistance from a luthier with 30+ years of experience

So here goes, theres afew things i could do with advice on

Body - Custom

Body Core - Africian Mahogany

Top - Quilted maple/ebony/birds eye maple/ebony/quilted maple

Finish - Nitro

Color - Purple to black sunburst

Neck construction -bolt on- africian mahogany/ebony/birds eye maple/ebony/africian mahogany

Headstock - 7 degree angled (3x3) PRSish shape

Headstock veneer - matches body

Fingerboard - ebony

Frets - 24 (25.5'' scale)

Inlays - Custom cut double layer V style (mop and abalone)

Electronics - 2 X volume, 2 X tone, Toggle killswitch, Toggle pickup selector,

Pickups (HH)

- Neck - sustainer stealth pro

- Bridge, need a little bit of assistance. Out of my guitar history to date, my favourtive pickups have been Gibson Dirty fingers, or Rockfield Mafia SWV, I play dirty rock and roll, alot of distortion, through a vox nighttrain 50, any other suggestions? between 60-100

Hardware - Black

Knobs - These

Jack - Help! Im fed up with standard ones coming loose, are there other options?

Tuners - Grover Rotomatics

Bridge - I need help here too, i want a floating trem, the only ones ive owned are a licenced floyd rose speedloader and an ibanex edge 3. Speedloaders out of the question, hated it with passion, so i swapped it for an ibanez which has this edge 3 on it. To be fair, apart from an inital set up i have not tinkered with this tremelo, and it has impressed me with its stability, are dearer trems like schaller or offical floyd roses that much better to justify the cost?

Template for the body (iphone camera, my bad

Headstock

Body glued and clamped

Last edited by mark.bark : 02-03-2013 at 08:01 PM.
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
MoJo-EaTeR
Sleaze Metal Idiot

For the bridge pickup, I'd suggest a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

As for the bridge, the only floating trem I have experience with is an Original Floyd Rose, which I love to death. The thing holds tuning perfectly, and I abuse the hell out of it. So I can't say it's better than any other floating trems, but I can say it's an amazing bridge.
MoJo-EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Personally, I wouldn't put a questionable trem into a guitar I was going to spend so much time building. I'd either go for the original Floyd, the Schaller Floyd, or Gotoh Floyd. My first pick would no doubt be the Gotoh, but it all depends on availability.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
RebuildIt

<voice=napoleon>lucky!</napoleon>
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Personally, I wouldn't put a questionable trem into a guitar I was going to spend so much time building. I'd either go for the original Floyd, the Schaller Floyd, or Gotoh Floyd. My first pick would no doubt be the Gotoh, but it all depends on availability.

I've thought about it over night, and I see what you mean. There's no point in putting a strip of ebony and different maple in the middle of the body if I'm going to rout more than half of it back out out for pickups and trem cavity..

I got the neck heel for the ice man I posted about last week, so that can have the sustainer.
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.bark
Jack - Help! Im fed up with standard ones coming loose, are there other options?
I put a cylinder jack in my last build, mainly because it was all I had room for. But thinking about it, I may use one in my next build too. It's rock solid.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: