Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
nitromonky200

Getting Started

I just bought a Rouge LX205B bass with my xmas money and Ive played a little guitar every now and then but I chose the bass because I already play a bass instrument (Ive played the tuba for for nearly 2 years). I already have a little Kustom amp i got from my brother when he got a bigger one. Anything you guys recommend to get on the right track? I have Rocksmith 2013 so i can learn a little.
nitromonky200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

This website has a lot of good info, and it is all free:

http://www.studybass.com/

Welcome to the Low End, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Phil Starr

I assume you can't afford a teacher and want to teach yourself.

Get your self some books. I started with this http://www.halleonard.com/product/v...o?itemid=697289 and ended up buying the whole series. You'll learn to use tabs and be playing songs from the start. Most of the Hal Leonard stuff is pretty reliable.

Learn whole songs, not just the riffs.

Practice little and often, you know this already if you play Tuba.

Tell people you are learning bass, then you'll have pressurised yourself into getting on with it.

Find friends to play with. Bass is not so much fun as a solo instrument but propping up a band is great. Even a beginner can sound great playing with a band, there are hundreds of songs you could be playing with a band within a week or two, I've had beginners playing With or Without You by U2 within an hour and there are plenty more like that.

Don't ever get disheartened or give up, just by doing it you make progress. Even when you seem stuck you'll go back to something you were struggling with and find you have moved forwards. Just keep practicing.

Good luck
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: