Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
rabbittroopsux

help with matching descending intervals with songs.

i know this has been asked a lot, and i looked around before i came here. but im often not familiar with the song, or cant make out a clear use of the interval at all.

ive been singing intervals with my guitar, and can recognize ascending intervals quickly (asides from the minor sixth). the intervals that i recognize the quality of are the intervals that i originally associated with songs. i can often sing or imagine ascending intervals backwards. but thats not helping me feel the interval.

so i need songs to associate to descending intervals, and an ascending minor sixth. the more common the song, the more likely ingrained, the better.

Descending, i recognize a major third by "swing low", and i associate a minor second by "fur elise". those are the only two descending intervals i can feel out.

ill leave replies with which songs have helped, and which havent.

-ty

Last edited by rabbittroopsux : 01-07-2013 at 09:42 PM.
rabbittroopsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

*placeholder*

I'll edit in a bunch of songs into this post when I get back to my room.

EDIT: Oh damn, sorry for the wait. I wasn't able to track down the page, but I did find this website and it has many of the songs on it as well as a lot of other examples.
http://www.earmaster.com/intervalsongs/

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort

Last edited by rockingamer2 : 01-08-2013 at 10:09 PM.
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
rabbittroopsux

cool man. ill give that page a long look over, and post how well it went in a couple days or so.

tx

Last edited by rabbittroopsux : 01-09-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Descending 5ths

Every time he says "ba - by" in the chorus. Those two syllables are descending 5ths. It;s not Frank but the melody's still the same.

Last edited by mdc : 01-09-2013 at 03:30 AM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I advocate learning solfeggio over intervals. That's just me though. And Jesus.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
rabbittroopsux

okay, i went thru all the songs on the earmaster page. (and it was worth it just to see that Nada surf - Popular video again. every now and then ive played the melody from that song but couldnt remember its name, who sang it, or any of the lyrics.) There were a lot of songs i think should resonate. itll be weeks before i know how effective for me they are tho.

there are still some intervals i need a song for tho. A descending major 7, and to a lesser degree suggestions for a descending minor third and descending major 2nd could help too.

i find that when the interval is part of a simple, succinct melody, its driven home. like the ascending minor sixth was trouble for me, but the guitar line in the song "in my life" makes it clear by how it sounds in a riff falling on the fifth. or at first i found a tritone hard to just think or sing on its own, but i could imagine the melody of a tritone falling back a half step to the perfect fourth.

these are the songs im using, ascending written first.

octave: Singing in the rain; Willow weep for me

-2: Jaws; Fur Elise

M2: Warpigs; Three blind mice (honestly this interval almost feels like nothings happening to me. I dont feel it nearly as much as the rest)

-3: Greensleeves; Hey jude (im uncomfortable with a descending minor third, singing it and being sure im right)

M3: Bam bam (toots & maytals); Swing low

P4: taps (funeral song); eine kleine nachtmusik

+4: i just imagine a melody like i said before, but the song maria is nice; YYZ

P5: star wars, it dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

-6: in my life; Love story theme

M6: N... B... C; Music of the Night

-7: In heaven everything is fine (song from eraserhead); An american in Paris

M7: like the tritone i imagine melody where major 7 pulls up a half step to the octave (like in Take on me. only if i try to imagine the song on its own, i remember it wrong. so its backwards. i gotta remember the interval to get the song right); ?????

tx for any help

Last edited by rabbittroopsux : 01-11-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Rate This Thread: