Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Questions and advice regarding modding LPs

Well guys, this will be my first time getting a guitar modded, and I'm personally looking forward to it.

So I've been planning on getting a Les Paul-shape guitar, putting a black Bigsby and black pickguard on it and possibly changing the pickups to something like P90s. Since I don't have much to spend (around 300-450), my options for the base guitar are Epiphones, Ibanez and ESP LTDs.

The two options I prefer are the Pelham Blue Epiphone LP Standard and the Ibanez Art 320. If I were to pick either of these, would these mods be possible? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Roc8995

You're going to have to drill for a Bigsby, unless you use a Vibramate. Drilling is cheaper but a Vibramate doesn't put holes in the top. On your budget it probably makes more sense to drill, as long as you're very sure you want a Bigsby.

A black pickguard is super easy on the Epi, just unscrew the old one and put the new one in. On the Ibanez you'll have to find one that fits and drill for it, since they don't come with a pickguard and might not take a standard LP guard.

P-90s are easy, a bunch of companies make a humbucker-sized P90 that will drop right in (Duncan Fat Cats are probably the most common). If you know how to solder it's a quick job, otherwise it's easy enough to learn.

Sounds like a great first modding project. It should work great with either of those guitars. I'm partial to Pelham Blue, myself, so that's my advice.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
You're going to have to drill for a Bigsby, unless you use a Vibramate. Drilling is cheaper but a Vibramate doesn't put holes in the top. On your budget it probably makes more sense to drill, as long as you're very sure you want a Bigsby.

A black pickguard is super easy on the Epi, just unscrew the old one and put the new one in. On the Ibanez you'll have to find one that fits and drill for it, since they don't come with a pickguard and might not take a standard LP guard.

P-90s are easy, a bunch of companies make a humbucker-sized P90 that will drop right in (Duncan Fat Cats are probably the most common). If you know how to solder it's a quick job, otherwise it's easy enough to learn.

Sounds like a great first modding project. It should work great with either of those guitars. I'm partial to Pelham Blue, myself, so that's my advice.

Appreciate the advice, thanks a million

Rate This Thread: