Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
jumpthewhale

Particular guitar for <$500

Hello acoustic guitar players of the world! I come seeking advice and wisdom.

I plan on trying to sell my Martin DCX1E. I love it, but it isn't what I'm into anymore, and it served me well for a few years. The same guitar in comparable condition to mine can be seen selling on ebay for around $400 dollars.

With that money (preferably not much more), I'm looking to buy a used acoustic, but I wanna ask this accumulated wealth of knowledge some questions first. I'm looking for a guitar that meets the following criteria:

Cutaway
25.5inch scale length minimum
greater than or equal to 22 frets
Bigger body (think dreadnought style)
No electronics (not a deal-breaker though)

My questions to the ultimate-guitar forum is as follows:
Does such a guitar exist? Could it be had for a maximum of $500 used?
The particular criteria is such that it could be kept and comfortably played in C tuning (standard intervals, but 2 steps down).

Thanks for your help!
jumpthewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpthewhale

Cutaway
25.5inch scale length minimum
greater than or equal to 22 frets
Bigger body (think dreadnought style)
No electronics (not a deal-breaker though)
The cutaway with NO electronics is for the most part mutually exclusive. With mass market Asian instruments, the two options generally are generally offered as one upgrade. Most acoustics are 21(?) frets.

25.5" scale is generally the norm in dread and larger bodies. The exception that comes to mind is Seagulls, but as I understand it, they've recently lengthened their scale from 24.8" to 25.5".

Taylor offers their guitar in almost any configuration you'd like, but $500.00 is barely a down payment.

So, the used guitar market isn't like a dealer, and what's offered is what's offered.

You're going to have to reverse engineer this post a bit to get any meaningful help. You might even have to do some "research" at a dealer to get a fix on what is "your sound now", as opposed to "your sound then". Then try to find one used.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 04-19-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: