Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
tall011

really simple question

http://web.mit.edu/gcollver/www/GCJ.../3rd_string.pdf

for "Ex. 6", since the f is sharped, does that mean all other fs are sharped too? the "top" f is sharped but the "bottom" one isnt..... i'm assuming they're both made sharped even if only one is marked so, but i cant remember
tall011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac

Yah, all Fs are sharped in that instance.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
stealthpumpkin

Yes, the key signature is that first part of the line. The first part (the big S) signifies you are in treble clef, the next part tells you the time signature, Since there is nothing there, you can assume it's in standard time 4/4 which means you go "1, 2, 3, 4; 1, 2, 3, 4". After that you have the sharps and flats, this tells you what key the piece is in; meaning that those sharp notes, or those flat notes will be consistent throughout the song. The only exception is when a sharp, flat, or natural is explicitly stated before a note begins.
stealthpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthpumpkin
.The only exception is when a sharp, flat, or natural is explicitly stated before a note begins.
I think an "incidental" sharp or flat, holds true for an entire measure. So, if say a "C" was marked sharp, if a "C" occurred within the same measure it would be sharp also. If you wanted a natural C within the same measure, you would need to put a "natural sign in front of it.

You might want to check on that, as it's been quite a while since I studied music....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
stealthpumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I think an "incidental" sharp or flat, holds true for an entire measure. So, if say a "C" was marked sharp, if a "C" occurred within the same measure it would be sharp also. If you wanted a natural C within the same measure, you would need to put a "natural sign in front of it.

You might want to check on that, as it's been quite a while since I studied music....

It's called an accidental, yes they do hold throughout a bar.
stealthpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: