Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
StefanWylde

Damaged (deeply scratched body)

So, I bought a used guitar for 100$ (my gosh why am I such a big idiot, I could have bought a brand new Squier for 150$)... So this guitar has deep scratches (HOLES actually), which is okay, for now, but I'm planning on re-painting it (I want it to be white-body/black (carbon) pickguard).. That's my favorite (Jake E. Lee) color combination for a stratocaster.
Check out the pictures, and please tell me if there's anyway to sandpaper the whole body to the level of the scratches, or any other technique to do to cover those bitchez..

StefanWylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Verse34k

keep em man, battle scars!
Verse34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verse34k
keep em man, battle scars!

Yeah once I paint the guitar white it'll look like shit
Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
mogar

Since its just gonna get a solid color, sand down to the wood and use a little bit of bondo and a putty knife to fill in the little spots. That's what I'd do anyway.

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids
mogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
desperatechris
Banned

^
Do that
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogar
Since its just gonna get a solid color, sand down to the wood and use a little bit of bondo and a putty knife to fill in the little spots. That's what I'd do anyway.

I'm sorry, my English is not my native language. Could you please tell me what does bondo and putty knife mean?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I've got $5 saying that once you sand that crap Poly paint off there won't even be any damage to the body.

And if there is, who cares, it's a $100 guitar.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I've got $5 saying that once you sand that crap Poly paint off there won't even be any damage to the body.

And if there is, who cares, it's a $100 guitar.

Well I care, I'm only 16 and this was the most I could afford (maybe 150 if I waited a month and sold the graphics card from my computer, but that's a whole other story)..
I live in a low standard country so... even my parents wouldn't buy me something more expensive.. because they don't understand
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
ne14t

Well when you strip it if there is still dings in the wood you can get some wood filler, fill the holes and sand it down before repainting.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanWylde
Well I care, I'm only 16 and this was the most I could afford (maybe 150 if I waited a month and sold the graphics card from my computer, but that's a whole other story)..
I live in a low standard country so... even my parents wouldn't buy me something more expensive.. because they don't understand

Well, you know that it's going to cost you more than the cost of the guitar to repaint it properly, right?

Just deal with it, learn to play it well, and eventually you can get another or fix this one up right. Your focus should be on how you sound, not how the guitar looks.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Well, you know that it's going to cost you more than the cost of the guitar to repaint it properly, right?

Just deal with it, learn to play it well, and eventually you can get another or fix this one up right. Your focus should be on how you sound, not how the guitar looks.

I didn't know that, I assumed it's gonna cost 20 $ ? Speaking of playing, could you give me a link for some free lessons? I've been playing for like 6-7 months...

Last edited by StefanWylde : 05-29-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
ne14t

Quote:
I didn't know that, I assumed it's gonna cost 20 $ ? Speaking of playing, could you give me a link for some free lessons? I've been playing for like 6-7 months...

Check out Marty Schwartz and Justin Sandercore (sp?) out on YouTube they have tons of great free lessons and songs tutorials on there.

As for painting the guitar it will certainly be more then $20 unless you already have the stuff lying around the house. Which we will assume you do tool wise for disassembling the guitars. To properly refinish the guitar you will need the following.

-800 grit sandpaper, to remove old finish and smoothing out filler
-Wood filler, if you are hell bent on filling the holes
-Primer, since you will probably be using spray paint
-Spray paint
-Clear coat (optional)
-2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to wet sand the finish
-Fine automotive cut polish to buff out the wet sanding

All in all if you have to purchase everything you are looking at probably around $80 for materials, less if you can mooch some off friends and family. Add an extra $10 for a can of clear if you opt to use it.

Edit: You could skip doing primer to save some cash, but you may need to go heavier on the paint as wood tends to absorb paint, also if the surface isn't properly primed to take paint when you do spray it some very weird shit can happen. No primer will probably also increase the amount of orange peeling from the paint that would need to be wet sanded and buffed out.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5

Last edited by ne14t : 05-29-2013 at 06:36 PM.
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Check out Marty Schwartz and Justin Sandercore (sp?) out on YouTube they have tons of great free lessons and songs tutorials on there.

As for painting the guitar it will certainly be more then $20 unless you already have the stuff lying around the house. Which we will assume you do tool wise for disassembling the guitars. To properly refinish the guitar you will need the following.

-800 grit sandpaper, to remove old finish and smoothing out filler
-Wood filler, if you are hell bent on filling the holes
-Primer, since you will probably be using spray paint
-Spray paint
-Clear coat (optional)
-2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to wet sand the finish
-Fine automotive cut polish to buff out the wet sanding

All in all if you have to purchase everything you are looking at probably around $80 for materials, less if you can mooch some off friends and family. Add an extra $10 for a can of clear if you opt to use it.

Edit: You could skip doing primer to save some cash, but you may need to go heavier on the paint as wood tends to absorb paint, also if the surface isn't properly primed to take paint when you do spray it some very weird shit can happen. No primer will probably also increase the amount of orange peeling from the paint that would need to be wet sanded and buffed out.

You changed my mind. I'd rather buy an amplifier (I'm playing thru computer now) than painting it... Anyways, for lessons, I've been learning some stuff from Marty now, but the thing is, his teaching is mechanical. It's like, play this fret, play that fret. I wanna know some music theory too, not by reading boring books but someone actually explaining it..
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
MopMaster

Quote:
You changed my mind. I'd rather buy an amplifier (I'm playing thru computer now) than painting it... Anyways, for lessons, I've been learning some stuff from Marty now, but the thing is, his teaching is mechanical. It's like, play this fret, play that fret. I wanna know some music theory too, not by reading boring books but someone actually explaining it..

Justin Sandercoe has some pretty good lessons on theory 101, iirc. He has videos on YouTube, but his site has more lessons, tabs, etc.

This isn't shameless advertisement, honest.
MopMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
sannyasidharma

^ that.

Google "free guitar lessons", and Justin should be in the top 2 or 3 results.

His free lessons are great, and for $10, he does a theory book which is very, very good. Immediate download as PDF once you pay. It's the closest thing you'll get in a book to having someone explain it.

The biggest issue I always faced in learning theory is that it was always generic music theory. Julian's theory book is *guitar* theory, and relates directly to the fretboard. It changed my life.
sannyasidharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
jds2

I've been following Justin Sandercoe's method for about 6 months and I'm a big fan. For music theory, I just found a set of 37 YouTube videos from John Oswin that I think are outstanding. I learned more music theory in one night of watching his videos than from everything else I did put together.
jds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogar

Make sure you thank mogar, TS.

OT:
Putty and a bondo knife are tools used to fill dings or scratches in wood. This is wood putty (aka spackle). This is a bondo knife (aka a spackle knife).

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
randywolf244
resident arrogant

Quote:
I'm sorry, my English is not my native language. Could you please tell me what does bondo and putty knife mean?

bondo a product for cars when they get in minor wrecks. how it works is you beat the dent out a little then you put some on it. smooth it out with sandpaper and once its painted its like it never happened.

and a putty knife is basically just something to spread it with. of all the ideas this seems like the best one. though to be honest under the poly paint it may not even be dinged at all (that shit is thick man). so i would wait till its stripped the even think about buying it.

for best results try automotive paint and a clear coat since thats really whats gonna make it shine and you can hang dry it with an unwrapped coat hanger through one of the neck holes.
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
zenbone
King of two things...

speed holes... leave them so your guitar will be faster
zenbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbone
speed holes... leave them so your guitar will be faster

Do you mind explaining more briefly?

Anyways, I didn't want to open another topic for the same guitar. It kinda has another problem too. Right now, the strings are pretty high so it's ok, but since I play heavy metal, I want to put them the as low as possible (as soon as I finish with school)...
Let's get back to the problem. The neck isn't at 180 degrees angle with the body..
Check out the picture:

In case you cannot see it, check out this picture made in paint just to get the idea..

Rate This Thread: