Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
samik83

Unhappy Need help

Hi, I don't know if anyone face same problem here, I'm using single units as follows

Guitar Input -> BOSS Noise Suppressor

Boss NS Send -> Boss MT2 -> Boss CS3 -> Boss GE7 -> Boss NS2 Receive

Boss NS2 Output -> Roland Cube 15XL

Roland Cube 15XL Recording Out -> M-Audio Fast Track MKII input

I'm mainly into heavy metal and thats why i use high gain distortion ... when i jam or play with my band my pedals sounds killer but in recording they sounds shitty

How i can improve my sound in recording.

Please help ..
samik83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

By plugging your guitar straight into your interface and using an amp simulator. See the sticky on it.

/thread
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Short answer: Get rid of all the pedals.

Long(er) answer: Get rid of all the pedals, you shouldn't need them. Instead, you should raise your amp off the floor; get down so your ear is level with the speaker; dial in a sound you like with less gain (based on what you've described, probably a lot less gain, as I get the impression you're a fairly new/little inexperienced player) than you think you need and record one take. Pan it to the left. Now record a second take, and pan it to the right. This is double-tracking, and is part of getting the guitars to sound huge.

Until you are experienced, you are very likely to misjudge the appropriate level of gain for the sound you're going after and even many big metal bands rarely have the gain on their amps beyond 6 or 7 out of 10 (or 2 o'clock, if you use that method for describing the pot positions), so try not to be tempted to just whack up the gain to 10 so it is easier to play anything - as a general rule, if you can't play something with the guitar unplugged, you probably can't play it competently enough (excusing techniques where there is a requirement for gain to create feedback/sustain, i.e whammy harmonics). You shouldn't need to rely on very high gain to play most things, though you'll learn this over time anyway.

Sorry if it sounds patronising, your post just gave the impression that you are relatively new to all this. As for why I said to remove the pedals: they are rarely good enough quality to affect a recording in a positive way; add a load of noise to the signal chain; and typically don't actually give you anything beneficial you can't get from the amp or in your DAW in post-production (mixing). Presuming by the name, that your amp is a 15 watt practice amp, you shouldn't need a noise gate for feedback-cancellation, and if you're getting a lot of electronic/RF noise you either need your pickups checked for proper shielding, or to cut out the pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
By plugging your guitar straight into your interface and using an amp simulator. See the sticky on it.

/thread

Or this, but I get the impression TS will want to use his amp rather than use amp sims (I know, lockwolf, I know...)

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
samik83

thanks, i'll try as u said .... with less gain and dual tracking ...

@lockwolf: i dont has an amp simulator .. please suggest one within a reasonable budget ..
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
samik83

if i put pod bean at the end of my pedal chain and use clean amp with cabinets will it improve a huge ???
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Sheridane

Quote:
Originally Posted by samik83
if i put pod bean at the end of my pedal chain and use clean amp with cabinets will it improve a huge ???

As far as i know yes it will work for you and you get results.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
chatterbox272

Quote:
i dont has an amp simulator .. please suggest one within a reasonable budget ..

Anything under the free stuff in the amp sims sticky. e.g. LePou's amp sims (which one exactly will depend on the tone you want). A Tubescreamer sim like the ignite amps TS-999 can help too. That is also free.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
@lockwolf: i dont has an amp simulator .. please suggest one within a reasonable budget ..

Though Chatterbox already answered, like I said, refer to the Sticky on Amp Sims we have here.

Rate This Thread: