Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #101
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah (though let's not start that "what's a superstrat?" thing again ). I hate it when people argue against a point you're not even making.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #102
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
Kirk Hammet used a Strat on Master of Puppets. Also, Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath uses SG's and most stoner metal bands use humbucker-equipped guitars, especially Gibson. I don't know of any stoner metal bands that use strats.

Dead Meadow. He's got some great Strat sounds.

By the way, loving the stoner metal love in this thread.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #103
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ oh i agree. i love led zep. I'm classifying the things because of the guitar tones and equipment required, rather than because i care less about what arcane subgenre music should fit into.

i've said countless times that when i say "strats aren't ideal for metal," i'm talking about vintage spec strats (i.e. no humbuckers). I'm well aware that if you put a humbucker into a strat (certainly a more modern-style strat with 22 frets, wider and flatter fretboard etc.) you suddenly have something that's not merely passable for metal, but actually really freaking good for it. Superstrats are awesome for metal.

well Lace Sensors are single coil and yet are good for metal there are a few othere single coiol pups that work well also. perhaps a better way to state this is vintage spec singles which admittedly aren't very good for metal. for the record neither of my strats havew vintage spec singles in them.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #104
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yep, agreed. I've been saying "vintage spec strats" (which implies low output, vintage-style single coils) thoughout the thread, lol. Not my fault if other people don't read my posts properly.

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #105
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

People put too much emphasis on pickups.

Tom Morellos Tele is stock, Johnny 5 has aftermarket pickups but hardly uses any gain. There's plenty of bands who rely a lot more on EQ than pickups, with proof from their onstage equipment and stock guitars.

Of course, if you want to nail someone's tone you'll need a certain type of pickup. But can you play lots of different types of metal on single coils? I think that you definitely can. Okay, you might not nail the tone, but you can get something that resembles it well with a good EQ unit, some delay and the right distortion and more importantly, the right amp.

People chuck EMGs into guitars way too quickly with the poles right on the strings. I think pickups have their uses but the highest output EMGS will sound similar in most guitars, you should try to maintain good clarity while achieving a fuller or more treble based tone with your amp and current equipment before you start messing with pickups that could be fine as they are for lots of situations.

I'm guilty of the above, but I've learned a hit more about EQ and have benefited from it.

That's just what I think in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-19-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #106
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

disagree

while i agree that a lot of people put the cart before the horse (getting new pickups when you still have a spider is admittedly silly), once you have a good amp pickups make a big difference. certainly if you're talking vintage output strat pickups versus metal-orientated humbuckers. the difference is night and day.

er....

Quote:
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #107
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea, I agree. You should really think about your other equipment before you start looking at the pickups. Then pickups start to really come into their own.

Lots of people get some great metal tones from a Strat and a Tele. I may have edited before you started, I apologise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-19-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #108
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries

yeah i mean when i say "good metal tones" i'd be the first to agree you don't need emgs. but i also wouldn't be using vintage output strat pickups either, kind of thing.

er....

Quote:

Rate This Thread: