Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry

Why not both?
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:01 AM   #4783
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Holy shit. The Nats signed Scherzer. RIP in peace all other NL East teams. Their pitching staff is absurdly loaded now.

Also, even if they don't trade a surplus starter this year, Fister and Zimmerman are both FA after 2015. I really want the Giants to sign Fister.

Last edited by TheChaz : 01-19-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #4784
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

This makes me sick. While Scherzer's contract will probably not be a good one (nothing official but it's looking like 7 years, $200+ million), the Nats' staff just got even more disgusting.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #4785
iro-bot31
Jazz Hands

Nats beat reporters are also saying they're getting rid of Strasburg.

Personally, if I was them I would rather keep Strasburg instead of signing Scherzer to such a long contract. Not to mention the contract is half-deferred, they're going to paying him $15 million a year for 14 years. Reminds me of the Bonilla contract.

But yeah, next year they're going to be stacked. Really, the NL East has some insane pitching staffs. Nats probably have the best rotation in the league, and the Marlins and Mets are both somewhat loaded.

Last edited by iro-bot31 : 01-19-2015 at 04:07 PM.
iro-bot31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #4786
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by iro-bot31

Personally, if I was them I would rather keep Strasburg instead of signing Scherzer to such a long contract. Not to mention the contract is half-deferred, they're going to paying him $15 million a year for 14 years. Reminds me of the Bonilla contract.

But yeah, next year they're going to be stacked. Really, the NL East has some insane pitching staffs. Nats probably have the best rotation in the league, and the Marlins and Mets are both somewhat loaded.

Same. Strasburg is still young and would be much cheaper to lock up than Scherzer. He'll probably be a comparable or better pitcher over the next 7 years too. If I was a GM there's no way I'd sign Scherzer for 7 years. Even if his shoulder doesn't fall apart, there's no way he's gonna maintain good production for 7 more years.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #4787
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by iro-bot31

Agreed, I don't really get the logic behind signing Scherzer and possibly trading Strasburg. A Zimmermann or Fister trade would make more sense since they're both free agents after this year, but even then I'd rather keep Zimmermann. Also the Bonilla deferral was much, much less than this one. Bonilla is only getting $1.19 million a year, and while that's over 24 years the total deferred payment still comes out to be a third of Scherzer's total.

What a weird signing.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #4788
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
Agreed, I don't really get the logic behind signing Scherzer and possibly trading Strasburg. A Zimmermann or Fister trade would make more sense since they're both free agents after this year, but even then I'd rather keep Zimmermann. Also the Bonilla deferral was much, much less than this one. Bonilla is only getting $1.19 million a year, and while that's over 24 years the total deferred payment still comes out to be a third of Scherzer's total.

What a weird signing.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Zimmerman or Fister to try to get some offense. A rotation of Scherzer, Zimmerman/Gio, Strasburg, Fister/Gio, and Roark would still be the best in MLB.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #4789
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Vogelsong just signed a one year deal with the Giants. That gives them 6/7 starters with potentially 2 good ones if Matt Cain comes back from his elbow and ankle surgeries and can pitch like he did in 2009-2012. Yay 2015
Old 01-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #4790
iro-bot31
Jazz Hands

Marlins signed Ichiro for a one-year deal. I guess he's mostly being signed for his veteran presence and depth, since we already have a really good outfield with Yelich/Ozuna/Stantion.
iro-bot31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #4791
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

The new commissioner has been in office for less than 24 hours and he's already off to a bad start. He's in favor of a pitch clock, wants to "inject additional offense into the game" by eliminating defensive shifts, and thinks the All-Star Game should still determine World Series home field advantage.
Old Today, 02:48 PM   #4792
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:
The new commissioner has been in office for less than 24 hours and he's already off to a bad start. He's in favor of a pitch clock, wants to "inject additional offense into the game" by eliminating defensive shifts, and thinks the All-Star Game should still determine World Series home field advantage.

How do you even eliminate defensive shifts? Do you put chalk lines throughout the infield and tell players they have to be positioned inside the lines prior to the pitch?
Old Today, 03:09 PM   #4793
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Ugh, Brewers having another bad off season, as usual. Why do we love washed up pitchers so much?

Quote:

I'm on the fence about the pitch clock.

Eliminating shifts is stupid. Real stupid.

I actually like the idea of the All-Star game determining homefield.
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

Last edited by JustRooster : Today at 03:10 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:26 PM   #4794
WCPhils
UG Addict

Eliminating defensive shifts is so dumb

I feel like the pitch clock thing would only affect the Yankees and Red Sox to be honest. No one is nearly as bad as them with that shit.

And I don't understand why homefield isn't just better regular season record. Though I do kinda like how the All Star game means something.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #4795
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Regular Season record seems more appropriate, honestly. But a bigger part of me wants to see an All star game in which people are actually playing for real.
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 PM   #4796
soundgarden1986
wicked grosso

they should just eliminate fielders
soundgarden1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:30 PM   #4797
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
How do you even eliminate defensive shifts? Do you put chalk lines throughout the infield and tell players they have to be positioned inside the lines prior to the pitch?
Your guess is as good as mine. He's clearly talking about overshifts, so I would assume it'll be you can only have two infielders on either side of second base. That said, he's claiming eliminating the shift will be a way to increase offensive production (which is probably true), but how is an overshift any different than shading hitters one way in the outfield, corners in, double play depth, etc. in terms of strategy?

As for the pitch clock, baseball is obviously unique in that there is no play clock or game clock, and I don't think they should mess with that. Also, I just can't see pitchers favoring any kind of time restraint. I thought one of the best parts of being a pitcher when I played was that the game was played at the speed I dictated. There are other ways of shortening the game.

Regarding home field advantage in the World Series, I think it should be based on some kind of record. Regular season, interleague, head-to-head, I don't care, it just doesn't make sense that it's possible for a 100+ win team to not have home field advantage over a second wild card team because of the result of an exhibition game.
Old Today, 05:44 PM   #4798
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Trying to eliminating shifts in baseball is like trying to eliminate different offensive formations in football. It's absurdly stupid.

What isn't absurdly stupid is the Orioles and Blue Jays are no longer talking about trading Duquette. Yay!

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: