Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Where the Water Falls

A semi-improvised poem.

Where the water falls

Where the water falls over overhanging rock windswept
In the blue breezes thrown from natural aqueducts
Underneath the wet sky you and I did walk
Where the water falls green and mossy to the
Farthest bank of the rivers of Earth
With dragonfly lily pads and April blossoms
Living their lives we kissed in the river
Where the water falls from grace
To a godless rock underneath it all
And paradise stalls
For one unmeasured moment
As you fall and the water falls.
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
carina90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Cool
carina90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
seventh_angel
So-Called New-Age(d) Poet
 
seventh_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Could you punctuate this? It does this justice and it doesn't make this such a mess.

It sounds good, but I can't avoid feeling a bit lost in how this should be read though.
seventh_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
doubtfulsalmon
______________
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
totally agree with seventh angel, get this thing punctuated, you're on to something really good here.

also i love those last 5 lines.
doubtfulsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Thanks guys, well the punctuation thing was supposed to emphasize rhythm over everything else, but maybe I should add it. It's quite an ambiguous, experimental piece I suppose.

Last edited by OKSauce : 03-26-2013 at 09:04 AM.
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Here's an edit -

Where the water falls over overhanging rock, windswept
in the blue breezes thrown from natural aqueducts
underneath the wet sky.
Where the water falls green and mossy to the
farthest bank of the rivers of Earth,
with dragonfly lily pads and April blossoms
living their lives,
we kissed in the river
where the water falls from grace
to a godless rock underneath it all.
And paradise stalls
for one unmeasured moment
as you fall and the water falls.
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
seventh_angel
So-Called New-Age(d) Poet
 
seventh_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
That edit makes all the difference man. This is really good.
seventh_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventh_angel
That edit makes all the difference man. This is really good.


Thanks, that's very kind! Just changed the last line too -


Where the water falls over overhanging rock, windswept
in the blue breezes thrown from natural aqueducts
underneath the wet sky.
Where the water falls green and mossy to the
farthest bank of the rivers of Earth,
with dragonfly lily pads and April blossoms
living their lives in the rock-tossed river
where the water falls from grace
to a godless rock underneath it all.
And paradise stalls
for one unmeasured moment
where the water falls.

since the old one made less sense, and this repeats the title, which is nice.

Last edited by OKSauce : 05-10-2013 at 04:49 PM.
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Eccer
Serial Lurker
 
Eccer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
The first is better in my opinion, but yeah. It's such a nice little poem you got here. I wish there was some music to it, would really love to hear how you would envision this. Keep it up!
__________________
Current pieces:
More
Alcohol's a...
We're catching ships in the Rye
Eccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
ben bobby oh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your mom's house
this is a pretty good poem. are you going to make it into a song?
__________________
>>>http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/p_yolk/<<<
______________________________________
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rrrandomnessw/
____________________________________
ben bobby oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben bobby oh
this is a pretty good poem. are you going to make it into a song?


Thanks, I wasn't planning to put music to it but you never know, stranger things have happened. It might be too ambiguous and rhythmically strange though.
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
pushkar000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
this is a great piece you've got man!

if its alright with you, could i try to write a melody and some music for this/use this poem(piece? lyric?) as some sort of basis for writing something?
im supposed to write my old band a song and im lost for lyrics, and this is just beautiful.
credits will go where due of course, and if anything ever comes through of this, ill make sure to let you have the first listen!

Last edited by pushkar000 : 04-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
pushkar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkar000
this is a great piece you've got man!

if its alright with you, could i try to write a melody and some music for this/use this poem(piece? lyric?) as some sort of basis for writing something?
im supposed to write my old band a song and im lost for lyrics, and this is just beautiful.
credits will go where due of course, and if anything ever comes through of this, ill make sure to let you have the first listen!


Yeah I'd love that man, please do keep me posted! Feel free to edit it too if you want.
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
pushkar000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSauce
Yeah I'd love that man, please do keep me posted! Feel free to edit it too if you want.


thanks man!

I changed quite a bit of the song, and it really blows compared to what you originally came up with(im sorry, i tried to do it justice but failed miserably). id love your opinion though.
my old band has a female and male vocalist, so i wrote a duet. the rough sort of idea here is two troubled lovers talking about the problems they had, amidst the backdrop of this beautiful waterfall kind of thing going on
please if theres anything you'd like to change/tell me, go right ahead, id appreciate criticism and help

(boy)Where the water falls bright blue
April blossoms and little birds flew
Everything Id do
Wasnt good enough for you

(together)So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else

(girl)Where the water falls from grace
The windswept hair covers your face
You ran away to a different place
Why didnt you let me chase

(together)So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else

(together)And we kissed on that lonely night (in the river/together)
And we said this was paradise forever

(together)And paradise stalls
For one single moment
As the water falls

Last edited by pushkar000 : 04-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.
pushkar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkar000
thanks man!

I changed quite a bit of the song, and it really blows compared to what you originally came up with(im sorry, i tried to do it justice but failed miserably). id love your opinion though.
my old band has a female and male vocalist, so i wrote a duet. the rough sort of idea here is two troubled lovers talking about the problems they had, amidst the backdrop of this beautiful waterfall kind of thing going on
please if theres anything you'd like to change/tell me, go right ahead, id appreciate criticism and help

(boy)Where the water falls bright blue
April blossoms and little birds flew
Everything Id do
Wasnt good enough for you

(together)So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else

(girl)Where the water falls from grace
The windswept hair covers your face
You ran away to a different place
Why didnt you let me chase

(together)So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else

(together)And we kissed on that lonely night (in the river/together)
And we said this was paradise forever

(together)And paradise stalls
For one single moment
As the water falls


The duet is a nice idea. The tricky thing here is that it's such an ambiguous, rambling poem. I would say that possibly the rhyming couplets don't work that well because it sometimes feels like the rhymes are a bit forced. What chords are you using?
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
pushkar000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSauce
The duet is a nice idea. The tricky thing here is that it's such an ambiguous, rambling poem. I would say that possibly the rhyming couplets don't work that well because it sometimes feels like the rhymes are a bit forced. What chords are you using?


heres a midi file of the song
it sounds crap, terribly sorry.
theres a distinct lack of instrumentation and atmosphere because
(1) the program i used(tuxguitar) cant do exactly what a real guitar can
(2) and also cause the bass is crap
(3) and finally cause i was forced to write this for a single guitar, cause my old band has only one guitar player.
i yolo'ed the drums, it was 5am.
the synth is supposed to be the vocals(both male and female cause i was lazy)
and the ending is half-assed, i didnt know what to do so i just left it.

thats all the excuses

im no songwriter, forgive me



The chords are

_______Verse:__________________________Chorus(not in order):_____________

e-|-------------------------------------------0------0------0--------0--------0--------0-------
b-|-----5-------------5----------------------0------0------0--------0--------0--------0-------
G-|-----4-------------4----------------------8------9-----11------13-------16------16---------
D-|-----6-------------6----------------------6------7------9-------11-------13------14-------
A-|-----0-------------------------------------6------7------9-------11-------14------14--------
D-|--------------------4----------------------6------7------9-------11-------13------14---------

The chords to the last part are the 2nd(Asus2) and 3rd(Bsus4) chorus chords
Attached Files
File Type: mid Homoz2.mid (29.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by pushkar000 : 04-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
pushkar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkar000
heres a midi file of the song
it sounds crap, terribly sorry.
theres a distinct lack of instrumentation and atmosphere because
(1) the program i used(tuxguitar) cant do exactly what a real guitar can
(2) and also cause the bass is crap
(3) and finally cause i was forced to write this for a single guitar, cause my old band has only one guitar player.
i yolo'ed the drums, it was 5am.
the synth is supposed to be the vocals(both male and female cause i was lazy)
and the ending is half-assed, i didnt know what to do so i just left it.

thats all the excuses

im no songwriter, forgive me



The chords are

_______Verse:__________________________Chorus(not in order):_____________

e-|-------------------------------------------0------0------0--------0--------0--------0-------
b-|-----5-------------5----------------------0------0------0--------0--------0--------0-------
G-|-----4-------------4----------------------8------9-----11------13-------16------16---------
D-|-----6-------------6----------------------6------7------9-------11-------13------14-------
A-|-----0-------------------------------------6------7------9-------11-------14------14--------
D-|--------------------4----------------------6------7------9-------11-------13------14---------

The chords to the last part are the 2nd(Asus2) and 3rd(Bsus4) chorus chords


The way the chords and the melody work together is good, I like the way the song builds up texturally too. The lyrics need a bit of work in my opinion, I could mess with them a bit if you want?
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
pushkar000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSauce
The way the chords and the melody work together is good, I like the way the song builds up texturally too. The lyrics need a bit of work in my opinion, I could mess with them a bit if you want?


i didnt have much to work with i was pushed for time and the other restrictions i mentioned above.
glad you like it though.

please, feel free to edit them, id love that!

the exact lyrics, as they are right now:

Where the water falls, so bright blue
April blossoms bloom
And all the little birds they flew
Everything Id do
Wasnt good enough for you

So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else

Where the water falls, it falls from grace
And the windswept hair covers your face
You ran away to a different place
Where you never let me chase

[ So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else ] (x2)

[ And we kissed on that lonely night (in the river/together)
And we said this was paradise forever ] (x100)

Last edited by pushkar000 : 04-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.
pushkar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
OKSauce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swansea, Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkar000
i didnt have much to work with i was pushed for time and the other restrictions i mentioned above.
glad you like it though.

please, feel free to edit them, id love that!

the exact lyrics, as they are right now:

Where the water falls, so bright blue
April blossoms bloom
And all the little birds they flew
Everything Id do
Wasnt good enough for you

So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else

Where the water falls, it falls from grace
And the windswept hair covers your face
You ran away to a different place
Where you never let me chase

[ So I thought to myself
Id fall in love with someone else ] (x2)

[ And we kissed on that lonely night (in the river/together)
And we said this was paradise forever ] (x100)


They're pretty fine as they are to be honest, I'd just change

'I'd fall in love with someone else'

to

'I'll fall in love with someone else.' Because the tense makes more sense this way. I think the rest is ok though man. Let me know how it goes and if it gets played live or anything (:
OKSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
pushkar000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSauce
They're pretty fine as they are to be honest, I'd just change

'I'd fall in love with someone else'

to

'I'll fall in love with someone else.' Because the tense makes more sense this way. I think the rest is ok though man. Let me know how it goes and if it gets played live or anything (:


thanks!
that makes sense, ill change that bit.
if you think of anything else, let me know.

my band is currently trying to get a slot for a gig at the end of the month, and hopefully they get the slot + play the song. if that happens, ill be sure to link it to you! our female vocalist is amazing, im positive you'll enjoy her singing.
pushkar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.