Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHappyCamper
Well the singing sounded kinda bad and it you could tell it was loud (either the amp was clipping or the camera mic was), so if he really told him to move "4 times", then it's alright


So you think it's fine if someone physically threatens someone for being an annoyance and makes them feel like shit? He should have called the Police or the council, or been the bigger man and moved.

Did you see how the guy looked after? He was humiliated, he looked devastated, it was too much.

He should be an adult and not an idiot who thinks it's fine to resort to threatening behaviour to sort out his minor and trivial problems.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
OneHappyCamper
Registered User
 
OneHappyCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Swamp
Again, I am operating under the presumption that he did ask him a few times prior (even though that is likely not the case).

So he asked him multiple times without making him "feel like shit" (since he's obviously still singing), and the guy couldn't even turn it down a bit?

Shouting at him is fair game then.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
OneHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
 
King Of Suede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hatboro, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
So you think it's fine if someone physically threatens someone for being an annoyance and makes them feel like shit? He should have called the Police or the council, or been the bigger man and moved.

Did you see how the guy looked after? He was humiliated, he looked devastated, it was too much.

He should be an adult and not an idiot who thinks it's fine to resort to threatening behaviour to sort out his minor and trivial problems.


Minor and trivial because this busker with a laptop and amplifier threatens the other man's chances of busking in the city?
In major cities, there are strict busking rules and you must have a license and time-slots are allotted in certain areas. There is a busking community and they work things out. Many times busking is these people's only income. As said in the article, the council of the city and the shopkeepers allow this and reserve the right to take it away and say "No, we don't want buskers within earshot of our stores." thus taking away high traffic areas and major income for people trying to earn a living.

It seems like this "disabled" person is creating issues CONSTANTLY for these people and the guy in the video was the only one with the balls to say something. Sure he got out of hand. Sure, it was hurtful. But I don't care if you're disabled or what, it doesn't allow you to bypass the rules in place for other honest people.

He SHOULD have felt bad and embarrassed because through his arrogance and complete disregard for the system in place, he jeopardized probably about 100 people's jobs in the city.

I have no sympathy for our little Karaoke star.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
CoreysMonster
Banned
 
CoreysMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Don't they have policemen in Bath?

Instead of making a fool of himself, he could have just found a cop and told him about it.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
Minor and trivial because this busker with a laptop and amplifier threatens the other man's chances of busking in the city?
In major cities, there are strict busking rules and you must have a license and time-slots are allotted in certain areas. There is a busking community and they work things out. Many times busking is these people's only income. As said in the article, the council of the city and the shopkeepers allow this and reserve the right to take it away and say "No, we don't want buskers within earshot of our stores." thus taking away high traffic areas and major income for people trying to earn a living.

It seems like this "disabled" person is creating issues CONSTANTLY for these people and the guy in the video was the only one with the balls to say something. Sure he got out of hand. Sure, it was hurtful. But I don't care if you're disabled or what, it doesn't allow you to bypass the rules in place for other honest people.

He SHOULD have felt bad and embarrassed because through his arrogance and complete disregard for the system in place, he jeopardized probably about 100 people's jobs in the city.

I have no sympathy for our little Karaoke star.


+1
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
You don't know any of this, it's all speculation. It might have been his first time there, it might not have been. He might have been told many times to stop but that guy doesn't have a Monopoly and the kid can sing where ever he wants, why is he the boss? How do you know if anyone would have cared? The accused has given his version of events but it's all very one sided at the moment.

All I have seen is someone behaving unacceptably towards another person in a way that's physically threatening. It wasn't just him having a go he was pretty aggressive to the point where he can be prosecuted for harassment and threatening behaviour.

It's not his job to threaten someone, it's trivial because if he would have called the Police and told them that this guy is purposefully disrupting the area they may well have come down because that's called disturbing the peace. Yes, it applies. Perhaps he could have moved because again, he works on the street and doesn't own that spot.

If he had told the guy many times that it's not cool, I can see why you'd get upset, but I don't agree with that behaviour because it's not his street and it;s barbaric. The Police will sort that out. He should talk to the guy and if the guy doesn't agree it's out of his hands and he has to lump it. Income or not you share the street with the public and if someone shit comes along you don't have the right to scream at them and threaten them until they go away, that's called bullying and look at the attention it's got him.

If you are allowed to go and busk somewhere then you be allowed to, your critics are your audience. What if he is disabled, what if he gets loads of confidence from it, what if it's something he can do to escape any troubles he may have, disabled or not? Now he's banished and humiliated because Napolean has declared so.

I don't know if he is disabled or not, I wont start using quotations like a tabloid newspaper to question its validity though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 07-02-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
 
King Of Suede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hatboro, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
You don't know any of this, it's all speculation. It might have been his first time there, it might not have been. He might have been told many times to stop but that guy doesn't have a Monopoly and the kid can sing where ever he wants, why is he the boss? How do you know if anyone would have cared? The accused has given his version of events but it's all very one sided at the moment.

This article was posted on the previous page:
http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Vide...tail/story.html

I suggest you read it because it more than likely points the truth out of this isolated situation you're viewing in the video. Everything looks worse when you look at it through a peep hole rather than seeing the entire scene.
No, the guy doesn't have a monopoly but you have to understand these buskers are like a union of sorts and they all work together to make sure people get equal share of the allotted times and spaces. So you see: No, the kid can't sing wherever he wants because maybe Mrs. Jones like buskers outside of her bakery, but Mr. Clementine doesn't like them outside of his Coffee shop. Well then if a busker who isn't part of the entrusted group or have a license (which again, is required in almost all major cities if you want to perform on the street for personal gain) then it puts a strain on the entire system and it's very easy for authorities to say "The shopkeepers in this area have been complaining about people playing outside of allotted zones so there will be no busking in this district, all those unwilling to comply will be prosecuted." And boom, Karaoke Star just ****ed hundreds of honest people who relied on those high traffic areas to make a living doing what they love.

Quote:
All I have seen is someone behaving unacceptably towards another person in a way that's physically threatening. It wasn't just him having a go he was pretty aggressive to the point where he can be prosecuted for harassment and threatening behaviour.

Sure, there were better ways to go about it but don't tell me you've never lost your temper before. Let alone if you're performing an art which you've practiced for countless hours to have some twit with a boombox simply turn a knob and discount all the effort you've put in to put on a decent show... Anyone with any self-worth would lose their minds! I don't care if the person is disabled. I don't care if it's cute. I don't care if he's being out-going dispite his issues. He's interfering with other people's livelyhoods, their art, and their passion. If you don't understand why someone would get that aggressive about someone else ruining what they love doing through their own arrogance then you've never truely loved anything and will not understand where this man is coming from when he candidly says a few hurtful words.

Quote:
It's not his job to threaten someone, it's trivial because if he would have called the Police and told them that this guy is purposefully disrupting the area they may well have come down because that's called disturbing the peace. Yes, it applies. Perhaps he could have moved because again, he works on the street and doesn't own that spot.

Once again you're displaying your arrogance towards the situation that buskers put themselves in. I've said it before, but you can not up and move to another spot because chances are:
1. That spot is taken by someone else during a time-frame in the near future
2. Time-frames in specified spots are claimed by buskers and it is a huuuuuge insult to take someone else's spot during the time they are allotted to perform there.

Yes, he could have phoned police, but chances are by the time they show up and deal with the situation, his time in his spot will probably be up. Much more time effective to go and ask the person himself to leave. Either way, we would have had a video of something happening to this person. Either he's getting yelled at the by the big mean classical guitar player, or he's being senselessly harrassed by police officers when the boy was doing "nothing wrong." There was no winning in this situation for any party but the pity party.

Quote:
If he had told the guy many times that it's not cool, I can see why you'd get upset, but I don't agree with that behaviour because it's not his street and it;s barbaric. The Police will sort that out. He should talk to the guy and if the guy doesn't agree it's out of his hands and he has to lump it. Income or not you share the street with the public and if someone shit comes along you don't have the right to scream at them and threaten them until they go away, that's called bullying and look at the attention it's got him.

Read EVERYTHING I've posted in this thread again.

Quote:
If you are allowed to go and busk somewhere then you be allowed to, your critics are your audience. What if he is disabled, what if he gets loads of confidence from it, what if it's something he can do to escape any troubles he may have, disabled or not? Now he's banished and humiliated because Napolean has declared so.

I don't know if he is disabled or not, I wont start using quotations like a tabloid newspaper to question its validity though.

Now read it again.

Sorry, not sorry for the wall of text. But I've had to deal with and know many friends who have had to deal with this system and its a drag but its the way it is. There are good people who busk who are generally nice people, and there are tyrants.
This guy may be a tyrant but in this isolated circumstance, IMO he was all the way right to yell and scream and be mean.


EDIT:
video in OP was taken down, for those still wondering, this is the video:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol

Last edited by King Of Suede : 07-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #28
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Sorry, mate. I don't agree. I don't think that you have a monopoly on the street.

I don't think that because someone is shit that means you have the right as a fellow performer to silence them. It's up to the audience to do that. You can ask them, but that's it. Occupational hazard. If you share your stage with lots of people you will get upstaged or have to share your platform.

It's good if they operate as a union, but that doesn't mean they have a monopoly. Just because they've set out their own rules it doesn't mean that someone who isn't with them has to immediately obey those opinions.

I feel that you're missing the fact that they aren't the Police, and if someone isn't following the rules then they should call the Police.

Saying all that, and I did mention that we have the guys account, the kid should have been considerate to the rules. They are there to make sure that everything goes smoothly and they all maximise their profit making opportunities. But again, if someone doesn't agree with their rules I just feel that they have to accept it or explain the situation to the Police.

Yes, I've lost my temper, but I've never in my adult life spoken to anyone like that. Never. And I've never threatened someone like that, and especially not someone who may or may not be disabled.

Here's a quote from the head of the busking association, ASAP. It seems like they are in agreement with me.

Quote:
However, Jonny Walker – founding director of the Association of Street Artists and Performers – spoke out against the actions of the older busker yesterday.
Mr Walker’s ASAP organisation tries to build positive relationships between local authorities and performers.

'Bath, a beautiful city, is in danger of becoming a protection racket where a small group of buskers dominate public space and try to push other people out.'
- Campaigner Jonny Walker

He said: 'Gary Millhouse is said to have apologised for his actions but his words seem like an attempt to justify his behaviour by accusing the other busker of playing on an unlicensed pitch and being "too loud".

'This is a total non-apology in my view and is an example of what happens when a group of buskers try to cosy up to a local authority and gang up on other performers.

'Bath, a beautiful city, is in danger of becoming a protection racket where a small group of buskers dominate public space and try to push other people out.

'Gary, you need to give this man a genuine apology and learn to share space with him, and not attempt to justify your bullying behaviour.'

'Public space belongs to everybody and he shouldn't come under threat from other buskers. He's not breaking any law or causing harm.'


He doesn't get to decide who can play where, he's a bully.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 07-03-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #29
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
 
Zoot Allures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Typical of the cunts in this country. I wonder if he feels the same way about massive billboard advertising or people talking on their phones louder, or loud traffic on roads, sure that stuff is totally okay because it has been paid for with a lot of money. Money makes everything okay in this society.

Apparently playing music in public now is unacceptable, yeah the busker guy is shit, but maybe that's all that keeps him from festering away at home. Who knows.

The only thing that pissed me off in the video is the **** in the hat though, regardless of what you think to the busker , threatening to beat him up is the only ****ed up thing going on here.
__________________
My fan club:
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/z...lures_fan_club/

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

My Blog:
http://jackoswritings.wordpress.com//

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.