Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I've done this before, though just with a 3-way (full output, half output and no output). Works nicely enough. I'm not sure how much use I personally would get out of more steps in output, but if it works for you, great. I can't stand 'traditional' controls, so keep on modding!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #22
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple
...Also, the way I understand your diagram, I think that this wont change volume. Since every place on the switch will be at 500k, you wont have any variance in volume. You want it to be 0k to 500k. All a pot is doing is changing the resistance. You want to emulate this. I think you will only need one resistor for each position. I have no clue how you have it wired by the diagram. But that could be all the midterms and caffeine going to my head.
Though the switch has 10 or 12 terminals, you will only use half. Just depends on which side oyu want to be full volume.

TS actually is emulating a pot more than you're accounting for. A pot splits the 500k between hot and ground, which is exactly what he's doing with the switch. It sounds like you haven't considered what's going on in the other half of the pot.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
jetwash69

Quote:
...But you would never connect all three terminals of the pot to your guitar signal for volume...

What you're saying might be a possible way of hooking it up, however never say never.

Most installations do in fact use all 3 terminals. Here's 1 example (just the simplest humbucker diagram with a volume control I could find on Seymour Duncan's site):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...matic=1hum_1vol

All of my guitars use all 3 terminals on the volume pot (Fender, Ibanez, Schecter), so this diagram is not an anomaly.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
electric arrest

I agree. Most volume controls use all three.

Also, update on the mod, I'm still waiting on the blend pot, super switch, and push/pull pot from StewMac. Should be around any day now. The order says 1-4 weeks and its been about 2. Fingers crossed.
electric arrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
ohaple

I can admit when I am wrong. Im wrong.
The lucky thing was sarcasm..
I mustve gotten confused in the midst of midterms and working on my blinker project. Nearly every use I use pots for, I use them like rheostats, not voltage splitters.
My bad... I think my hubris was showing...
I think you will need all 12 terminals. Your diagram works. You want the 500k split between input and ground, in different proportions, just like your diagram shows.
Sorry if I confused you. Ive deleted my irrelevant posts to keep others from falling into my trap.

Cheers

Last edited by ohaple : 03-13-2013 at 01:05 PM.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
I can admit when I am wrong. Im wrong.
The lucky thing was sarcasm..
I mustve gotten confused in the midst of midterms and working on my blinker project. Nearly every use I use pots for, I use them like rheostats, not voltage splitters.
My bad... I think my hubris was showing...
I think you will need all 12 terminals. Your diagram works. You want the 500k split between input and ground, in different proportions, just like your diagram shows.
Sorry if I confused you. Ive deleted my irrelevant posts to keep others from falling into my trap.

Cheers

Alright man. Everyone gets confused from time to time.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
jetwash69

Quote:
I can... ...Cheers

Don't feel bad. It had been years since I'd been in control cavity (so to speak) and when I first saw this thread I was thinking exactly like you were. The chart I posted sorted me out, too.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #28
electric arrest

Good news! Got the parts today and after 5 hours of soldering, everything worked on first try! Works just like I planned. I'll be honest, its not pro or anything, but it gets the job done! Volume works, blend works perfectly, and push/pull tone is great.

I've attached the schematic which is accurate except for the tone lugs are reversed (cap should be connected to side lug and vice versa).

Haven't got strings back on yet but can't wait to hear the Air Classic and PAF 36th I've replaced the stock ibanez ones with.
Attached Images

electric arrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric arrest
Good news! Got the parts today and after 5 hours of soldering, everything worked on first try! Works just like I planned. I'll be honest, its not pro or anything, but it gets the job done! Volume works, blend works perfectly, and push/pull tone is great.

I've attached the schematic which is accurate except for the tone lugs are reversed (cap should be connected to side lug and vice versa).

Haven't got strings back on yet but can't wait to hear the Air Classic and PAF 36th I've replaced the stock ibanez ones with.

We love a success story, so have a beer on us!

A video would be cool. Either a demo or one of you playing it live and using the new features.

Rate This Thread: