User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #81
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
This is ****ing weird. If NASA is so on top of tracking all of these things, why was there no warning?

It's actually really hard to track all meteorites in space coming towards earth. Thousands of them of all shapes and sizes traveling at various speeds pass by the earth every day and a lot actually enter the atmosphere only to burn up and turn into dust and steam and plasma.

People think it's just like tracking missiles; plug in some computers and some radar stuff and all the sudden you have an instant live map of everything coming at the earth. Not that simple, not that easy.

Also, it's quite possible that it was detected just before it entered the atmosphere but it was traveling at like 50,000km an hour or something. So basically by the time you've detected it, you have like 3.5 seconds to let people know.

There's also the fact that most that are detected pose little risk and scientists often don't raise alarms because we depend greatly on our atmosphere to protect us. Our atmosphere prevents thousands of pieces of space debris and meteorites and such from constantly crashing to earth and killing people at random. Without it, our population would probably be significantly lower than what it is. Basically when a meteorite (meteor/meteorite, I forget the difference) comes, IF it's detected, IF they even have the chance to alert people (also, IF we can even do something about it, besides pray for luck), we count on our protective atmosphere to act as a resistive force and make it blow up into nothingness and make a huge awesome air burst like they had in Russia.

Last edited by metalblaster : 02-15-2013 at 03:35 PM.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #82
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
Wait wait wait, so did it actually make impact? And what causes the boom? The impact?

I don't think there was an impact. But now they're saying they found a hole in the ice somewhere. It's possible a chunk did survive the air burst and flew off. The air burst causes the boom. It slows down so fast and collects so much heat that it literally gets incinerated in a fraction of a second, and all that material gets vaporized.

Had there been an impact on land, it probably would've also created a boom.

I'm really not sure about the impact though. Usually they make huge craters just from the shockwave of the air burst but they rarely hit the ground.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #83
donender
Get back to work

The noise it made is ****ing scary, i bet they thought they were getting bombed at first.

As for how it broke up, apparently it fell apart in the atmosphere.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #84
VillainousLatin
That Latino Guy

That was ****ing terrifying, I would have shat my pants...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #85
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
I don't think there was an impact. But now they're saying they found a hole in the ice somewhere. It's possible a chunk did survive the air burst and flew off. The air burst causes the boom. It slows down so fast and collects so much heat that it literally gets incinerated in a fraction of a second, and all that material gets vaporized.

Had there been an impact on land, it probably would've also created a boom.

I'm really not sure about the impact though. Usually they make huge craters just from the shockwave of the air burst but they rarely hit the ground.

Actually they hit the ground (or at least the water) on a very regular basis, but most are small enough to do no real damage.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #86
eGraham
Artists are crooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
I don't zinc they saw that one coming.

More people need to notice this

April 23, 2014.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #87
DeadlyIllness
UG Member

Quote:
The one that everyone is making such a big deal out of will pass over Australia and Indonesia, yet they've made a big show about how that one poses no real danger.

Because, in Soviet Russia, Russia crashed into Meteor!
DeadlyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #88
Jostry
UG Member

Quote:
This is ****ing weird. If NASA is so on top of tracking all of these things, why was there no warning?

Could be for a number of reasons... Maybe they knew it wouldn't cause too much damage, and knew it wouldn't make impact anywhere with people, so they didn't wanna cause panic ahead of time.

Or because it was too small and it came from the suns direction so it was too hard to see it, which is their current explanation.
Jostry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #89
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy
27,000 km, which is closer than the Moon. You can see it with binoculars!
It must have been known about this. I'm surprised that the media didn't turn this into an another apocalypse.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #90
Sampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guodlca
It must have been known about this. I'm surprised that the media didn't turn this into an another apocalypse.

Que?
It was really quite well known.

After it was confirmed that it wouldn't hit us I think the media dropped it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #91
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy
Que?
It was really quite well known.

After it was confirmed that it wouldn't hit us I think the media dropped it.
Well, does scientists confirming it really stop the media from doing it?

You know, the 21. 12. 2012 and shizz?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #92
flxjhnlrssn
My name is Felix

The sky is big guys, can't see everything that fall out of it. What NASA is trying to track is all the big actually dangerous things, like the big one that pass(ed?) really close to earth. The russian one had nothing to do with that one though.

This one is actually pretty small, and the only reason that it did as much damage as it did is because it came down close to a quite populated area.

Bigger ones can do some nasty stuff, like killing (almost) all dinosaurs and stuff like that.

Get in here: UG Tinychat (pw: UGFTW (if there is any))

You play Minecraft? Check out this thread.
flxjhnlrssn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: