Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Tarbosh
accly was dolan

Of All Losses (Progressive metal) [GP5, C4C]

Back again with another song I've written over the past few months. I think I started work on this one in September, but I don't even remember exactly. I came up with the first couple riffs on guitar and just got to work.

I put it away for quite a while and came back to it the past week or so and finished it up. I guess that's pretty much how I write everything ever. Start it, leave it, come back to it, finish it. But I digress.

Not exactly sure what my influences here were, I didn't really think about it as I was writing. I just kind of went with it, hopefully it's ok.

Criticisms will be returned and are of course very much appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Of All Losses.zip (26.4 KB, 271 views)
Tarbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Ometh
nobody

I miss'd you brah ;_;

I shall check out this as soon as I can
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Tarbosh
accly was dolan

I know, I've just been on such a dry spell with writing lately I haven't really been around the forums.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

I really want to listen to it, but I r having virus scan and something is making all my downloads fail.

turbrush plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Tarbosh
accly was dolan

^ It's so shitty your computer is trying to protect your ears from it.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
guitar_jew

I dig it, for the most part, just a few mild criticisms, after my second listen through.

The first few bars sounded gross until the melody came in to give it direction. First riff is excellent, I can tell working with RedDeath has hugely influenced the way you write melodies in GP (lots of attention to detail with the bends and vibrato), or the other way around, who knows? I like, either way,

The change to the thrashy part at 57 was just off-putting, and it doesn't work for me, personally. The fusiony part before and the thrash itself are great, but they need a stronger transition, imo. Going back to the exotic fusiony sound though worked great.

88-89 and its repetitions REALLY reminded me of a motif from 'Standing Before the Precipice.' You probably know which one I'm talking about.

The acoustic bit in the middle here. Couple things. First, it feels very directionless within itself- I can't make any distinct melody out, just a bunch of sounds that are roughly in good harmony with each other. It isn't atmospheric to me, just confusing. And the sudden change to triplets at 122 was unpleasantly jarring- I think having some soft drums might give you something to smooth that out a bit with.

When the drums pick back up, the piece feels good again. The 60 bars of near-pointlessness are my big complaint for this work, really. I know you wanted to have a long bridge to space out the repetition of your previous ideas, but this one just didn't work.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1566286

I think you critted an earlier version of the first song, but the rest should be new for you, thanks!
guitar_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Damn, I see why you and RedDeath do collabs, dis is gold

I really admire you two when it comes to this sort of songwriting, my shit aint anywhere near this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Damn it all, I ****ing quit.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar