Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
richardlpalmer

Christmas Present Assistance

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could get some help from the bass aficionados. The scenario is that my son would like a 5 string bass. He likes rock (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, etc.) & some funk (Chili Peppers, etc.).

He currently has a Schecter Raiden Special 4:

The most obvious choice would be the Schecter Raiden Special 5:

He's played this bass and enjoyed it, so it's my default instrument. That being said, the last time we were at the store he really enjoyed playing this Ibanez SR505 and made mention that he'd love to have "something like it", referring to the body shape, thickness, etc..

This got me thinking, "What would be the best quality/playing bass I could get him for comparable money?" This of course led me to this section of our happy UG home...

I see there's also an Ibanez SR705 for a couple hundred dollars more. And there's another Schecter in that price range as well. And then there's MTD (don't know the name at all) and ESP.

Help a brother out! I'm looking at pickups and seeing all of these have similar pups (at least in terms of not being split) but other than that I'm not sure what else there is. You can tell the price range I'm looking at by the above. Somewhere in the $600-$800 range (but that's not a fixed amount either).

At the end of the day, I'll be getting the guitar from GC most likely. He'll be able to take it back if it's not what he'd prefer and get something else, but I'd like to get him something as nice as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and I'll do my best to answer questions...

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native

Last edited by richardlpalmer : 12-17-2012 at 09:34 PM.
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
chatterbox272

Well I'm a Yamaha fan, I love my RBX375 to death and I'd recommend checking it out even though it's well below your price range. The Yamaha that's in your price range is the BB425X, which I unfortunately haven't had an opportunity to try myself but I've heard good things, and I've never played a yamaha instrument I didn't like.
There's also the ESP LTD F-415 if you want a longer scale length, or the BC Rich WMD Widow if he likes pointy things.

inb4 Squier VM or CV
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
richardlpalmer

Thanks for the Yamaha advice. Looking at them now.

And no, he's not really into pointy things. He's also not much of a retro kid either...

And LOL about your IB4 comment.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
joey-only

I own the SR505 and can vouch for the quality and great sound of that line.
GK 8X10
MXR M-80
Warwick Corvette 5
LTD B-1000+TA-200
http://www.facebook.com/DemizBand
joey-only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Another bass in your price range is the BTB575 it's a great bass for what you get. Though it weighs a ton and has a slight balancing issue.

Although if your son's dead set on getting a SR the 705 is the better bass in quality than the 505.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Sliide90027

Brands
Not a follower of The SR line and even less a Schecter guy.

After 5-6 years of telling my friend Adam Nitti about my then recent Ibanez Discovery, he is now endorsing the SR Prestige with wide spacing. Nitti was always a demanding performer.

Ibanez, I never thought much of them over all, until I woke up one day and realized that I had owned 3 in my life. I think that says something about insidious Quality.

5 String is another world
When you get to 5 string basses you get into the world of string spacing that is really not an issue with 4's.

I believe the String Spacing is tighter on the SR and Schecter 5's, so just be aware of that. It was important for me, and especially so when I moved a $5K Boutique instrument out of my life and wanted a full spacing 5 like a 4, which my Ergodyne 605 never had.

String Spacing v. Neck Width
If spacing is an issue over neck width, then I would suggest finding a Used BTB 405, 455, or the bolt on 5 in the 500 series. While the neck is wide, mine are so thin, I cannot believe how fast I play and how it responds.

If neck width is an issue, keep your focus on the Schecter and the SR. Smallr hands can dictate this.

Personal dislike of Current BTBs
Some like the newer Preamp and Neck Through on the newer 575, 675, and 775, which are within the negotiable range for you to walk out of GC with a New Dark Walnut top 675 for $800 if you hold the line and lay down the cash to walk out the door.

I would trust a Neck Through Walnut Stringered Double Truss Rod Instrument with my heart. I would feel confidence with that for a lifetime, that it will not likely crap out in 2 years like my Rich did me.

Short of a Ken Smith or David King Carbon Fiber re-enforced neck, or a Status Carbon Fiber neck, I have no hesitations regarding this particular neck design, and letting my heart get attached to the instrument.

While I am a Bolt On Guy(I shim my necks for the most insane low action), and love the older Ibanez 18v Preamp, I call them the Poor Man's Ken Smith. (Strangely, I felt nothing for the Smith Neck Through after finally palying one after a 22 year wait. It was the Bolt on Smith that did it for me.) It would likely take one of those to replace the inspiring tone and attack of my Bolt on BTBs.

I think that says something for that design, and you should be able to negotiate a new Neck Through for around $800. World Class, definitely. So reasonably attainable for the Intermediate Student as an Instrument that is inspiring. To me, it was an awakening even after a $5K Boutique Intrument and 31 years.

I believe it is the best bargain out there. Period.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
richardlpalmer

Thanks for the input so far. I really do appreciate it.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

+1 to the SRs. I still have no idea what model mine is and it's a four string, but I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
anarkee
oh the horror!

The 705 is a good choice. The string spacing is a bit tighter than your usual 5 string but if that's not a issue then I would keep it on your radar. You can dial up a good variety of tones with the SR series and they fit well into the type of music your son likes to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
richardlpalmer

In casual conversation with my son he brought up really liking the SR (and made particular mention of the neck width and ease of play). He's not a small kid, by any stretch of the imagination. He just turned 14, but he's 6'5", 250 lbs (yes, my food bill is ridiculous...)

Anyway, I'm looking at the SR505 or SR705 at this point.

Your feedback was awesome! Thanks again.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Take a look at Schecter's Diamond P Custom 5-string. Fantastic bass, and not just for the money. Definitely an overlooked choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
watchingmefall
Government is hell

Props to being an awesome parent. And the SR505 is an excellent bass for the buck. I've played with the Schecter and found it too bright or twangy for my tastes. And the Ibanez was more versatile in it's tone.
Ganimedes
Santa Cecilia
watchingmefall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: