Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Void90

Alternate Picking with Chords

Hi,

I'm reading the book Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina. In this book he states there are two types of picking to use: consistent alternate picking and sweep picking.

Here is my question:

Say in the following tab, which is from Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne:

Code:
----------------------------------------- -----------------5------------------5---- -----------------6------------------4---- -----------------7------------------6---- ---0----0--0---------0--0--0------------- -----------------------------------------

Would you upstroke the chords? I ask this because it feels awkward.

If I am supposed to upstroke them, then I assume its something I have to get used to.

Thanks.
Void90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Geldin

In this rhythm, you're doing a gallop on the open strings, meaning that your picking pattern is as follows:

Code:
---D----D--U-----D---D--U--D--U--D------- ----------------------------------------- -----------------5---------------5------- -----------------6---------------4------- -----------------7---------------6------- ---0----0--0---------0--0--0--0---------- -----------------------------------------

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Void90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
In this rhythm, you're doing a gallop on the open strings, meaning that your picking pattern is as follows:

Code:
---D----D--U-----D---D--U--D--U--D------- ----------------------------------------- -----------------5---------------5------- -----------------6---------------4------- -----------------7---------------6------- ---0----0--0---------0--0--0--0---------- -----------------------------------------

So I guess it's not good to use purely alternate picking at all times?
Void90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: