Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
conar5856

Smile stuck in the same blues...

I've recently started to really get into playing a lot of bluesy stuff but everything I play is either in E or A. I need something new in a bad way. Are there any good blues riffs or progressions in a differny key? How would i go about learning this? Advice, resorces, tabs, anything would be more than appriciated.
conar5856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
DylanHendrix
Acid King

Quote:
Originally Posted by conar5856
Are there any good blues riffs or progressions in a differny key? How would i go about learning this? Advice, resorces, tabs, anything would be more than appriciated.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of blues licks and progressions. You need to listen to more blues music ,study the styles of the great players. One of the fun ways I learned was to simply pick an all-time great (Clapton, Hendrix, 3 Kings, Bloomfield, Richards, etc.) and learned as much about his style of playing as possible. Spend a week or two (or 6 months) studying this player, by doing so you learn some the licks and progressions that they regularly use AND you learn to combine different riffs and licks (B.B. King plays so and so lick this way and Clapton adds such and such). By doing this you will expand your blues playing immensely and you'll begin to hear certain licks and progressions on records. I view blues licks like magic tricks, the more you have up your sleeve the better the magician (or musician)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
blazing riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHendrix
There are hundreds upon hundreds of blues licks and progressions. You need to listen to more blues music ,study the styles of the great players. One of the fun ways I learned was to simply pick an all-time great (Clapton, Hendrix, 3 Kings, Bloomfield, Richards, etc.) and learned as much about his style of playing as possible. Spend a week or two (or 6 months) studying this player, by doing so you learn some the licks and progressions that they regularly use AND you learn to combine different riffs and licks (B.B. King plays so and so lick this way and Clapton adds such and such). By doing this you will expand your blues playing immensely and you'll begin to hear certain licks and progressions on records. I view blues licks like magic tricks, the more you have up your sleeve the better the magician (or musician)

+1. Pretty much what this guy said! You can also take a lick or riff or progression you like and transpose it yourself to a different key. You should also try to play it all over the neck in different positions/voicings with the same notes, that way you'l expand your knowledge
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
AndyGray
UG Addict

As above, but I'd also add that you should really learn a bit bit more theory if you can't take a lick & move it into another key.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Gallant69

Two words.. "Garrett Mason" hahah try and ear out some of his licks.
Gallant69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: