User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #81
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I really like this one. Definitely has flaws in terms of flow / motivic coherence like you mentioned with the seams, but it is pretty musical. I like the more current harmonies, though they are sometimes jarring when there's a shift to functional harmony. The main idea is neat and could be even better with a more pianistic texture. The seams are showing because you don't have good transition material to blur between one and the next, so work on that next time. Overall, I thought it was neat

Yeah, I think I need to work on my B sections. I should throw out the B section in the minuet. It's to unrelated. Sounds more like a prelude anyway. Perhaps I could salvage the B section in the trio if I added a bigger section in Ebm that introduced the 8th note rhythm I have now. I think the 4/4 sections in the trio introduced the falling 4th with a pause well enough. I wouldn't know how to make a more pianistic texture, not entirely sure what that entails. I remember having a bit of trouble coming up with accompaniment figures for the left hand. One you have the melody, that's the hard part. Could you specify which parts were jarring harmonically so I could be aware of that in the future?

Anyway, your piece was pretty awesome considering it was "just a simple one night thing." Ideally, I'd be able to whip something out like that in an evening. Something to work towards.

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix

Last edited by Duaneclapdrix : 05-16-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Duaneclapdrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #82
Han_Sulu
Unregistered User

Am I the only one who didn't write a minuet and trio on piano?

Anyway, here's an audio link to the overly melodramatic space synth composition that I came up with. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Han_Sulu/

No completed sheet music as of yet, maybe it will be done by the end of the weekend. I wasted so many hours trying to perfect the B section and picking out the orchestration that I didn't have time to write it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyC
Need help getting through writer's block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
robitussin
Han_Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #83
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Sweet, all the entries are coming in. Will listen to them later. Will we spend the month critiquing each other, or get prepared for the next composition challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han_Sulu
Am I the only one who didn't write a minuet and trio on piano?

Nope. I did mine with Guitar and Bass Guitar.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #84
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Probably give it another couple of weeks until we start something else.

What are people's feelings on doing another one of these? Duaneclapdrix's suggestion of a Rondo seems alright to me. But Xiaoxi will yell at me if I don't let him vet my ideas >.<
Old 05-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #85
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Nietsche, good job. It's good that you maintained definitive contours for the melodies. I assume you were trying to write with tonal harmony, so I just have to say there's a lot of room for improvement in that aspect. As for the texture, strive to do something more interesting than those triplets at the beginning for example.

You wrote this in 3/4, but based on those triplets, it makes more sense to do 9/8. You can switch to 3/4 in the trio section.

Trio sections are usually faster and a little more staccato in texture than the main minuet/scherzo. Beethoven has some great ones in his violin sonatas.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #86
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaneclapdrix
I wouldn't know how to make a more pianistic texture, not entirely sure what that entails.
All of us who wrote for piano here are vastly under-utilizing what the piano is capable of. Study some Romantic piano sonatas and you'll see you can do much more with it and get much more interesting sounds and textures than just basic lines/voices and alberti bass figures.

Quote:
Could you specify which parts were jarring harmonically so I could be aware of that in the future?
Well, this piece as a whole is not really grounded in functional harmony. Yet at the end of many phrases you have a 5 -> 1, and it's not very consistent with the overall sound.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #87
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Thank you for your evaluation Xiaoxi. I will keep what you've said in mind. I'm going to try over the Summer spending a lot more time reading scores to deepen my familiarity with the literature I think.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #88
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
All of us who wrote for piano here are vastly under-utilizing what the piano is capable of. Study some Romantic piano sonatas and you'll see you can do much more with it and get much more interesting sounds and textures than just basic lines/voices and alberti bass figures.

Well, this piece as a whole is not really grounded in functional harmony. Yet at the end of many phrases you have a 5 -> 1, and it's not very consistent with the overall sound.

Just looked through it again I see what you mean. Now that I think about it, I don't have a lot of ways to end phrases harmony-wise. I suppose I'd better be off to study some Romantic piano sonatas and try to find some more modern composers to look at. Maybe some Frenchmen.

I also have some ideas for a rondo everybody...I think we should do it...

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #89
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaneclapdrix

I also have some ideas for a rondo everybody...I think we should do it...

Yeah let's do it. **** the police!

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #90
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

I might write a piano piece after I hand in my composition portfolio (tomorrow)

Should be interesting as I haven't written anything tonal in months

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?

Last edited by griffRG7321 : 05-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #91
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han_Sulu
Anyway, here's an audio link to the overly melodramatic space synth composition that I came up with. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Han_Sulu/

This sounds really cool by the way, good work

Will put up Rondo thread in a couple of days if people are down for that. Will learn from previous experience and keep opening post short and to the point, will not learn from previous experience and retain the OCD alphabetical ordering of participants because fuck the police.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #92
jazz_rock_feel
repon

My suggestion is to do an ABA' thread. So similar to this one, but this time the challenge should be to make the two A sections based off of the same material, but not exact or close to exact repeats like this exercise. Basically challenge people to actually develop material they've created.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #93
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Jass Rock (my last letter of the alphabet key isn't working well) are you going to make that thread because I missed my chance to do this one and I would like to do something like this.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #94
jazz_rock_feel
repon

I think Nietsche said he was going to make another one in a few days. I don't know if he'll take my suggestion or not.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #95
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Whenever I see your user name now I just think of a whole jazz rock band with these faces

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #96
jazz_rock_feel
repon

I honestly don't know what the hell I was thinking with this username. Ah, to be 13 again.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #97
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
My suggestion is to do an ABA' thread. So similar to this one, but this time the challenge should be to make the two A sections based off of the same material, but not exact or close to exact repeats like this exercise. Basically challenge people to actually develop material they've created.

This is totes the best idea so far.

P.S. You think your username is bad, count yourself lucky >.<
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #98
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Mine sucks, it's just my first name followed by the ibanez model I got when I was 16 because I wanted to play KoRn songs

Rate This Thread: