Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Cool headstock design. What do you think?

I was browsing around on the Bookface and saw this cool headstock design and some different tuning pegs.
It seems to have a layer of carbon fiber. Would this affect the tone in any way? Or let`s say that you have a really heavy guitar and take some of the edges away and replace them with some carbon fibre, would that severely affect the resonance and the tone?

I would actually love to have those pegs!
Here`s the pic by the way:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....581022392_o.jpg
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

I wouldn't worry yourself about carbon fibre too much. Many acoustic instruments such as cellos and violins are made out of Carbon Fibre, so I'm sure it is fine for a solid-body electric guitar

I've got some carbon fibre drumsticks actually and do you know what they sound like? Drumsticks...

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
LeviMan_2001

Hell I've got some hollow plastic drumsticks, they're heavy but damn powerful.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Holy freaking crap!!! I want those tuners but other than that I don't like it very much
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER5000
Holy freaking crap!!! I want those tuners but other than that I don't like it very much

this....I need those tuners for a roswell i'm building ......
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
jetwash69

The headstock is not going to affect your tone on an electric guitar, but if you don't get the fiber bonded to the wood well enough, you could get a broken headstock out of the deal.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
I've got some carbon fibre drumsticks actually and do you know what they sound like? Drumsticks...

While I quite like the look of the tuners, I can't imagine them being particularly easy to use. The headstock itself I think is pretty hideous - might come in handy for opening giant bottles though.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

Those tuners are sick, the headstock looks like if Parker came out with a Br00talz metal 7 string
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Layzonfon

While I quite like the look of the tuners, I can't imagine them being particularly easy to use. The headstock itself I think is pretty hideous - might come in handy for opening giant bottles though.

I dunno about those tuners though, they're... different
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

tuners are cool, I hate when they get in eachothers way when you tune
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
ohaple

Im not a fan of the tuners. there is always the argument about how headstock weight effects balance and sustain. As for sustain, Im not sure how much of that is actually true/reasonable, but if it had a heavy body I could see it throwing off balance some. The looks of it are killer though
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Does anyone know where to get tuners like those?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
RebuildIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrax
Does anyone know where to get tuners like those?

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?...b79b9630ecfe8bc
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Splanker

Hey, Lyrax,

Quote:
It seems to have a layer of carbon fiber. Would this affect the tone in any way?
As I understand it, yeah, anything on a guitar affects tone. However, does it affect for the better or the worse?

That's the tricky question. Why? Well, "better" or "worse" is subjective, according to the individual player.

From what I've read Carbon Fibre adds all sorts of resonance and anti-vibration properties. BUT, is this what makes a plank sound better or worse?

I dunno. Does anyone?

Is there any way for you to go pick one up and play it, and see what YOU think? I'd be interested in your opinion if you found one to sample.

Last edited by Splanker : 03-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Splanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splanker
Hey, Lyrax,

As I understand it, yeah, anything on a guitar affects tone. However, does it affect for the better or the worse?

That's the tricky question. Why? Well, "better" or "worse" is subjective, according to the individual player.

From what I've read Carbon Fibre adds all sorts of resonance and anti-vibration properties. BUT, is this what makes a plank sound better or worse?

I dunno. Does anyone?

Is there any way for you to go pick one up and play it, and see what YOU think? I'd be interested in your opinion if you found one to sample.

There's a lot of marketing bullshit and exaggeration out there on that, but for a solid body electric guitar plugged in, the bridge/saddle construction, design, & materials, plus the pickups and their locations (including height adjustment) account for 90 - 99.X% of it. Scale length and string gauge are also more significant than the woods or the shape of the guitar itself, as is the internal electronics (pots & caps). Nut material is also a factor on open notes for guitars lacking a zero fret.

Acoustic, hollow body, and semi-hollow body guitars are a different matter, due to their microphonic pickups.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #16
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splanker
Hey, Lyrax,

I dunno. Does anyone?

What's up!
Actually I think I've been in every musicstore in this town and I've never seen a guitar that's made out of carbon fibre och any part of the guitar for that matter.
The only stringed instrument outta carbon fibre I've ever seen was like a cello and I don't play that.
Wait, if the it has anti-vibrating properties and then enhances resonance it doesn't make sense.
The whole body resonates/vibrates when you hit a string right?

Could someone explain?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Could someone explain?
Resonance is the phenomenon of sympathetic vibration at certain frequencies. So a given material can "enhance resonance" at certain frequencies while still having "anti-vibration properties" at others.

I'm with jetwash69 and I think people should stop stressing over what their (solid body electric) guitar's made of because it makes next to no difference when stacked up against construction, electrical components, amplification and effects.

But as for this particular example, that thin veneer of carbon fibre on the back of the headstock is purely aesthetic and will be contributing absolutely nothing to the tone (in my opinion).

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Splanker

Ah you know what? I've just got acoustics in my head and should be recognising the difference to electrics.

Pay more attention Splanker :p
Splanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Acoustic, hollow body, and semi-hollow body guitars are a different matter, due to their microphonic pickups.

That is completely false. Hollow and semi-hollows don't have 'microphonic pickups' any more than solidbody guitars do - actually less in many cases because they are so prone to feedback. A lot of manufacturers use exactly the same pickups in their solid, semi- and hollow-body models.

Those kinds of guitars 'care' more about their body construction because the body resonates so much more than a solidbody does. The body does make a difference, it's just not always noticeable on solidbodies because there's so little vibration going on.

Rate This Thread: