Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
trevh

New(ish) Rig Day! Pics, Clips, Reviews!

Hey guys, long time lurker - rare poster. I just was brought in as the new guitarist in a local band, and a gear revamp was in order. Just thought I'd give a little update and review of some of the new stuff!

*I apologize for the picture quality, my phone is literally all that I have to take pictures with*

Up first:

(Instagram pictures because I'm artsy as f*ck)

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue!

To be fair, I've had this for a little while now and I think I posted a NAD about it at one time, but now I've had a chance to really get to know her and write a better review.

Basically, I love this amp. The cleans are what you would expect from a fender - rich, clear, deep - the reverb sounds great, too. However it's really easy to overdo the reverb, anything over 3 and you're starting to get the washed out "surfy" kinda thing. However, if you're going for a "strictly clean" sound, this amp probably shouldn't be your first choice. It breaks up fairly quickly (another reason I love it). With most humbucker equipped guitars it starts getting grit around 3-3.5, single coils are usually around 4-4.5 on the volume knob. Mind you, it's pretty loud at this point, too. Probably not going to get natural breakup at bedroom levels. Speaking of the breakup... it sounds AWESOME. Pure rock n' roll, very dynamic, and surprisingly dirty when you crank it.

One thing I've noticed with this amp... the controls are very touchy. Going up or down one value on the treble and bass knobs makes a real difference, it takes some time to really dial in a tone that isn't too boomy or icepicky, but once you find the sweet spot, it's pretty great.

Up next:

Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe Reissue!

I've been eyeing up this guitar for the longest time, and one popped up on my local classifieds and I pulled the trigger. It's exactly what I was looking for - it's got a real distinct sound. It's definitely fuller than your normal telecaster (as expected) but still surprisingly "jangly". She plays beautifully, the neck is thick (in the best possible way), and plus it just looks totally badass.

I've heard a pretty standard mod is to replace the 250k pots with 500k to brighten/clear up the sound. I'm pretty intrigued.. I dunno though, I find the guitar is actually on the bright side already, especially through that deluxe reverb. Thoughts on this/has anyone tried this?
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
trevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
trevh

Theres more!

My dad built me this pedalboard, he's awesome. I showed him a picture of a pedaltrain and told him I didn't want to pay $200 for that, so I show up a week later and boom! A pretty killer play on a pedaltrain. Not too much to say I suppose, velcro strips on the top, adjustable rubber feet, handle, aluminum construction. My friends all want my dad to build them some too, haha.

Plenty of room underneath to mount a power supply (which I plan on doing shortly). I'm just using a OneSpot right now, it's ok. Also has velcro straps underneath so you can run your cords neatly through the bottom. It's kinda messy right now, but it cleans up nicely.

Speaking of pedals, these are all new to me:

The pitchblack and tubescreamer are pretty standard - both do what they're supposed to pretty well. I shouldn't really complain about the tube screamer as I got it for free (lazy friends ftw!), but it wouldn't be my first choice for a boost. I guess I'm more of a transparent boost kinda guy, and the tubescreamer really colours the tone (I'm aware that most people don't have the tubescreamer in mind as a first choice for a cleanish boost anyways, but that's mainly what I use it for). I usually set the gain low and level high and use it for some grit.

The AC booster is in it's own league. This thing rules, every single way you adjust the knobs is totally usable, and totally sweet sounding. Using it as a clean boost adds only what I can describe as life to your tone, sweetens everything up. Turning up the gain a bit will get you in some serious crunch territory, and it's fully capable of mid level gain settings too. I'd recommend the Xotic stuff to anyone!

PS - running the tubescreamer into the ac booster gets some pretty cool sounds, too! Can get pretty heavy, I usually use this for solos.

And I've also picked up one of these:

Seagull S6 Original - It's a budget guitar, but one hell of a budget guitar. Handmade in Quebec, Seagull is a sister company of Godin. From what the internetz has told me, it's one of the better $500ish acoustics, and I whole heartedly agree. Solid cedar top and wild cherry back and sides. It sounds good, it plays nice, nuff' said.

My Grandpa does leather work, and he made me this strap. It's completely priceless and something I'm going to hold onto forever.. Best birthday present, ever?

But wait... what's this...

Another, S6?! haha. It popped up on the classifieds for $150 and I was like "lol ok". It needed a little work.. the nut fell off and the strings that were on it were probably hazardous. A little cleaning, and she's up and running - sounds pretty similar to the other S6, if not a little warmer... It's about 6-7 years older than the one I originally bought. Probably going to sell it to a friend... or keep it.. or whatever.

Bonus pics!

My bandmate's Laney VC30. I'm not sure how I feel about this amp. I've heard it's basically an AC30 clone with some added features, and I absolutely love the AC30 so I had high hopes. The clean channel sounds the best: bright, jangly, super pleasant.. I don't know if he just has his dirt channel EQ'd weird, but it's pretty harsh. I haven't had a chance to really play it myself though, so I'll hold judgement till then.

Here's a quick YouTube video of me fooling around with the new tele. The sound quality kinda sucks (Sorry!) - I was fooling around with the new GoPro camera my dad got as well, it doesn't capture sound too well. Here's a general idea, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEC1VrN3Ub8

*TL;DR - Bad pictures of cool stuff! Bad video's of cool stuff!*
Seagull S6 Original

Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Ippon
Amped

Sweet. Congrats!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

you have some good taste. that seagull is awesome. i have owned two and they don't disappoint, great guitars

i did the 250K -> 500K mod on the '72 RI, it's a great mod. opens the guitar up quite a bit and is def worth it. i usually recommend it to anyone with '72 RI.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
trevh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i did the 250K -> 500K mod on the '72 RI, it's a great mod. opens the guitar up quite a bit and is def worth it. i usually recommend it to anyone with '72 RI.

Is it difficult/expensive? I truly haven't looked very far into it.
Seagull S6 Original

Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevh
Is it difficult/expensive? I truly haven't looked very far into it.

if you know how to solder than it is a 10/15 dollar mod. just the cost of two 500K volume taper pots. you can take it to a tech and pay pretty much their bench fee (~35 usd) to install them.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
jbarnes.US

The wild cherry on the sides of that guitar is gorgeous!
jbarnes.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Hey man. Not necessarily my type of gear but hella thread.

I mainly wanted to say 'how cool' that your dad made that board and your grandfather made that strap. That is neat. Cool house and cool video too. You included cats too so +1 for paying attention to details.

HNGD
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Talon64

Love that guitar strap..... very rockulas i wish i had a grandpa who could do that....!
Talon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

very nice stuff there

i wouldn't say a vc30 is an ac30 clone, it's more sorta in the ballpark of an ac30. but the ones i've tried didn't sound that close. that being said, the od channels were pretty vintage-sounding, from what i can remember, it shouldn't sound harsh...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

The business about your dad and grandpa making stuff is really cool. it's great to have family members like that.

And that's one helluva rig, I'm diggin it. I assume y'all are playing country/blues?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
trevh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
The business about your dad and grandpa making stuff is really cool. it's great to have family members like that.

And that's one helluva rig, I'm diggin it. I assume y'all are playing country/blues?

Yeah, they're really supportive. I think my Dad builds me stuff because I just moved out and he doesn't want to admit that he might miss me :p haha.

And I'm actually playing indie/alt rock and some folk kinda stuff. Blues jams do occur, though.

*shameless band plug - A Waste Odyssey *
Seagull S6 Original

Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Robbgnarly

Nice

Yeah some of us dads can be pretty cool some times
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
ChrisN
I signed up for this?

That same Fender guitar in to a Laney VC30 (plus pedals of course) is exactly my current rig. Tasty as hell.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

HNRigD!

Very cool gear you got!
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: