Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #23241
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

I personally would not do it. Their appraisal for your GTI will most likely be less than what you still owe. Plus the warranty is most likely non-transferrable. It is never a good idea to buy a car out of impulse. By calling you so close to the end of the sales month, they're creating a sense of urgency so you feel like you might be missing out on a great deal but don't have time to do more research or shop around. Classic sales technique.

For what it's worth, I think it's a good idea to have gotten the extended warranty. VW electronics are notorious for being a nightmare after 40-50k.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 08-28-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:28 AM   #23242
Lt. Shinysides
Perma'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldud536
Hey guys today I got a call from my dealership wanting to buy back my car and I'm VERY skeptical about this so here's a quick rundown of my situation:

-2012 GTI with almost 40k miles
-I bought last year mid December with 33k miles on it (I've had it for almost 8 months now)
- I paid $22k with an extended warranty included (might've been a bad idea)
-I have $17k left to pay on it
-They want to put me in a new GTI (2015)

The sales rep made an appointment tomorrow since I'm bringing it in anyways for a scheduled maintenance..but in short:

SHOULD I EXPECT ANYTHING POSITIVE OUT OF THIS?

of course they want to put you in a new GTI, because the new gti will cost you more, you will have effectively erased your last few months of payments, they'll have you on a LONGER payment term just to make the payments equal, and your trade in will make them a pretty penny too. they are royally ****ing you, making absolutely nothing but monetary gain at your expense, and putting you deeper into debt. if ford ever called me up trying to get me into a new mustang 8 months after purchasing the last one, I would tell them to go and get ****ed in as many different ways as I possibly could.

Like ace said, they're trying to move some inventory, and your name is on a list. That's all this is. you are not getting a better deal, they are going to **** you, the only reason you're being given this "offer" is because they know they have a better shot at selling a new GTI to someone who bought one before, than a random customer off the street.

Its shit like this that makes me absolutely despise dealerships and car salesman.

When you politely tell the salesman "no thank you", I'm sure he'll be more than happy to bring down the manager anyways in a last ditch attempt to score a sale that was never there, regardless of how many times you've told him you're not interested.

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides : 08-29-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Lt. Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #23243
Blayney
est'd 1989

Encore Strat, Ibanez GRX70 Jewel Blue, Ibanez RGT42DRFM (Dimarzio Breed bridge/Air Norton neck)
Hudson HD1, Lorenzo 'Bluebird' 12 String, Lg Tramontane T66ACE
Vox AD50VT, Vox AC30 (1963)
Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DS1

Cymru am Byth
Blayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #23244
Somekid94
Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Shinysides
*truck post*

If I had read that a few months ago, I might have a truck right now. They're just so big and bulky when you drive them with any charisma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Lord

@somekid: already got bitten by the mod bug ?

Yeah, I put a rear sway bar on it, tinted the windows, and have an oil catch can installed. I'm done until I need winter tires though. I have more important things to spend money on at the moment. Besides, I need to recoup my down payment first.
Somekid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #23245
Lt. Shinysides
Perma'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somekid94
If I had read that a few months ago, I might have a truck right now. They're just so big and bulky when you drive them with any charisma.

Man I'm always in the market for a new truck. haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger yet, and will likely try to squeeze one more winter out of mine before I have to replace it, but I'm aaaalways on the look out for good incentives.

They're just such a practical, useable vehicle. I'm sure people in Europe will disagree because of the massive size, but here in North America, they really are the go-anywhere, do-anything vehicle. I look at them like a mix between a muscle car and a utility van. At their heart, they are toys. Big, loud, overpowered, fun, obnoxious, etc. but they maintain a practicality and usability that absolutely no other vehicle on the road can match. nothing can haul more, get through worse weather, and keep you as comfortable doing it at as a pickup truck.

I'm even glad that they still use tried and true "old tech" for the most part. it gives them a rugged charm. I'm kind of disappointed that Ford uses all aluminum and the ecoboost v6 as its top tier engine and it just isn't very "truck-like". A truck is intended to take a little bit of abuse, its gonna get some dings and dents, and aluminum is astronomically expensive to repair, so I feel that was a very serious misstep (only brought the weight down to what a silverado weighs anyways. its not like its massively lighter than the competition), and the ecoboost V6, while an absolutely amazing engine, just doesn't suit a pickup truck at all.

just gonna leave this here:

its not too late to buy a pickup....
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #23246
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Shinysides
I'm even glad that they still use tried and true "old tech" for the most part. it gives them a rugged charm. I'm kind of disappointed that Ford uses all aluminum and the ecoboost v6 as its top tier engine and it just isn't very "truck-like". A truck is intended to take a little bit of abuse, its gonna get some dings and dents, and aluminum is astronomically expensive to repair, so I feel that was a very serious misstep (only brought the weight down to what a silverado weighs anyways. its not like its massively lighter than the competition), and the ecoboost V6, while an absolutely amazing engine, just doesn't suit a pickup truck at all..

Well.. the new Ford trucks use an all aluminum body on a steel frame which was standard fare for race cars and exotic supercars not so long ago. I know it seems kind of un-truck like but it's lighter, it's just as strong, it never rusts through and believe it or not it's more dent resistant. As for being more expensive to fix the repair shops have to update their equipment but Ford designed them with repair ability in mind. They don't cost any more to repair than the steel ones.

Yeah, I like big V8s too and Ford isn't going to stop offering them in trucks any time soon but the fact of the matter is they use more gas than smaller turbo charged engines and make just as much hp when you want them to.

Edit: and I almost forgot. The hood on your Mustang, it's aluminum too.

Last edited by BobDetroit : Today at 01:06 AM.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #23247
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

US trucks are getting more popular over here. It's weird. Just driving home from work (where's there's a Raptor) I saw a Ford Super Duty and a Chevy Silverado.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:44 AM   #23248
Lt. Shinysides
Perma'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit
Well.. the new Ford trucks use an all aluminum body on a steel frame which was standard fare for race cars and exotic supercars not so long ago. I know it seems kind of un-truck like but it's lighter, it's just as strong, it never rusts through and believe it or not it's more dent resistant. As for being more expensive to fix the repair shops have to update their equipment but Ford designed them with repair ability in mind. They don't cost any more to repair than the steel ones.

Yeah, I like big V8s too and Ford isn't going to stop offering them in trucks any time soon but the fact of the matter is they use more gas than smaller turbo charged engines and make just as much hp when you want them to.

Edit: and I almost forgot. The hood on your Mustang, it's aluminum too.

I know its stronger and lighter, and it is more dent resistant because of its inherent flexibility and elasticity compared to other metals, but when dents do happen my understanding is that if you aren't taking it to a ford bodyshop that has the equipment and the trained staff to have it repaired, you will pay through the nose. that means a lot of small town fords are gonna be waiting on those machines for a long time, and theres a loooot of F150s on the road getting dinged up every day.

and I know the hood on the mustang is aluminum, I wish MORE of it was aluminum. there are very few drawbacks in my mind to using aluminum on a car. I just find it a bit bizarre on a truck, given the nature of a trucks purpose. It works beautifully, no doubt, but I'm not convinced yet that it was the right move.

and hold on, lets not get crazy and start saying the Ecoboost is more fuel efficient .

Fact is, the F150 (I'm just gonna take a break for a second here to say that i LOVE the F150, I think its awesome. not knocking it at all. I think the ideas they've implemented on it are fantastic. I just feel like its polarizing. I'd love to own one, I just dont know if I would actually buy it over the silverado when it came down to it.) had to drop all that weight by utilizing aluminum just to get down to the silverados weight, and its BARELY lighter. however, to make it out of aluminum they've raised the price well above the silverado's price (not even going to talk about the Ram until they bring out an updated model). every time I've spec'd it out, its ended up being several thousand more for a very similarly equipped truck. Now, ford's big thing about the F150 is that it's the most efficient of the trucks, but it isn't. not in real world driving. nearly every test i've ever seen, including my own anecdotal (although limited) test drives in both of them have shown either identical mpg figures, or shown the silverado coming out on top with its big 6.2. there's no question that the 6.2 is the most fuel efficient of the V8s, but from what i've seen it bests the 3.5 ecoboost too. (not even going to discuss the Ecodiesel. very efficient, but the astronomical premium on that engine makes it a total joke. if you manage to make back your money in gas savings over the entire life of the truck, consider yourself lucky. and when repair time comes, prepare to feel the monetary wrath of maintaining a european engine)

I'm honestly of the opinion that in real world, every day driving, the 6.2 in the chevy is going to return better fuel economy (barely better, but still better. if not better, then identical). Whether or not this comes down to the transmissions (8 speed in the chevy vs. 6 in the ford), or down to the engine's architecture is an argument for people who know a lot more about the engineering involved in each engine than I do, but the fact of the matter is that ford is charging you more money to get an engine that produces a lot less power, doesn't really return any better gas mileage than the chevy, is likely more fragile than the v8 (admittedly unproven, the ecoboost seems to be designed to make most of its torque low in the rpm range, as a v8 would, whereas the chevy is oddly making peak power at something around 4000 rpm like the camaro and corvette that also use the engine), will likely die long before the 6.2 does, will be more expensive to maintain, and will probably be subject to a lot more quirks and problems than the chevy. that 6.2 is pushrod, which is tried and true, but its also direct injection so its a nice mix of well known, reliable tech that we've been using for decades, and some newer tech to squeeze out the mileage.

the flipside of this is that the ecoboost is available in many different trims, while the big 6.2 doesn't come cheap. both of them still beat the Rams ecodiesel gimmick, however, so its still a chevy and ford race in terms of 1/2 tons. I feel you're getting a better truck per dollar with the 6.2 silverado (im really stressing the 6.2 here because I think the 5.3 is a waste of money. If you're looking at a 5.3, save your money and go buy an F150 ecoboost(, but I'm sure many others would say that the F150 is the one to beat.

I've test driven them both, absolutely loved them both, they both feel nimble and VERY fast for big pickups, while the ram felt slow, heavy, and totally outclassed. at the end of the day, the difference between the chevy and the ford is gonna come down to personal preference. they're more or less identical in terms of gas mileage, speed, towing, weight, etc. If you're buying one of those 2, you've made a good choice as far as I'm concerned.

My personal choice would be the Silverado, I just liked the feel of it better and felt I was getting a little bit more of the stuff that I wanted for the same money. Plus, I own a silverado right now and its been an incredibly good truck. I've had a very very good experience with chevy trucks, whereas I know my dad had a very bad experience with an F150 once, and proceeded to buy chevy exclusively after that, so I'm a little bit biased. But that F150 aint a joke. Aluminum bodied and V6 powered it may be, but that Ecoboost is a monster. felt just as good as the chevy to drive, even though its 2 inches taller, and you sit a lot higher in it.

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides : Today at 02:50 AM.
Lt. Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: