Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
00_hns_00
UG Addict

point of a bass pickup in the sweet-spot.

anywho, i was off building a bass on warmoth.com, and ran across a option for a musicman in the "sweet spot".

what is the sweetspot, and why would putting a pickup there be good?

i was thinking a single coil in the neck position, and a musicman in the bridge, or maybe sweetspot. it really depends on wtf a sweetspot is.

sorry for the noobish question. i know acoustics, not basses real well.
00_hns_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
loinmute
U.G's Wookie

for a MM style config, the sweet spot is below center towards the bridge. It is subjective as some bassists will swear by a soapbar flush to the fretboard like Oakley. Different guitars and pickups-different sweet spots

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
loinmute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
00_hns_00
UG Addict

ahh, i see. thanks for explaining.

i found an article as well about pickup placement, so i think i've decided on a mm in the sweetspot, a single coil close to the neck, and a jazz pickup inbetween.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
the_perdestrian
UG's insomiac

the sweet spot is where a p bass pickup goes for the most part. maybe a litle closer to the bridge.

if your gonna go with 3 pickups you should have something in the bridge position.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
00_hns_00
UG Addict

a mm in the bridge would give more punch than a jazz right?

i was at one point considering three precision pickups. mostly cause i want a really diverse and articulate tone.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
Phil Starr

When a string vibrates it will do so at a number of frequencies. The fundamental has the whole string vibrating the string will also bend in the middle so it vibrates in two halves and it will vibrate in thirds quarters etc. to create all the harmonics. If you pluck a bass string you can see this happening. If you look very carefully at the 12th fret you will see the string seems to stop and start vibrating every so often.

The further you move up the string with a pup the more of the fundamental you will get and you will also emphasize some harmonics and lose others. The 'sweet spot' is simply where the designer thinks the best sound balance is captured. Having a single pup also allows you to spend more on it.

If you have two pup's then you don't usually have space to put them on the spot. Because they pick up the string at different parts of its vibration they wont be in phase and some sound will cancel. You won't get an 'average' sound you'll get some frequencies sucked out.

You have to decide what you want, a single sweet sound or versatility. You could put the pup on a slider!
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
BlueTalon

The "Sweet Spot" is really nothing more than a marketing ploy. MusicMan has their sweet spot, the P-bass has its own sweet spot, and it's arbitrary. Phil Starr is right, it is just where a manufacturer decides where the best balance of sound is captured. And pickup placement certainly matters in determining the overall sound you will get. But there is no single sweet spot.

But whatever you do, don't pay any attention to phase cancellation. The effect is negligible, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it if you wanted to. Phil Starr is correct again when he says two pickups will have some phase cancellation. But that's also true of a single pickup with two coils. And no matter when you put your pickups, the phase cancellation will change as soon as you start using your frets. As you move up and down the fretboard, you are constantly changing the relationships of the string vibrations relative to the pickup locations.

The only way to avoid phase cancellation is to use one single-coil pickup. Some people like that sound, but it comes at a cost -- single-coil noise, and no tone flexibility.

Bottom line -- if you want to use only one MusicMan pickup, you might as well have Warmoth route it for the "sweet spot" since it isn't going to hurt anything. Personally, I would want two pickups because I'd rather have the different tones available, but that's just me.
BlueTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

It's all just a waste of time. The nodes and antinodes of the string's vibration are tiny, and the magnetic field of your musicman pickup will bridge them no problem. Plus they will just move around as soon as you fret a note.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: