Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #18781
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

So… basically, this Bikewer guy came to advertise a YouTube Channel? Or just to start telling us we're all doing it wrong? Or something else?

I'm not gonna answer a lot of that because most people in here know far more about it than me, but regarding 'protein supplementation' with shakes etc. - it's far more convenient for most people to get their protein with help from a shake that takes a few mins to make and consume, at most. Also, some of the better value products work out far cheaper for a decent sized serving of protein, than buying decent meat/other foodstuffs.

And I'm sure you have good intentions (well, possibly) but you should also know that science has changed a hell of a lot since 1961 and probably 95% of what was in that book is now considered obsolete or incorrect, or not as optimal as modern ideology.

No offence, anyway.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #18782
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer

And let me make this caveat.... For serious bodybuilders, for people who considering competition or perhaps really serious about getting "huge".... Then I can see protein supplements as if nothing else a bit more efficient.
But for the 90% of folks who are not in that league, who are just trying to gain a little muscle or perhaps like those young lads who want "chest and biceps" in the hope of attracting all those girls (a forlorn hope... But hope springs eternal).... Utterly unnecessary.
Your body is adapted by millions of years of evolution to extract nutrients from food.

For serious body building you need steroids, not protein supplements.

There's a reason guys who are on serious bulks eat 5-6000 calories a day, because they need it. Protein supplements are an easy way to hit dietary targets without the need for even more food.

Plus there's the advantage that the protein in shakes is absorbed faster than that from food and is therefore good post workout.

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #18783
NewDayHappy

I remember when I was in tip top shape I ate about 280g of protein a day at 223lbs. I noticed significant gains from when I was eating just 1g of protein per lbs before. I'm a fast gainer, I put on muscle faster then hell, but the only downside to that is I put on fat quickly as well. I put on 62lbs when I stopped working out.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #18784
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy
I remember when I was in tip top shape I ate about 280g of protein a day at 223lbs. I noticed significant gains from when I was eating just 1g of protein per lbs before. I'm a fast gainer, I put on muscle faster then hell, but the only downside to that is I put on fat quickly as well. I put on 62lbs when I stopped working out.

Were you using whey protein at the time?

Because in order for you to get the same protein from beef, you would need to eat 3.5lbs a day, which if you get it for cheap, is like $10 on beef a day for ground hamburger.

I just turned 3lbs of Chuck Roast into Chuck Steak for myself and my 2 housemates, and eating a pound of steak only gave me 80g of protein for $5. Whey protein is just so much more convenient than trying to eat that much beef, while also being considerably cheaper.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #18785
NewDayHappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Is Brutal
Were you using whey protein at the time?

Because in order for you to get the same protein from beef, you would need to eat 3.5lbs a day, which if you get it for cheap, is like $10 on beef a day for ground hamburger.

I just turned 3lbs of Chuck Roast into Chuck Steak for myself and my 2 housemates, and eating a pound of steak only gave me 80g of protein for $5. Whey protein is just so much more convenient than trying to eat that much beef, while also being considerably cheaper.

I'd say 80% of my protein came from whole foods, I ate lots of chicken and ground beef. I probably spent close to $400 a month on groceries. At first about 50% of my protein came from Whey protein, but if you have the money, whole foods will give you way better results.

Now I've wised up, I buy 6lbs bags of chicken at Sam's club for $13 and I get 4lbs bags of tilapia for $12 at Walmart. I bought 60 1/3lbs burgers at Sam's for $40 the other day.

Right now I'm getting about 200g of protein on the days I work out, 75% of that is from whole foods.

Meal 1: 2 burgers with a bag of mixed vegetables. 60g of protein.

Meal 2: 3 Tilapia Filets. 69g of protein,

Meal 3: 3 more Tilapia filets. 69g of protein.

Post workout: 2 scoops of Gold Standard Whey (love this stuff) with an apple. 50g of protein.

That's 250g of protein easy with only 4 meals.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #18786
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
At first about 50% of my protein came from Whey protein, but if you have the money, whole foods will give you way better results.

While it was delicious, being able to spend $5 on "Steak" was almost a luxury tonight.

I try and keep my grocery bill to less than $100 a month, but even that is really hard. At least I'll be starting on a huge cut in September, so I won't have to worry about eating for awhile.
Old Today, 12:22 AM   #18787
TSmitty6
In the traphouse

6 Wal-Mart tilapia filets a day seems sketchy to me.
Old Today, 02:38 AM   #18788
heavyairship
'uckin with your shi'

I've got a health problem I need your guys's help with. I started doing a new ab routine, one minute of planks, one minute of sit ups, one minute of planks, one minute of lying leg raises, one minute of planks, and one minute of bicycle kicks, no rest inbetween. I did it about 4 times in 5 days and after the second or third day I noticed my left hip was quite sore when I walked. There was pain in the joint area and I figured it must be because of the new routine. I've been resting for two weeks to heal and I've only done a couple of mild exercises since then but my hip hasn't gotten any better.

It usually only hurts when I stand up after sitting for a little while, it only hurts when I walk not when I do any exercises, it doesn't hurt as much when I'm wearing shoes. I don't think I've ever had an injury like this before. It feels like a strained muscle but it's not getting better and like I said it only hurts when I walk. Any ideas?

You used to be alright
What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
heavyairship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #18789
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Have you been doing any stretching? What part of the hip is hurting?
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:15 AM   #18790
Baby Joel
Not who I want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSmitty6
6 Wal-Mart tilapia filets a day seems sketchy to me.

I agree. Something about it is very fishy.
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #18791
heavyairship
'uckin with your shi'

I've done some stretching but it didn't seem to do anything. It's a bit tricky to pinpoint the pain but it feels like it's my hip abductor right on top of the joint, the bit that bulges out when you put all of your weight on one leg. There's no pain when I stretch, only when I walk after sitting down for a bit.

You used to be alright
What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
heavyairship is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: