Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #11941
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

I use 10-47 on my acoustic, 9-42 or 9-46 on strats and I'm still working on my 7 string but it will def be 9-something
-Ed- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #11942
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
You know, first thing that came into my mind was "maybe you should ask for a tracking number".

I got my money back a year and five days ago. Damn I'm glad that's over and done with. That was a shit time.

Yea, that whole thing was undoubtedly fishy...

Was that Kossoff on finance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : Yesterday at 06:43 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #11943
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Luckily not.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #11944
2Crosser
Unregistered user

Talking

Wow, you guys really need to fill me in on your previous conversations, what is going on with the fishy “money back" now? Sorry, I just do not get what this is all about. Is it still about the Tokai (are you guys the ones who made “Brokai" up)?

@Izzy I see your profile status: you are not the only one anymore, I am a rhythm guitarist too!
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Greg's a militant vegan. He'll **** someone up for saying 'nice to meat you'.
2Crosser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #11945
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

//waves at izzy //

Hey Phil - which FRFR do you have?
Old Today, 04:33 AM   #11946
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

So when are you gonna learn how to play lead?

Matrix FR212 with 16 ohm impedance.

Quote:

Old Today, 04:51 AM   #11947
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

£750!!

I think I'll stick with plan A for now a pair of yamaha hs5/7 or 8's depending on cash at the time.

I've decided to sell my gear and go down the kemper route. I'll prob keep my cab (due to its awesomeness) and either the IRT or DSL1

Last edited by -Ed- : Today at 04:54 AM.
Old Today, 04:52 AM   #11948
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
Luckily not.

You definitely said it was on finance mate. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ed-
£750!!!!!

I think I'll stick with plan A for now a pair of yamaha hs5/7 or 8's depending on cash at the time.

I've decided to sell my gear and go down the kemper route. I'll prob keep my cab (due to its awesomeness) and either the IRT or DSL1

Yea. I got it for around £500 because they upgraded me. You could try the Q12 from them. Lots like that, or the Atomic CLR, but I had poor customer service from them.

I bought some KRK Rokits the other day which sound pretty great, £250 for a pair.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : Today at 04:55 AM.
Old Today, 04:54 AM   #11949
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

Phil - is your cab passive or active?
Old Today, 04:57 AM   #11950
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

The cab is passive because I have the powerhead version.

I have active speakers but I don't use the main output with the Rokits, you need to use the XLR out.

Are you seriously considering it now? If you are, and when/if you get it, I'll give you a load of info on what to do and how not to blow it up!

Quote:

Old Today, 05:26 AM   #11951
2Crosser
Unregistered user

Cool

Quote:
So when are you gonna learn how to play lead?

I started off as a lead guitarist, my first stage performance a year and a half ago I played lead, and have been until I bought my electric. Then I realized I sound better playing power chords at massive distortion
Quote:
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #11952
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

Yes mate - need to sell some kit first (keep the management happy), and def after I move if not before.
Because I'm not gigging (likely I never will), I'm prob going to go unpowered to make the most of the cab profiling. For this reason I think a decent set of monitors will do (hence yamaha or rokit - nothing too flash).
If I did then gig I would either use an amp and cab or buy a power amp or powered FRFR wedge etc.

I'm prob also going for the toaster rather than the rack as it has more knobs
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #11953
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Crosser
I started off as a lead guitarist, my first stage performance a year and a half ago I played lead, and have been until I bought my electric. Then I realized I sound better playing power chords at massive distortion

Learn loads of lead and you'll get there. The guitar is a lead instrument, saying you're a rhythm guitarist just means you can't play lead and makes people think you're not very good. So get to it, Skippy!

Ed.

Why would unpowered make a difference in the cab profiling? Cabs are dependant on whether you use a FRFR speaker or a normal one.

Quote:

Old Today, 05:54 AM   #11954
2Crosser
Unregistered user

Red face

Quote:
Learn loads of lead and you'll get there. The guitar is a lead instrument, saying you're a rhythm guitarist just means you can't play lead and makes people think you're not very good. So get to it, Skippy!

No, to some not very much so. The music I listen to (and just like anyone else am inspired by) the guitar is the main rhythm instrument, while lead is done by vocals and/or a synthesizer/keyboard. I also said I switched, I USED to be like everyone else here. But I do not think Izzy or I are ready to get into the "rhythm versus lead" debate. Sure, my lead friends get more attention and appraisal than myself or my one rhythm friend, but who cares about what people think if you truly believe you sound great? I do not.

P.S. There is a very good old saying I know that very much applies here: " 'People' care about what 'people' think." Get it? XD
Quote:
Old Today, 06:01 AM   #11955
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

I was thinking in terms of powered into a regular cab. The powered version is £450 more plus a cab like yours at £750

I could get the unpowered for £1350 and a set of hs8s for £430.

That's what I was thinking

Because this is for home noodleage, I don't see the point in spending the extra on a power amp I prob won't need.

A Kemper in itself for is very frivolous - a Kemper and power amp and FRFR passive cab is madness I tell thee!
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #11956
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Crosser
No, to some not very much so. The music I listen to (and just like anyone else am inspired by) the guitar is the main rhythm instrument, while lead is done by vocals and/or a synthesizer/keyboard. I also said I switched, I USED to be like everyone else here. But I do not think Izzy or I are ready to get into the "rhythm versus lead" debate. Sure, my lead friends get more attention and appraisal than myself or my one rhythm friend, but who cares about what people think if you truly believe you sound great? I do not.

P.S. There is a very good old saying I know that very much applies here: " 'People' care about what 'people' think." Get it? XD

The guitar is a lead instrument, whether you use it in a basic capacity and mainly play power chords doesn't change that. Lead or rhythm guitarist is a role in a band, not a definition of a guitarist, it's a limitation that someone puts on themselves, but not a definition because there's no such thing. When does rhythm start being lead and vice versa?

Hendrix/SRV are prime examples of guitarists who played guitar and weren't defined by these roles. Besides, you've been playing for only a few years, you're still very much finding yourself as a guitarist and shouldn't limit yourself like that as you're very much in the beginning stages of your lifelong career. I mean, I've played 20 years and I've only really felt that I've started to write songs that I really liked in the last 2 years.

You play for yourself, that's fine, but I try to sound good so that others will enjoy what they're hearing. I like how I sound, but I also like that others compliment me on my sound. Thinking you sound 'great' when you may well sound like shit and when everyone is telling you so would be the worst thing when you want to play to people. You need people to like what you play, and that means striving to get to what they want to hear, whether they know what that is, or don't know yet. That's by using tried and tested methods or by pushing the boundaries. Some will succeed, most will fail.

Besides, that's a bold statement, and you should always be striving for better tone. If you sound great when using a Smart III you must be doing something amazing, but I'm sceptical, it's from a starter park. Not to put a downer on it or anything, but they rarely sound great.

Izzy plays more lead now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ed-
I was thinking in terms of powered into a regular cab. The powered version is £450 more plus a cab like yours at £750

I could get the unpowered for £1350 and a set of hs8s for £430.

That's what I was thinking

Because this is for home noodleage, I don't see the point in spending the extra on a power amp I prob won't need.

A Kemper in itself for is very frivolous - a Kemper and power amp and FRFR passive cab is madness I tell thee!

Ah I see. You could try and go used.

I'm pretty confident that Kempers and Axe's will be the 59 Bassman, Twin etc of the future. They're in short supply, are the pinnacle of digital software and will have all the profiles you could hope for. I mean, the availability of Trainwrecks will be pretty limited even in 10 years, confined to the vaults of collectors and museums, the only way to play them will be through modellers, and the future ones might be profiled through things like original Kempers, meaning the purest tone will only be available through the original modeller.

I'll never sell it, I'm pretty sure it'll increase in value in years to come.

Quote:

Old Today, 10:11 AM   #11957
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Here's he deal with the Kemper. It's awesome, it's great, but it can be a bit difficult.

Like, I'm playing at home and it sounds great, I get to practice and it doesn't sound great because of the acoustics of the room and stuff. So you gotta mess around and EQ. It's the same for sound checking. It's okay, but it can be tiresome and you'll find that sounds different in different areas. I'm still learning so I'm gonna keep my Orange until I'm a lot more versed with it.

It's great for recording too. I'm gonna bring the Orange to practice from now on I think.

Quote:

Old Today, 10:56 AM   #11958
2Crosser
Unregistered user

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
The guitar is a lead instrument, whether you use it in a basic capacity and mainly play power chords doesn't change that. Lead or rhythm guitarist is a role in a band, not a definition of a guitarist, it's a limitation that someone puts on themselves, but not a definition because there's no such thing. When does rhythm start being lead and vice versa?

Hendrix/SRV are prime examples of guitarists who played guitar and weren't defined by these roles. Besides, you've been playing for only a few years, you're still very much finding yourself as a guitarist and shouldn't limit yourself like that as you're very much in the beginning stages of your lifelong career. I mean, I've played 20 years and I've only really felt that I've started to write songs that I really liked in the last 2 years.

You play for yourself, that's fine, but I try to sound good so that others will enjoy what they're hearing. I like how I sound, but I also like that others compliment me on my sound. Thinking you sound 'great' when you may well sound like shit and when everyone is telling you so would be the worst thing when you want to play to people. You need people to like what you play, and that means striving to get to what they want to hear, whether they know what that is, or don't know yet. That's by using tried and tested methods or by pushing the boundaries. Some will succeed, most will fail.

Besides, that's a bold statement, and you should always be striving for better tone. If you sound great when using a Smart III you must be doing something amazing, but I'm sceptical, it's from a starter park. Not to put a downer on it or anything, but they rarely sound great.

Izzy plays more lead now.

Woah there, holy moly that took a while to read. Anyway, I would not say I sound 'great' at home with my Smart III, but I can do some good stuff with better amplifiers. How do I know? Others compliment me. But the thing is, that fact only comes up when I have a debate such as this one, as in, I do not care what others think of my playing (or anything, really) as I am here only to enjoy myself. If someone does not like something I play, I would ask for constructive feedback, and not force them to listen in any way.

Also, that power chord thingy was an old running joke... I can play some solos too, not all, but I can do lead to a certain extent. Rhythm is just my preference, because as I said, my inspirations have a 'secondary', non - lead roles on the guitar if you want to put it that way. I am also much better at keeping a song's 'feel' and beat/tempo than I am at conveying the melody. It is important to say that I am primarily an acoustic player, and with an acoustic guitar, you pretty much play chords in a certain pattern and you sing to it, and that is considered a song. I do admit though that acoustic shredders do exist.

Lastly, I will say I play a large variety of music. Hell, I made a thread about new amp recommendations on here (which died before any constructive suggestions came up), and I said that I play from 'soul' blues/jazz lead to modern death metal rhythm, which is true. So really, I have just stated my preference. But, since everything in the guitar world is subjective opinion, my signature stands true

P.S. (I am not being a grammar Nazi or anything) Could you please show me where this beginner park is? I would very much love to visit.
Quote:

Rate This Thread: