Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Michele_R

Eleven rack or pod hd500?

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask.

So, I need something to be able to have GOOD tones for home practice (good distortion etc. at low volumes) and which allows me to "bring" my sounds to practices and eventually future gigs.

First of all, budget is about 700 euros, but if I can wait until let's say christmas it can grow to 1000 more or less.

So my teacher told me buying something like the hd500 would be a good idea, he is a great player and uses something like that for his live shows and he can obtain some killers tone from pods and similar stuff....
So I was almost buying the HD500 (which in italy can be found used for 400...only 70 euros less than the new product); when I noticed I can have a used eleven rack for about 150 more euros (550 to 600 used).

My questions are:
-I noticed the Eleven rack doesn't have a "pedalboard" to control channels and stuff, how much would I need to spend for one to be able to use it at practices/gigs? And which one would be a good choiche?
-What else would I need to buy to use the unit I'm going to buy effectively? I mean, at home I've seen I can plug them directly into the PC and I have a sort of amp I would be able to use. Would I have to expect something to have to buy something else at the moment?
-how is the eleven rack compared to the HD500 in terms of portability? I mean, would it be an issue to bring the 11rack to practices every week or it's just the same as bringing a pedalboard as the HD is?

Well', I'm a bit confused actually, if someone can give me some impressions on both the products and some advices it would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any english mistakes

M.

P.S: I already tought about a tube amp, but after asking some people's opinion the conclusions were:
-a tube amp needs to be "pushed" to the limit to get the best out of it, there's no point in buying a valve amp to play it at volume 0.5 at home
-My bugdet won't allow me to buy any good amp I may use both home/practices, I mean, I've started looking at the tubemeister and it's about 1300-1400 with a good cab, without any pedal effect.
-To be sincere, I'm quite new in the guitar world, especially in the amp world, so I can't tell what I want...I mean, it seems a bit pointless to buy a 1000 valve amp when I don't even know precisely what I want and I can't use it's full potential at home....it seems to me it would be a better choiche to get something like the two units above and when I'll have "my sound" to buy some really good amp and analog effects to obtain that sound....also when I'll have a job so I can spend enought money to get the best

I hope that makes some sence
Michele_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The HD500 is a better choice for you. Even the Zoom G5 is worth considering. A keyboard amp will work well. If you have a good home stereo you can put a mixer on the tape monitor and plug into it. I've got that setup in two rooms of my house. It sounds great.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

digitech eleven rack or an HD500, as recommended above the HD500 may be more portable.
a decent tube power amp to power it up for gigs.

and you're all set for home and gigging. it'll sound pretty good, too.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Shouldn't need anything as expensive as a tube power amp and cab for gigging. A decent powered foldback wedge is all you need and you see those flogged off cheap on the used market all the time. They are the first thing people sell when they stop gigging and sell up their PA gear.
You will want something in excess of 12" and 100W because smaller wedges are normally shit. If one day you decide to buy a real amp, a wedge will still be something you will find a use for so you haven't wasted any money. Plus of course there's the advantage that they aren't that big. And stay away from Behringer.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Eleven Rack comes with Pro Tools, so that's cool, if you're looking to record.

POD HD500, on the other hand, doesn't come with Pro Tools, but sounds better imo. And is cheaper.

Personally, I'd go with the POD.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
digitech eleven rack or an HD500

I hope you mean DigiDesign

I'm pretty sure he's looking for people who have experience with both of the products' sound quality, so I recommend that you ask inside the DSP thread, TS.

As far as user interface goes, the HD500 is a better choice for someone who is considering going beyond a studio.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
iamcline
Paulitically Correct

I believe the Eleven Rack and HD500 to be great value, but the Eleven Rack is held back (in this comparison) due to no pedal board. Eleven Rack is excellent if you want to record as your main focus, but the HD500 is excellent all around.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
iamcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcline
I believe the Eleven Rack and HD500 to be great value, but the Eleven Rack is held back (in this comparison) due to no pedal board. Eleven Rack is excellent if you want to record as your main focus, but the HD500 is excellent all around.

i'm fairly sure that the 11 rack can be controlled with a midi footcontroller like the AxeFx. You can definitely hook up an expression pedal to use for wah and volume pedal stuff so you should be able to use a MIDI pedal to swap patches. I'm not 100% but i can't imagine that this would be a problem

if you could i would go for the 11 rack, its a great piece of kit. That along with a MIDI foot controller and even a decent solid state poweramp and you'll be sorted
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
iamcline
Paulitically Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredftw
i'm fairly sure that the 11 rack can be controlled with a midi footcontroller like the AxeFx. You can definitely hook up an expression pedal to use for wah and volume pedal stuff so you should be able to use a MIDI pedal to swap patches. I'm not 100% but i can't imagine that this would be a problem

if you could i would go for the 11 rack, its a great piece of kit. That along with a MIDI foot controller and even a decent solid state poweramp and you'll be sorted

Oh it most definitely can work with a controller, the HD500 is excellent and already comes with the controller...as to where an Eleven Rack is just excellent, controller sold separately.

If the TS doesn't mind buying a separate controller to go with the Eleven Rack then you really can't go wrong with either choice.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
iamcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Michele_R

Thanks for all your advices and opinions!
I ended up buying the POD HD500, I've found it for 400 used.
Hopefully you've got a NPD coming in a week or so.
Michele_R is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: