Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #4801
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

I still like the idea of giving each ump Google Glass, and having an app loaded up with the approximate strike zones of each player for that day.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #4802
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Elinating shifts doesn't even produce offense. It just diminishes defense which is a horrible idea.
Will it make a significant difference in offensive numbers? Probably not, but I would think it would have some effect on them, though it's likely not large enough to really be noticeable on a league-wide level. It would open up holes in the infield that would normally be covered though...so more balls will find their way through for hitters who hit everything to one side of the field.

Quote:
They just need to start calling a proper strike zone and you'll have offense out the ass.
That's a start, though to be fair the zone seems to be expanding lower and lower while the upper part of the zone is completely ignored if you go by the rule book. I think the recent decrease in offense is a combination of a bunch of things. In the last 8 years, league-wide K% and BB% are moving in the wrong directions as far as production is concerned. K% increased by a little over 3% and BB% decreased by a little over 1%. Add in all the new tracking data teams have access to and the shifts/positioning that come as a result and the possibility that pitchers might just actually be getting better and it becomes easier to understand why offensive numbers have decreased.

Quote:
I'd be fine with pitch f/x calling balls and strikes to be honest.
I don't agree with this at all.

EDIT: Realized I contradicted myself. Looking at the numbers a little more closely shifts haven't made a noticeable difference on offense. BABIP (batting average on balls in play) and wOBAcon (weighted on base average on contacted balls) haven't changed much over the 15 years.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #4803
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
Will it make a significant difference in offensive numbers? Probably not, but I would think it would have some effect on them, though it's likely not large enough to really be noticeable on a league-wide level. It would open up holes in the infield that would normally be covered though...so more balls will find their way through for hitters who hit everything to one side of the field.

That's a start, though to be fair the zone seems to be expanding lower and lower while the upper part of the zone is completely ignored if you go by the rule book. I think the recent decrease in offense is a combination of a bunch of things. In the last 8 years, league-wide K% and BB% are moving in the wrong directions as far as production is concerned. K% increased by a little over 3% and BB% decreased by a little over 1%. Add in all the new tracking data teams have access to and the shifts/positioning that come as a result and the possibility that pitchers might just actually be getting better and it becomes easier to understand why offensive numbers have decreased.

I don't agree with this at all.

EDIT: Realized I contradicted myself. Looking at the numbers a little more closely shifts haven't made a noticeable difference on offense. BABIP (batting average on balls in play) and wOBAcon (weighted on base average on contacted balls) haven't changed much over the 15 years.

Curious as to why you don't agree with an automated strike zone? Do you not like the removal of the human element, are you worried about errors in calls, or is it something else?
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #4804
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

For this specific topic I don't like taking away the human element. More specifically I like that different umpires have different zones and will call borderline pitches differently (within reason, obviously).
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #4805
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
For this specific topic I don't like taking away the human element. More specifically I like that different umpires have different zones and will call borderline pitches differently (within reason, obviously).

I definitely understand that. Knowing an umpire's zone puts another level of strategy in the game, but I can't help but feel that it would be nice to have a completely objective system that eliminates umpire bias and poor calling from bad umps.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #4806
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

The Orioles did something

I think I'm in shock

Pirates fans tell me who this guy is

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote